Wont shift into fwd when it does it slams hard?

ilove2fixx

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

Unless the throttle cable is off ? It seems like it way to high almost hitting the top engine cover , and one nut is loose ? See pic

Attachments

• photo244148.jpg
    photo244148.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member
well i came back and it wont shift onti first , after many attempts it will catch... but sometimes it revs high and catches and that impact is nasty..

its a mercruiser 3.0 2003 bayliner

Ayuh,.... That nut should be snug against the bushin' on the shaft,....

Ya gotta be lookin' at the shift cables,....

Disconnect the lower shift cable, 'n see if you can manually shift the drive into forward, 'n reverse,....

ilove2fixx

Chief Petty Officer
Ayuh,.... That nut should be snug against the bushin' on the shaft,....

Ya gotta be lookin' at the shift cables,....

Disconnect the lower shift cable, 'n see if you can manually shift the drive into forward, 'n reverse,....

So that throttle cable cant be bad ? It looks a little rusty? Ill tighten the nut and Can i spray it with white lithuim grease ?

And you said the lower cable ? On my engine , the lower one is the one that goes to the helm.
And when doing that test it should be in neutral ?

thumpar

Admiral
The lower shift cable is the one that goes from the shift plate on the engine to the drive.

ilove2fixx

Chief Petty Officer
The lower shift cable is the one that goes from the shift plate on the engine to the drive.

Ok , so i take that out of the shift plate while its in neutral and try pulling and pushing on the cable to see if i change gears in the drive ?

ilove2fixx

Chief Petty Officer
Ok guys i tried manually shifting it and it does move the silver shift shaft by the spedomoter ?

ilove2fixx

Chief Petty Officer
Ok it manually shifted fine , i saw the shift shaft move from dead center to almost a 1/4 turn ccw

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Lets slow down and get back to the basics. Somewhere in your post I put a link to the adjustments. With the drive in fwd and the shifter in fwd with no throttle
attach the black plastic sleeve to the bolt and then adjust the brass barrel to fit. Test operation and report back

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
I think its because people just read the first page and say "I can do this" and skip the next 10 pages not understanding how the steps must flow together

Bondo

Staff member
I think its because people just read the first page and say "I can do this" and skip the next 10 pages not understanding how the steps must flow together

Ayuh,.... I prefer systematic diagnosis, over helter skelter myself,......

ilove2fixx

Chief Petty Officer
Lets slow down and get back to the basics. Somewhere in your post I put a link to the adjustments. With the drive in fwd and the shifter in fwd with no throttle
attach the black plastic sleeve to the bolt and then adjust the brass barrel to fit. Test operation and report back

So put it in fwd from the helm and shoe and then put plastic end in first and adjust barrel correct ? How.about the other shift cable right under it leave it ?