19 Foot MFG Boat Restoration

Chrismas Sko

Seaman
Also have some stringer questions! Well first, what is the best way to fix the keel tubing? I had to cut some out at the front, can I put a piece of PVC in the places I cut it out and csm over them to form new tubes? Regarding the stringers, the ones that run front to back, should I leave notches in them so that I can set the the perpendicular ones in or do I just cut the lengthwise ones so they fit right between the lengthwise stringers and pb them in? Also, when cutting limber holes, Im asuming you do that before putting them in. How do you glass over the limber holes? Do you glass over them and then cut them back out again, or do you try to go around it? Thanks!

Shakedownscott

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Looking real nice and clean, great job on the grinding.

I would take a look at the thickness of the plywood in your transom. Mine was two pieces of 3/4" plywood, or 1-1/2 total thickness. You can glue the pieces together with PB or titebond III wood glue. 1708 biaxial fiberglass would be a good choice to go over the transom after it is glued in with PB. WOG has a great link in his signature thatexplains all of this. Read this a few times and it should make things clear.

I would not notch the stringers, just fit the perpendicular ones (called bulkheads) in between the stringers and glue with PB.

Not sure about pvc as a form, don't see why it wouldn't work? I used the old tubes as forms and used two layers of 1708, I don't think csm is strong enough for this.

Chrismas Sko

Seaman
hey guys so. I was out working today and I left to run an erand and left the boat uncovered. It started downpouring while I was out and got soaked for about 30 mins. Is this bad??! I dried it off as soon as I got home

Chrismas Sko

Seaman
Also, Im planning to buy some resin. Where is the best place to buy it? I also read that it wont harden in the presence of air. I really dont know much about it. I thought you just put three layers with csm or what not and it hardens fully. I am kind of confused. Also when the deck is finished and glassed, how do you get it white and ready to be walked on?

Thanks!

Chrismas Sko

Seaman
Thank you SDS and WOG. I will make sure I note all of those pints in the transom reconstruction and keel suport!

Chrismas Sko

Seaman
Update for today. I am done sanding and grinding. I Got every corner and the bits on the side and I could not be more happy to be through with that.

I have a few qs also before cutting out the transom. Which part exactly is the transom?

And if it is the larger one, wont i rack the glass on the back of the boat?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
The transom is the part you have your fingers on in the pictures. The transom is made up by the outside hull fiberglass section, the wood in the middle, and the inside fiberglass section. Your pictures have your finger on the transom itself between your fingers. And you cut the inside of that glassed in section and NOT the outside. Once you get the rotted wood out of there, then you grind that area like you did with the rest of the hull as well. And before I forget, your grinding looks great. You have the worst part behind you now. Cut the inside glass out and remove all the wood and then grind anything that is remaining so it looks exactly like you did for the rest of the grinding. At that stage you are ready to start making your new transom to install back in. I'd like to follow your project along if that is okay with you.

Chrismas Sko

Seaman
Thank you so much for the suport and advice! That would be great if you followed my progress! I can use all the help I can get, thank you. So I cut out everything up to the .1" fiberglass backing that is connected to the hull of the boat? As WOG suggested, I wil cut small bits with a swa atachment on my grinder so that the wood is cut into little 2" squares but the outside glass is untouched, then I will chisle them out.

Chrismas Sko

Seaman
So I have produced a list of the products I am going to get (all based on the great list you provided me WOG). I want to try to be as thrifty as possible so if its possible for me to save money on a certain product I would love to know!

435 Standard layup polyester resin ($125 per 5 gallons)
http://www.uscomposites.com/polyesters.html

Cabosil filler quart ($15)
https://www.amazon.com/Cabosil-Filler-Quart-Aerosil-Thickener/dp/B00RDB6JOK

1/4" chopped glass fibers (1.5 gallons for $17)
http://www.fibreglast.com/product/14_Chopped_Glass_Fibers_30/Fillers

10 yards CSM ($90)
https://www.amazon.com/Yards-Fiberg..._SR120,160_&psc=1&refRID=QVRMAEG7ES47AZNBK3XP

1708 50" width ($7.80 per yard)
http://www.uscomposites.com/specialty.html

Rollers 1" diameter 6" wide ($15)
http://www.fibreglast.com/product/Plastic_Rollers_411/Supplies_Tools_Rollers_Squeegees

Best, C

tallcanadian

Captain
Pick up a wood chisel. I suspect that the transom will come off in small pieces. I found a chisel to work very nicely especially getting down the end with all those million of small woods pieces stuck to the outside skin. Be patient with this part.lol. You are doing great so far. Nice clean work.

Chrismas Sko

Seaman
Thanks a lot for the advice! I actually have one lying around TC so I will snag that! I have a few questions also. Once I get the transom cut and off, how do I get PB all over the transom and wood without it drying on me? I am not exactly sure what to use to spread it, and I am not sure how long I have to work until it starts to harden haha? Also, will it dry ok outsied in 70 degree weather?

tallcanadian

Captain
Mix your pb and put it on the side transom that is going next to the Fiberglass skin. Spread it with a trowel so it costs even. You will need to clamp it with transom clamps. The pb should squeeze around the edges. You can level this off as fillets. You can use other clamps as long as you can clamp all the transom tight. I made these particular ones.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Also pre mix your pb but do not add the mekp until just before you need it .. I would stick with a 1% ratio on the hardener ...Mix up a couple containers before hand If you make too much it can be saved for later as long as you do not add the hardener to it ..An extra set of hands would be helpful if you can get a helper ...

