WOB's (waste oil burners)

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
Anybody here using them? I'm thinking about making/buying one to heat my house. I want to set it up similar to the outside woodburner types using a loop system. Has anyone seen a system like this out there? Thanks,,,,,SS

Summer Fun

Banned
Re: WOB's (waste oil burners)

We have i one our shop and its works great. sorry no pics of it .We keep the heat set on 70* all winter and thats nice.:) The best part is the oil is free

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

They are popular here in auto shops. The toyota dealership I work at uses one but it is a commercial unit.

I built one for a small shop years ago and I had oil that would drip onto a burner assemble that I made. Lots of heat but was a crude set up and required cleaning very often.

I believe there are small commercial ones on the market.

The McD's owner here in town (owns 18 of them) recycles all his veggie oil into bio-diesel. Now that can be used as heating oil and he also burns it in his Mercedes and diesel trucks.

Mike722

Petty Officer 1st Class

Our business has one force air model in the old shop and a hot water floor heat unit in the new shop. The floor heat unit is not working as promised and we will have to install a back up forced air system before winter.

We go thru over 6000 gallons of oil during an average Illinois winter in the old shop alone. The oil we get is not always in good shape (antifreeze, water, dirt, etc). Lines get plugged every once and awhile. The units also need to be cleaned once or twice a season.

I am not sure what size or company ours are. The local auto parts stores might have some info on them.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Anybody here using them? I'm thinking about making/buying one to heat my house. I want to set it up similar to the outside woodburner types using a loop system. Has anyone seen a system like this out there? Thanks,,,,,SS

How big would your carbon footprint be?:p;):D

jimr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

they are not worth the hassle of retreiving the used oil . We are getting 40 cents a gallon for the stuff we collect from the public from a company that sells it to batch plants to heat the mixture. we only burn the stuff we produce and we run out every year. like said it needs cleaning, the oil needs to be kept warm so it will flow, it needs a continous air compressed air supply. ours is loud also (low bid) I have worked in shops with clean burn and black gold and they are good ones

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

This was just an idea to to think about. It wouldn't be my main heat source as like my wood burner. Hauling, splitting , stacking, and feeding the woodburner gets to be a hassle each year that goes by.

I've done some research and there is 3 main drawbacks. Cleaning, viscosity, and big swings in output of heat.

It might be best if I can find out how to convert used fryer oil to burn in my fuel oil furnace vs the WOB idea.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

This was just an idea to to think about. It wouldn't be my main heat source as like my wood burner. Hauling, splitting , stacking, and feeding the woodburner gets to be a hassle each year that goes by.

I've done some research and there is 3 main drawbacks. Cleaning, viscosity, and big swings in output of heat.

It might be best if I can find out how to convert used fryer oil to burn in my fuel oil furnace vs the WOB idea.

OR Strike up a deal for someone who uses fryer oil for their biodiesel and either trade for $$$ or biodiesel in return. The biodiesel is tough on filters.

aspeck

Staff member

We had two in the dealership. Both were forced air units, but could easily have been converted to water heat. The first one was the old drip into the pan type. It needed cleaned every morning before restoking. We used it for daytime heat, when we wanted the place warmer, and let the regular oil furnace handle the night time work.

The other was a newer model that used an injector to spray the oil into the burner. This one only needed cleaning about once every other week. It was more efficient, also. Both did wonders and kept our oil heat at a very low cost - and because we had them we did not need to do the paperwork the state required on the waste oil.

They are great "free heat" units.