Troybilt/MTD riding Mower

i386

Captain
It's a Troybilt/MTD mower w/16HP Kholer engine. I've seen quite a few different brands that are the same mower.

This mower has developed a problem. Haven't been under it yet so I don't exactly how the drive system works. I'm mostly familiar with the blades and cup holder feature.;) I believe it's some sort of continually variable gear ratio thing involving v shaped pulleys and belts. Anyway, when in gear it sort of lurches at a quick and regular interval. I can feel it in the "accelerator" pedal too. Bump bump bump bump bump...

I think I'll try to get under it this evening. Any idea what I should be looking for? It only does it when in gear.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Troybilt/MTD riding Mower

My money is on the drive belt. I bet you have a worn (thin/narrow) spot on the belt and when it is engaged it slips a bit ..... then grabs.

If it is the belt be sure to get an OEM or a green one.

i386

Captain

Right on the money Bob. I can't believe it hasn't broken yet because it's in really bad shape.

I had to remove the deck to get a good look at it. I'm pretty good at taking that off and putting it back on since you have to do that to change the deck belt.

It is not clear to me what all must be removed to change the drive belt. I am searching for that procedure now.

Model: 13AX609G063
Serial No: H279H10423

The tractor was purchased at Lowes somewhere around 2000 give or take.

Bob_VT

Staff member

Sad to say but.... you just have to remove anything in the way to get to the belt and if it's the upper one...... you probably have to remove quite a bit...

i386

Captain

Yea...

I haven't found much on it yet, but some are saying you have to take the engine bolts loose and slide back the engine. There is also discussion of the pulleys being destroyed when pulled because they're soft. Also the term "impact wrench" has come up a couple of times. This is going to be interesting to say the least.

I'm gathering that this is not a popular tractor to work on. In the age of companies changing hands so often, it's important to realize that brand names don't mean as much as they used to. There's nothing Troy-Bilt about this thing. We're generally research things to death before making a major purchase. We didn't with this mower.:redface: My next mower will not have this type of drive system, but I need this one to get me by for a few more years.

Bob_VT

Staff member

I doubt the pulley needs to be removed. You will have to get tight tension on the belt but it should go on like a fan belt since it is a closed loop.

i386

Captain

Hopefully not but here's the thing. The pulley with the belt is right under the engine. Then there's the PTO clutch and deck pulley on the same shaft. It looks like the PTO clutch and pulley have to come off to access the pulley for the drive belt. It's ugly under there!

i386

Captain

I found the procedure per MTD. Well I don't have to move the engine, but the PTO clutch and pulley does have to come off. I'm glad I found those postings about that pulley being soft. Now I won't freak out if it gets bent all to hell during removal.:D I'm hoping the belts will be in stock and that I won't have to order a new pulley. I'd like to get this booger fixed and grass cut asap so I can work on my boat resto this weekend!:)

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

Just about all brands are made by MTD. Even John Deer is MTD now. The deer's that you buy at Blows and Home cheapo are MTD john deers. There is only a couple of brands that are not MTD. I like those Kohler motors though especially the twin cylinder ones. The kohler single cylinder motors are ok buy the twins are so much smoother and more powerful. My mower has a 16.5 twin briggs and it used to have a 18hp single clyinder briggs. I think that the 16.5 twin has more power than the 18hp single cylinder. The twin cylinders dont ever bog down like the single cylinders do.

i386

Captain

Just about all brands are made by MTD. Even John Deer is MTD now. The deer's that you buy at Blows and Home cheapo are MTD john deers. There is only a couple of brands that are not MTD. I like those Kohler motors though especially the twin cylinder ones. The kohler single cylinder motors are ok buy the twins are so much smoother and more powerful. My mower has a 16.5 twin briggs and it used to have a 18hp single clyinder briggs. I think that the 16.5 twin has more power than the 18hp single cylinder. The twin cylinders dont ever bog down like the single cylinders do.

I think mine has the single cylinder engine. My FIL has one like mine except it's a 22HP 2cyl briggs and a 46" deck (mine's 42").

I really shouldn't complain too much. Besides changing blades and PTO belts I never have to work on the thing. Documentation is easily available as well are part numbers. If you can't find what you need locally you can order parts online direct from the mfg. I'm just not too crazy about the drive system.

