75 etec vs. 60 hp four stroke yammy?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Re: 75 etec vs. 60 hp four stroke yammy?

All I'm going to say. Having been used to 2 strokes, accelerating with a 4 stroke felt like an Eternity to me.

tommays

Admiral

Well

And E-TEC 60 at 240# Vs F60 at 237# would be a better test

The E-TEC is a porker of a 75 at 320 # compared to the F60 at 237# i should have checked the facts first

But if you go 75 to 75 than it is E-TEC at 320# and F75 at 369#

lifeisfun

Petty Officer 1st Class

Tmg1
here is link to post where etec owner describes difference in 115 Yammy and 115 etec
http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=15118

post #18
K heres my 2 cents,ive got an 07 115 Etec,ive had Merc, Yamaha,Omc ,THIS MOTOR is AMAZING on fuel, it is thats the truth,it is alot harder on oil then the claims they promise it burns alot of oil and at 60.00 gallon it adds up fast ,say 5-7 gallons per average yr 100-120hrs,compared to a single oil change on a 4 stroke,Power wise it has no more no less than its 4 stoke competition,the video of it sinking a Yamaha is a JOKE,head to head running around last yr a Friends boat Lund with the 115 4s Yamaha and my boat about equal weight we where nose to nose out of the hole I edged him a bit off plane I have trim tabs and he sneaked by ,got me by 2-3 boat lenghts,the Etec engines likes to be mounted High and need it to acheive max rpm and to turn a decent size prop in comparasion to the competition,trolling heavy for muskie 5-6 days a week 3-4 hrs night for a month I fouled a set of plugs ,at 16.00 a plug it also adds up,knowing what I know now after all the hype would I buy another NO ,am I satisfied with the power,fuel economy Yes,does it start all the time within 1 revouloution yes it does ,it is quite altho it does make some disturbing noises,squeaking ,rattling etc etc but they all do ,ill prob keep this engine as the dealer is less than a mile from my house,my dad is a service tech for BRP ETC ETC ,but all the elec systems and so on .price of the oil ,XD 100 actually was on BO in the later part of the summer whats the deal there I have no idea,YOU cant go wrong with either a Yamaha or Suzuki 4S both solid products,either way good luck and post pics

BillP

Captain

Interesting read but the writer didn't say anything about them tweaking props. Add to that they were in different boats and it factors in huge errors for reliable comparisons for speed, fuel and oil burn. He didn't mention service costs for the 4 stroke either. If you want your jaw to drop, get the suggested service schedule (in hrs) on the yammy and ask the dealer for the avg cost of each....$600, $600, $600 cha ching. You can change oil, do valves and spark plugs but not much else without specialized equip.

bp

lifeisfun

Petty Officer 1st Class

I know 8-10 people with F40-F150 ( 2000-2006) absolutely no problems or $600 service bills :)
Don't forget that with etec you fork out more up front
and in my area re-sale value is higher on 4 strokes.

alanplattdc

Cadet

OK, can we try again. The original intent of the post got lost in the "banter" that followed, so I'll ask more specifically, directed at those who know the answer, more specifically.

I too have the same question, specific to putting either the Etec 75 at 320 lbs (confirmed) OR the Yama T60 (high thrust model) at 248 lbs on an AB 15' VST center console rib, rated at a max HP of 75.

It's for my girlfriend and she wants saftey and quiet. I, at 205 lbs, want to slalom ski behind it. I have 2 Etec 200 HO's, so I know quiet, and hole shot power when it comes to Etec. I have skied behind the Yama T60 on a 13" Nautica, but only because I used a "wide body" ski. No luck with a traditional slalom.

So even though the Yama is 72 lbs lighter, I'm thinking Etec for hole shot power for me and quiet for her, considering both are safe quality wise. The Etec would be a less maintenance, I know by experience, but appears to be abot $600+ more retail.

Opinions, specific, are much welcome.

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade

you,ve allready stated that the yammy didnt do it for you so really i dont get the point of the question with all due respect.you cant compare a 60hp to a 75 no mater what, there,s 15 more hp period.600 bucks for 15 more hp is cheap .personally i got my heart set on a nissian direct injected 2 stroke (70-90) as they have good weight and priceing is ok also.both the 90 and 70 hp tldi nissans weigh in at 315lbs.if i remember correctly for comparison a 75 optimax weighs 370?go with the etec unless ive given yoou something else to think about now,lol