Steering arm assembly?

Steelhead2634

Seaman
I have a 1995 115hp Johnson and i noticed that what i think is called the steering arm is heavily rusted and flakes are coming off. I'm going to try cleaning it up with a wire brush tomorrow, but it looks like it is very thin. I'm worried that if it snaps while under WOT, i'm in deep trouble. It looks like a swivel or neck at the bottom of the motor. I'll try to get pics tomorrow. I bought this boat used last year. It has no rust anywhere else but that one spot. Any ideas on what this might cost to fix? Hours to fix? I'm not that mechanically inclined, so i'd probably opt to have a pro do it. I can handle the basics, but when it gets into removing motors etc. I doubt i have the equipment or know how. Any help would be appreciated!

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Steering arm assembly?

Go to the link below and wind your way to your motor. There are blow-ups of all the components for your motor. Post which number is rusting or take a peak at this...<br /><br />
convert2.gif
<br /><br /> BRP

Steelhead2634

Seaman

Thanks Rick. I believe it is the top part of number 20 in the diagram. I guess the actual motor rests on top of the assembly? Looks pretty corroded and am worried if it snaps i have a new anchor and no motor!

Steelhead2634

Seaman

Here are the picks of the corrosion of the steering arm. <br />
Picture006.jpg
<br />
Picture002.jpg
<br /><br />Any ideas on hours to replace or cost?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Dude....that's just plain ugly! Hard to believe a 95' looks like that. By chance, was/is this a salt water engine?<br /><br />Depending on the model, the steering arm and tube will set ya' back $275 to $350. This could be a time consuming job since you will have to pull the head and disassemble the midsection to replace the arm. <br /><br />You could do it yourself with the help of an OEM manual.

Steelhead2634

Seaman

Yeah, it was a saltwater boat. I thnk the guy kept it in a slip during the season. So $300 or so for the part and how many hours labor? To do it myself i'd need all the right tools on top of that right? Something to pull the head etc. How many hours labor to have it done professionally? Time is limited as my wife and i are expecting our first child the 27th. I'd like to save the $$, but i want it done right too. Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Bbejr

Cadet

For what it's worth. My steering arm on my 84 65hp looks pretty much like that. I'm trying to get mine out and it's not cooperating. I was quoted $580 for the steering arm (20) plus new bearings, seals, and lower nut. Several hour job at the shop.

Steelhead2634

Seaman

$580 for the whole job or just for the parts without labor?<br /><br />Thanks for the response.