My belts should be here tomorrow (local dealer order). If that works out I think I'll go ahead and service it myself while I'm at it. It's due for it.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I just replaced the drive belt on my Craftsman a couple weeks ago.
It looked like it was going to be a real pain.
It ended up taking all of 10 minutes.I pulled the blade belt off the front pulley and worked the drive belt off.No tools needed and did not drop the deck.
The guy at Sears told me the deck needed to be removed and the tension pulley taken off.:rolleyes:
Also found the belts at Tractor supply for 14 bucks,the Kevlar belt that Sears wanted 35 bucks for.Most all belts are made by AYP for all brands of mowers.
I hope yours turns out easy!!

i386

Captain

I just replaced the drive belt on my Craftsman a couple weeks ago.
It looked like it was going to be a real pain.
It ended up taking all of 10 minutes.I pulled the blade belt off the front pulley and worked the drive belt off.No tools needed and did not drop the deck.
The guy at Sears told me the deck needed to be removed and the tension pulley taken off.:rolleyes:
Also found the belts at Tractor supply for 14 bucks,the Kevlar belt that Sears wanted 35 bucks for.Most all belts are made by AYP for all brands of mowers.
I hope yours turns out easy!!

Dang, I didn't think about checking Tractor Supply. Too late now as I've already ordered mine.

I don't think I'll get mine done in 10 mins. This one might be a 3 or 4 beer job.

It goes something like this...
Remove Battery.

Remove PTO belt and deck.

Remove Battery Tray to access rear pulleys.

Pull drive idler pulley back and remove variable speed drive belt.

Remove variable speed pulley to access the smaller pulley for the long drive belt.

Climb under mower and remove the one of the 2 idler pulleys.

Disconnect the wiring harness for the electric PTO clutch.

Remove PTO clutch.

Lower the drive pulley enough to get the belt off. ** This is the pulley that is often seized from what I've read. It's made of thin aluminum. A puller will remove it, but will destroy it in the process.

Remove belt.

Unthread the belt with a helper pushing from the rear while pulling from the front.

Reassemble in reverse order.

Dismantle a bunch of other crap to set the pedal height if it needs adjusting.

Should be interesting! I'm really glad I found the instructions because I would have have taken apart a lot of different stuff and still wouldn't have gotten the belt off. Getting older and wiser pays off sometimes.:)

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

MAN! I hope the belt lasts for at least 10 years!:eek:

What a pain!

i386

Captain

So much for optimism....

Everything came off as instructed except the pulley on the drive shaft. It's siezed. And just like I read, it's soft and did not survive my 3 jaw puller. I will have to pull the engine to get better access to it. :mad: I took a few pics of this fiasco that I will share later. I would normally be irate at this point, but since everything I've ran into has been right on the money with what I've read I'm taking it all in stride.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Thats a real bummer..:(
Look at it this way,it will have a new pulley too....:)

i386

Captain

Thats a real bummer..:(
Look at it this way,it will have a new pulley too....:)

Hehe, yea that's one way to look at it. I got a new 2-3 jaw puller too!

I think these tell the story better than I can...

DSC02330.JPG

DSC02332.JPG

DSC02333.JPG

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Wonder if the new pulley is a harder steel?
You can tell the drive belt was ready to go:)

Bob_VT

Staff member

The sides of the pulley are just a guide. They were not designed to have a 3 jaw puller ....... if you were frugal (cheap) you could probably bend those flanges back..... I would replace it.

Your photos show the wear based on the depth of the belt in the pulley.

I would bet that a kevlar belt generates a tremendous heat and with that pulley being right outside the crank...... maybe they lose temper.

i386

Captain

The sides of the pulley are just a guide. They were not designed to have a 3 jaw puller ....... if you were frugal (cheap) you could probably bend those flanges back..... I would replace it.

Your photos show the wear based on the depth of the belt in the pulley.

I would bet that a kevlar belt generates a tremendous heat and with that pulley being right outside the crank...... maybe they lose temper.

It's tempting to use the same one, but a new one is only $30. I'm afraid that even if I bend it back it will be out of balance and also harder to get off next time. Speaking of, is there any reason to not put some anti-seize on the new part when I install it?

Hindsight...

This is what I will do next time. If it's seized, I will find a way to stand the mower up. I'll shoot it with some PB blaster and use the puller and torch. If it doesn't move I'll just see if I can take the engine mounting bolts out and slide the engine back enough to get the belt off.

The tabs on the frame that surround the pulley make it impossible for the belt to slip off accidentally. That's a good thing I guess. They could have made this thing a lot more serviceable by replacing the tab design with something that bolts around the pulley.

This thing ought to work like new when I'm done with it.

Mike722

Petty Officer 1st Class

Two things, First John Deere mowers are not made by MTD. The ones sold at Lowes and Home Depot are the same ones sold at Local JD dealers. They are made in Greeneville, Tenn in a JD Factory.

Second, the best way I have found to remove those type of pulleys is to install a short bolt back into the crank shaft so it bottoms out on the head of the bolt. Use an air hammer (bump gun) on the bolt and the pulley most of the time will vibrate off the shaft. Adjust the air down low so as not to hurt the internal parts. Before installing the pulley back on apply anti seeze on the shaft.