steering upgrade?

dennis352

Cadet
I m looking at having to replace a steering cable on my boat. I have a mechanical 2 cable system on it. I was hoping to get some opinions on upgrading the entire system. I have been overhauling this boat for the past year and this is one of the last things i must address before its in the water again. It is a 90 fish and ski with a 150 johnson . What are some of my options that you guys have experience with. Any opinions will be appreciated<br />Thanks

Trent

Captain
Re: steering upgrade?

Depends on the room you have under the dash. Lots of room go with the rack style. Not much room go with the rotary style. For a few bucks more get the "no feedback system".

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

The problem with the "no feedback system" on a small craft is that it takes about twice as many turns on the wheel to turn the craft...not always a bad thang, but I found that I prefer the standard Teleflex rotary, or the Teleflex Rack styles. The other option that I am aware of is the hydraulic steering...if I was gonna upgrade, and if the steering on the boat is working now, I would look at the hydraulic steering choices on iboats Mega Mall. I just finished a 15 foot fishing boat with a 100hp Erude, and put a 25 year old rack in because I like how smooth and solid it feels...just a Thought :)

Mettaree

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thought101: The Teleflex NFB Safe-T II is only three (3) turns lock to lock. Can't get much faster than that.<br /><br /> :)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Moving to Boats