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
The transom wood can be replaced in a number of ways. The object, though, is to seal it against water intrusion as best you can before mounting it in the hull. I use epoxy. (Woodonglass has a formula that does the trick well, and more cheaply.) You don't need marine plywood. Get some decent A/C, and use a couple of sheets of 3/4 thickness (typical) sandwiched together. You can use epoxy or resin or 5200 to sandwich the sheets. I combine an adhesive and drywall screws (stainless wood screws if you like) -- seal in the screws. When it's all put together, you seal the whole piece -- special attention to the edges. It doesn't hurt to seal the edges with the resin and polyester you are using (I use thickened epoxy.) Let the wood soak up the resin/epoxy, then coat it.

For installation, use the adhesive of choice. I've used 5200 and that works well, and gives some set up time. Dry fit first. I also use screws again from either the inner or outer skin, or both, then seal in the screw heads. That requires painting or gel coating for finish, so depends on your plans. Another approach for fasteners might be carriage bolts, through bolted from the outside. In combination with the other hardware (e.g., transom eyes), that can give a mechanical method to go with the adhesive.

Water gets into the transom core from the top -- little screws that hold the cap, for example. 5200 is the best for sealing up at the top (not permanent).

You have the hull opened up and might be able to get the old wood out of the envelope from the top. You will likely need to some up with some creative tools. I have an old crow bar with a sharpened end for gouging it out. I think I would try it from the top first. I've cut off the inner or outer skins too -- can do either one.

When finished, the transom will be at least as good as when it left the factory -- good for another 30 or 40 years.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Thanks a lot for the advice! I actually have one lying around TC so I will snag that! I have a few questions also. Once I get the transom cut and off, how do I get PB all over the transom and wood without it drying on me? I am not exactly sure what to use to spread it, and I am not sure how long I have to work until it starts to harden haha? Also, will it dry ok outsied in 70 degree weather?

There is some very good ideas and suggestions offered previously. I would only add one thing. And this isn't a much do, but a little idea to help install your transom with the long wooden clamps.

Sam's ideas (sphelps) about mixing your PB and right before needing to use it, mix in the MEKP, is by far a great idea. As is his mix up a few containers of PB without any MEKP and then if you need more use the MEKP and mix away. However when you do finally add the MEKP, you have to mix it at least a few minutes to make certain it all gets mixed together properly. And that does include scraping the side of the container as well into the mix.

When I did my transom, I too made and used those long wooden clamps as tallcanadian pictures show, but I did one other thing as well. And that was I also used a piece of plywood on the outside of the transom to make sure I didn't get any wavy look on the outside transom skin. Some folks were talking about their transom outside had some wavy looking issues because the clamps squeeze tightly and cause it to cure that way. So I used a large piece of plywood on the other side transom as well to make sure that didn't happen.
Transom-10.jpg

Transom-8.jpg

Hope that helps you out some. :thumb:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Make sure and do a "Dry Run" installing your transom so you'll know what to expect. Get the sequence down. Once you mix that first batch of resin you ARE committed and there's no time for any OOPS issues. You're gunna use 3-4 quarts of PB so I'd recommend mixing 2 quarts initially and have 1 more ready to go and add hardener to it IF it's needed.

Chrismas Sko

Seaman
Hey Guys! First off thank you for all the help and advice! Its a huge game changer.
TC, I will surly create some of those clamps. How exactly did you make them. Are there just two bolts that tighten and loosen? Awsome Idea! Sphelps, is the MEKP the hardener? I will for sure make a few batches. Is 1% hardener the standard?

Thank you OB1. Tons of info there, I will do my best to do all of those things. A few questions. What is 5200 and where can i get it? Is it nessisary, or will PB or Titebond work also? How do you put the screws in, and how many? Do you fill those holes with epoxy? When you say seal the whole piece, what exatly do you mean (what is the method for sealing?)? Also, what do you mean by fasteners? Do you mean after PBing it onto the hull skin, and then putting bolts in?

GM280 Thanks for that great Idea. I have a piece of cheap ply lying around so i will try to clamp it on the back to maintain a flat profile.

I had a very productive day today. I was able to get the whole thing off. It was very wet inside but still very tough. A real mess!

Cutting the little squares with the circle saw was much harder than I thought, but an awsome technique.

I have a few questions moving forward. I did make one small crack in the gell coat today. What is the best way to patch it? Also, How do I go about patching the small holes I made in the hull cleaning it?

This is where the right side of the engine was bolted to the boat. Pretty messed up. Should I go about fixing it in the same way?

Thanks!

Chrismas Sko

Seaman
Thank you for the quantity measurments WOG and I will do a dry run. What is the best order to do everything? and would you recomend I mix my PB and then like, dump it on the new transom, spread it even and then get it up quick and clamp it? And then fillet the pb on the sides and if for some reason it does not squish out at some areas, fill it in. Does this sound good?
Thanks!

Chrismas Sko

Seaman
I will be grinding the wood off tomorow and getting down to clean glass or epoxy below the wood.