1988 90 HP Johnson shutting off

ob

Admiral
Check the condition of the lanyard kill switch rubber cap over the button on the throttle controls just below the ignition switch.This is assuming you have 88' OMC control box.The rubber sometimes stretches out and will cause intermittent ignition failure.I'm pretty sure the 88' controls had the rubber cap.Not positive.<br /><br />Could even be a bad ignition switch.<br /><br />Other than that while running on hose and engine cover removed,try applying some artificial heat ( hair dryer) to the power pack/s and coils,one component at a time, and see if you can simulate your warm engine ignition failure.Sometimes these components experience warm failure when they're going out.

ralkarcon

Cadet
1988 90 HP Johnson shutting off

Help!<br />I have a 1988 90 HP V4 outboard on a 1988 16' Seaswirl boat.<br />The engine will shut off for 1-2 seconds every 12 seconds after engine is warm and between 3,000 and 4,000 RPMS. I have had the engine checked by a reputable boat repair shop and a boat dealer/repair shop. They were unable to simulate the problem. They checked the ignition and fuel systems as well putting the engine on a load dyno. They found the engine to be running very well with no apparant problems. They even moved wires under the dash and on the motor but no shut offs. They have given up save offering to start replacing parts such as the power pac.<br />I have purchased and reviewed the manual for the motor. I did not find any help for my symptons in the trouble shooting section.<br />I have reviewed all 34 pages in this forum and did not find any similiar problem.<br />The shut off is the same as turning the ignition switch off and on. <br />I think the problem may be the power pac unit. Any ideas before I replace the power pac unit?<br />Thanks.<br />Ralph

ralkarcon

Cadet
Re: 1988 90 HP Johnson shutting off

Thanks.<br />My ignition switch is on the dash.<br />Ralph

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> to test for intermittant pack failues you must use a cd-77 or equavalent meter. hook up the metwer to the pack outputs and go test run the motor if the meter( this is why I like analog over digital) starts swinging then test the trigger inputs and staotor inputs. also do the test with the blk/yellow wire dissconected at the pack to elimiate kill switch and ign switch failures,. if the trigger and stator inputs are ok and pack output is bad odds are the pack is failing. its rather common on the single pack four cylinders. this aint voodoo nor anchient black magic. its a simple electronic circuit.<br /> another spot to check is the condition of the ground lug on the pack.<br /> this is why I have 3 dva meters. so I can test while running. if you buy a stevens cd-77 it will come with instructions and test adapters for your engine. be aware that they are not cheap :) .<br /> good luck and keep posting<br />ps the last one I did was a 225. had the same symptoms<br /> rode around the currituck sound for 2 hours before it failed but the test equipment was hooked up and we spotted the failure. also found that if I kept my fingers on the port pack it would stay working,remove them and it quit again. went from the currituck bridge to colington with my hand on the pack.

ralkarcon

Cadet

Thanks.<br />I just changed the ignition switch and going to the lake to check out.<br />If i still have the probem I am going to purchase a power pack as this seems to be the next logical problem area.<br />I found the new part for $102 on iboats and $25 on ebay for a used part.<br />We will see..........

ralkarcon

Cadet

I just returned from the lake. I boomed out on two fronts. I did not catch any fish and the motor is still shutting off as outlined earlier.<br /><br />Guess I will order the power pack.<br /><br />More to follow........

DHPMARINE

Captain

Does the motor look like it is trying to throw itself off the transom?<br />If so it may be trying to enter into 's.l.o.w' mode.This a function to help you get ashore when overheated.<br />It cuts the RPM's down to help preserve the engine.But also get you safe .<br /><br />DHP

ralkarcon

Cadet

Nope. The motor just shuts off and back on withing a second. The rpms stay up. I just replaced the power pack and ran a test on the lake. Same symptoms at 4000 rpms. I am my wits end.

ob

Admiral

What type and brand of controls do you have in the boat.OMC controls should have a lanyard kill switch.Does yours have one? If so, have you ruled it out as culprit in your symptoms?<br /><br />Also,might be time to get a factory manual and test each ignition component as per specs.

ralkarcon

Cadet

Thanks.<br />Yes, I have OMC controls. I have a single lever contol. What is a lanyard kill switch and where would I find it? What does it look like? I have clymer manual. I could not find a factory manual. Do you know where to get one?<br />Also could this problem be caused by a faulty shift interrupter switch? I do not know if the motor has one nor do I know where to look or what to look for.

ob

Admiral

You'll find the safety lanyard switch within the controls , and the clip portion just below the ignition switch on the control box.Yours will either have a fork shaped piece of plastic that holds the ignitioin grounding contacts in the 'open' position ,or a ruberized cap that snaps over the top of the safety switch button.This is a feature that is there to protect the operator in the event he is thrown overboard.Providing one is wearing the lanyard ,the igntion will kill and the engine shuts down.These can and do experience problems and can have the symptom you describe.I've had it happen to me . If your controls have the rubber type cap,they are particularly prone to this over time as the rubber stretches out and can cause intermittent grounding of the ignition.<br /><br />Your 90 hp engine doesn't use a shift interupter switch.<br /><br />You can get a factory manual either through your local dealer or from<br /><br />ww3.kencook.com/evinrudejohnsonmanuals/

ralkarcon

Cadet

Thanks.<br />The switch is on the dash across from the ignition switch. I will need to order one. Do you have an email address for a parts store? I looked for the switch on Iboats.com without success. I plan to just change out the switch since it will probably be under $20.00.<br />You stated you have had my problem happen to you. Did you experience the shutoff every 12 seconds at 4,000 rpms?

ralkarcon

Cadet

Well I changed the power pack, the ignition switch and the kill switch and still the motor shuts off.<br />We can not reproduce the shut off out of the water.<br />I really like this little boat but this shut off problem has me, my friends and 2 boat repair shops at our wits end!<br /><br />Any more ideas!

angus63

Captain

Does the motor do the same thing if run above 4000 RPM ????

ralkarcon

Cadet

Yes. I am afraid "duct tape" has met its match with my engine...........

Walker

Captain

The motor just shuts off and back on withing a second. The rpms stay up.
maybe its not shutting off. Maybe your gearbox is skipping.

fireman57

Captain

Just another thought since we are grasping here. Have you checked all your wiring for splices? Sometimes they are bad and will short and then reconnect. Remove all your electrical connections and clean thoroughly even the ones on the engine. Check your wiring harness for good connection at the engine plug. Remove and clean posts and holes.

angus63

Captain

Is the "shutting off" rythmic or random? If rythmic, eliminate fuel being issue and concentrate on electrical issues. You can also rule out gearing if it is rythmic and 12 seconds apart. If random, I would verify fuel supply is adequate first before attacking the rest.

ralkarcon

Cadet

The shutting off is rythmic. The shut off/on every 12 seconds will occur as long as you run the boat at speed. The shut off is just like turning the key off and on. The shut off will occur once in a while at rpms under 2,000. <br /><br />The gear box is good. I checked the plug ins for the electrical and all are clean and tight. The boat repair shop ran the motor under load and moved/pulled all the wiring but could not duplicate in their shop. <br /><br />The fuel supply is good per the boat shop.<br /><br />I am at a loss of what to do next. I may start calling boat repair/dealers in my area and see if I can speak to the mechanic and see if he has every the same situation. This has to be an electrical/ignition problem.<br /> <br />Sure would be a nice Christmas present if my motor could be fixed.........