How much Aspirin...

WizeOne

Commander
...should you get down someone who has had a stroke? Everything I've heard is that you want to get aspirin in someone fast.

It also seems that if you could rapidly crush it and put it in a cup of water, if the victim has recovered sufficiently to swallow, that would be the best way to administer it.

I'm headed south, to a desert reunion of a bunch of getting to be older dudes and thought I would throw some aspirin in the ol kit just in case.

Drowned Rat

Captain
Re: How much Aspirin...

Never give aspirin to someone having a stroke, not ever. You could kill them if they are having the wrong kind of stroke and there is no way for you to tell. Only an mri or cat scan will tell the tale.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Just throw a charged cell phone into your kit to dial 911..... probably the best bet.

Bob_VT

Staff member

Considering my episode with 6 heart attacks this past July..... I would strongly suggest you take a child's asprin every morning unless you are in my situation where I take an adult size one (post heart attack treatment).

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Considering my episode with 6 heart attacks this past July..... I would strongly suggest you take a child's asprin every morning unless you are in my situation where I take an adult size one (post heart attack treatment).
Hey Bob, I quit the asprin and now take ecotrin.
Better for the stomach as it gets through it before dissolving.

Bob_VT

Staff member

I do take the coated asprin which don't bother me (thankfully). :)

Coors

Captain

Yeah, the aspirin every day, then I bleed like a stuck pig, whenever I work on something.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Guys, aspirin is a drug. It has side effects. Use with care.

As a heart attack preventive it should be taken according to a Cardiologists recommendations (I never take orders from a Doc. Only from my daughters).

My Doc suggests a 81mg at bedtime, daily. My previous Doc had me on a 325mg daily; bleeding ulcer damn near killed me.

NEVER attempt to medicate a person in the midst of a medical crisis except on instructions from a physician.

WizeOne

Commander

Well guys, I was only looking for an emergency situation, like a tourniquet, etc, when medical help was a while away and the victim had recovered sufficiently to safely swallow.

bandit86

Banned

my mom had a heart attack on friday, she's 55. I gave her 2 crushed aspirins but she could only take one the other she coughed up. when paramedics showed up 10 mins later they gave her 4 more, crushed with some water. usually water is a no-no, especially cold, but she couldn't swallow.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

I'm headed south, to a desert reunion of a bunch of getting to be older dudes and thought I would throw some aspirin in the ol kit just in case.

As stated, you don't ever want to give someone an aspirin during a stroke - a heart attack, yes, but not a stroke.

Just issue everyone an aspirin to everyone at breakfast instead. :D

RetNav

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yeah, the aspirin every day, then I bleed like a stuck pig, whenever I work on something.

Try adding a Plavix pill to the aspirin, then get cut or scratched. Blood everywhere.

Bob_VT

Staff member

Try adding a Plavix pill to the aspirin, then get cut or scratched. Blood everywhere.

But with the pills to lower your blood pressure .... it does not squirt as far but it is thin!! :eek:

About a month ago I was talking with a few people my age and one younger guy. We were laughing about out wallet...... we used to carry "protection" in our younger days..... now we all carry copies of our medication list!! :D

WizeOne

Commander

......Just issue everyone an aspirin to everyone at breakfast instead. :D

I think you are onto something here BoatBuoy. 'stead of breakfast, how about giving it to them with their adult beverage. Might get a 2fer that way.

...... we used to carry "protection" in our younger days.....

No doubt, mostly 'protection' from extreme wishfull thinking, huh Bob?:D