75 etec vs. 60 hp four stroke yammy?

tmg1

Cadet
i earlier posted a question about buying the evinrude 75 hp etec or the merc optimax and favor the etec and seems to be the opinion of most of you on this board.Now for my second and final question the75 etec or the 60 hp four stroke yamaha?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Re: 75 etec vs. 60 hp four stroke yammy?

Night and day. With the e-tec you can go to your destination and be back before the smaller 4 stroke will even manage get up on plane.

lifeisfun

Petty Officer 1st Class

HUH ?
My 17' G3 boat get's on plane in 2 sec with F60 :)

tommays

Admiral

All other facts aside it has 15 more Hp and is lighter it would be pretty sad if it did not perform better

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You must have the 90 HP 60 HP model if you get on plane in 2 seconds. All of the G3's on Yamahas Performance tests show G3 hulls powered by 60 HP 4-strokes take 4.9 to nearly 6 seconds to plane. We are reasonable people. Not stupid.

lifeisfun

Petty Officer 1st Class

Install smartabs and prepare your self to be amazed :)
Without ST is 5.1s in Yamaha performance bulletin.
I can measure the exact time tomorrow if that difference will save you some time :)

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I own a similar boat with a 75 HP Merc Two stroke and it does happen to have smart tabs. It had them well before they became popular. I am well aware that they help getting on plane. But they do not cut on plane time by 2/3. My evidence. Let's see yours.

Engine1.jpg

lifeisfun

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's great, I had those SS on my inflatable now I have SX

f60.jpg

ziemann

Chief Petty Officer

Alrighty, lets get this thread back on track....

I also think the 75hp E-Tec is a clear no-brainer. It is in fact lighter, more HP, better hole shot, and just add oil on a rare occasion.... No oil changes, etc.....you guys know the selling points....

There is certainly nothing wrong with that particular 60 hp Chinese built Mercury.... did I say that out loud?????

Now regarding those Smart Tabs- they are evil: They caused the extinction of the dinosaurs, are high in cholesterol, cause famine in Ethiopia, and will eventually lead to more debate in this thread....

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

It is only slightly off-track. The issue was performance of a 60 HP Yammy vs 75 E-tec. As a shot across the bow, the 60 Yammy supposedly could plane a 17 foot G3 in 2 seconds. When challenged, it was quickly noted that is stated that Smart Tabs make the difference. So without them, the statement is false. Yes - they do make a difference as both of us have stated. I contend however that they will not make a 5+ second boat a 2 second to plane boat (unless perhaps the operator weighs less than 100 pounds), the fuel tank is nearly empty, and there is no gear in the boat). Guess we will never know.

Kev144

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Alrighty, lets get this thread back on track....

I also think the 75hp E-Tec is a clear no-brainer. It is in fact lighter, more HP, better hole shot, and just add oil on a rare occasion.... No oil changes, etc.....you guys know the selling points....

There is certainly nothing wrong with that particular 60 hp Chinese built Mercury.... did I say that out loud?????

Now regarding those Smart Tabs- they are evil: They caused the extinction of the dinosaurs, are high in cholesterol, cause famine in Ethiopia, and will eventually lead to more debate in this thread....

I believe the tohatsu you are talking about is only 40 and lower. Not sure but the tohatsu are not a bad motor at all. At its japan not china.

lifeisfun

Petty Officer 1st Class

Slvertip, I'm not sure what is your problem with Yamaha 4strokes but the whole point was that the boat is nowhere sluggish as suggested in post #2.
If you find that you life expectancy can benefit from 1-2 sec improvement to get boat on plane PLEASE don't hesitate and get etec immediately :)
Good luck.

BillP

Captain

The etec without tabs will eat the yammy with tabs alive.

Not exactly a perfect comparision but I have a carbed 50hp 4 stroke (yammy pwr head merc/mariner) and a old carbed 70hp 2 stroke OMC. It's like comparing apples to oranges.

IF you want tabs do cockpit adjustables...they give higher performance that other tabs can't. About like comparing 60 hp to 75 hp.

bp

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I don't have a problem with Yammy four-strokes. I also own a pontoon with a Suzy 4-stroke and I also have two Johnson tillers. Shows how impartial I am. I am not willing however to accept that a 60 4-stroke will plane a 17 foot G3 in 2 seconds with or without Smart Tabs when Yamahas own testing shows its a 5+ second combination. The original post was asking for a comparison of a 75 E-tec with a 60 Yammy 4S. I'm merely separating the wheat from the chaff.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

And just once more -- this is not about cost effectiveness (and I can discuss that with you too if you like) or being late to a fishing hole. It is simply about your statement that your boat will get on plane in 2 seconds. I contend it will not -- with or without smart tabs. Since we have no way to prove it one way or the other, it's senseless to continue this discussion unless you can post a time slip from a timing organization. And just to make the point even more pertinent to the original discussion, do the test without the tabs since they weren't part of the original question. The point of any forum is to present facts, and when one makes statements like yours, be able to back it up or you will get into a discussion such as this one.

jevery

Chief Petty Officer

Night and day. With the e-tec you can go to your destination and be back before the smaller 4 stroke will even manage get up on plane.

Yep, Evinrude has so much faith in the E-TEC's speed that they run an HO against the competition in the "Head-2-Head" Drag Race and beat a V-Max and a Verado by 2.7 MPH. (Of course they fail to mention that their entry is the HO version).

lifeisfun

Petty Officer 1st Class

And just once more -- this is not about cost effectiveness (and I can discuss that with you too if you like) or being late to a fishing hole. It is simply about your statement that your boat will get on plane in 2 seconds. I contend it will not -- with or without smart tabs. Since we have no way to prove it one way or the other, it's senseless to continue this discussion unless you can post a time slip from a timing organization. And just to make the point even more pertinent to the original discussion, do the test without the tabs since they weren't part of the original question. The point of any forum is to present facts, and when one makes statements like yours, be able to back it up or you will get into a discussion such as this one.

Facts like the etec 75 is lighter than F60 ? :)
Once again I wrote 2 sec since it feels like instant to me
So if it's 2, 3, or even 4 the point is that post #2 is ridicules exaggeration that you didn't correct.

ziemann

Chief Petty Officer

Hey there KEV144-

As an off shoot from my original statement, to correct you, the lower HP models (30 and under) have the Nissan/ Tohatsu heritage. The 40,50,60 hp are US designed and engineered but assembled at the new plant in China.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I didn't make the statement about the weight difference. It was made by someone else who didn't bother to get the facts and thinks that because the E-tec is a two stroke it is automatically lighter than a 4S. I'll buy your explanation that "felt like an instant to me". Peace.