legal capacity for my boat

jwilkey84

Chief Petty Officer
I own a 1965? Arkansas Traveler aluminum boat, but there is no coast guard tag on it that I can find. The local courthouse told me that it is the disgresion of the owner to decide how many people can safely occupy the boat. But my neighbor tells me otherwise. He says every boat must have a tag that says how many people can be in it. There is one tag on my boat on the back corner of the boat. Do any of those numbers mean anything as far as the people capacity? It is a metal tag that is just a code of some type, but it isn't like most modern coast guard tags I have seen.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: legal capacity for my boat

They didn't have them back then, I think they started standardized posting limits in the early 70s. If it's a 14 footer, 4 people and 40Hp would be prudent. 15s are still for 4 people, but 50Hp is OK. Lack of that tag works in your favor. Nothing for the Law to base a ticket on. Except for common sense. All you have to be is prudent. Don't put in more people than there are seats for, and don't hang anything on it too silly. A Merc 650 on a 15' Arkansas Traveler probably wouldn't attract much attention. An 80???????

npd4432

Chief Petty Officer

Here in Pennsylvania if your boat does not have a capacity plate the Pennsylvania fish and boat commish. will inspect and plate your boat for free. Check with your local authorities they can be very helpful.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

I think they work it out ... 2 people per 1 metres of your boat's length ..

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

DJC, Two persons per 1 meter means I can have 10 people in my 16' speedboat? Not sure that is the correct formula.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

Sorry I went to go make sure and this is how it works, well here in SA anyway: -- 1 person per meter + 1person, for eg. if you have a 5meter boat the max will be 6 persons. Chris your 16' speedboat is 4,8 meter so your max will be 6 persons, am I right?

vegas_storms

Seaman Apprentice

My 17ft cobalt is tagged 8 persons/1350 pounds, but that's way more than 1 per meter. Go figure:eek: .

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

DJ, Six persons in my speedboat is OK if at least two are kids and the Coast Guard, Marine Police, State Police or Local Police aren't looking. Does that sound like a lot of police agencies that are on the job, to you?

valkyr

Chief Petty Officer

(L x W) / 15 = capacity for most boats I believe.

L = length
W= width

See:
Boat Ed Site

divertodd

Seaman Apprentice

I have a 12' flat bottom pointed bow Arkansas Travler. The capacity plate says 2 people and hit has a 5hp max on the motor.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

(L x W) / 15 = capacity for most boats I believe.

L = length
W= width

See:
Boat Ed Site

Seems to work out a little high for me.
16.5 ft boat 6.5ft beam = 7.1 persons
I have 6 seats and would not go out with more than 5 on board.
Mind you I first tried it in inches and found that I could put 1019.2 people on board.
I guess you use this in feet eh !!!!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

why are we beating a year old post the originator never responded to?

divertodd

Seaman Apprentice

why are we beating a year old post the originator never responded to?

My Bad. I am new to the forum and neglected to check the post date. Please don't keel haul me...it won't happen again...sorry