'83 Lund "Sirius" total gut and rebuild

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
The use of Pony Clamps and Wetting out the vertical panel and then flipping the glass down onto the wetted out panel is Excellent. Spot on application work. Large fillets do make it easy. Hoeever, If you don't have the fillets it's a Timing thing. When the resin starts kickin and gets tacky you can get the glass to adhere to the problem areas with the 1708 using the bubble buster roller followed up with a bit more resin on your fingers!!! Once again...Impressive work!!!

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Of course there was clamps in your layup! :crazy:
It was only a matter of time before you showed us your clamp supply again. Great glassing excellent results..............are you flipping her soon?
Can you give some more details as to how you were able to put down such large pieces of csm in a single layup? For the first timer like me that would be valuable information to have. If you can impress W.O.G you've really raised the bar for the likes of me.
Any ideas on colours for the hull yet?
Gidday from OZ

Thanks Barramundi, I'm leaning towards a smoke grey color for the above water portions of the hull, with either a silver or very light grey for below the water line and as accents on the cap, but nothing is set in stone yet. I was gonna flip her, but then I picked up another bucket of resin, so I think that I will fab up the raised decks now before I flip her over, just to make sure that I use the resin in a timely fashion.

As for the "large pieces of CSM", even though it is hard to see in the photo, this is actually 6 pieces of csm.

I outlined the seams

I didn't overlap the seams on the csm, that is why they look like one big piece. The reason I did it like that is this; I am gel coating my deck, and I didn't want to have the double thick areas all over the deck from the seams. BUT, since there are three layers on the deck, I just staggered the seams with each layer by about 8 inches, just butting the pieces together with each layer. So even though I didn't overlap the individual pieces, I overlapped the entire layer, so to speak. That way I have a smooth and even deck.

Anyway, that is how I laid up the deck.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Great idea on staggering the joints .. I'll have to put that in the ol memory bank ... ;)

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Got all the glassing done on the deck and gunwales last night. I decided to just get it done with. The final layer on the starboard gunwal.

All wiped down with acetone and ready to rock and roll

I took some more pics of the seam layout on the deck. This is the start of layer #2, and I am pointing to the seam from layer #1.

This line will be where layer #3 will start.

This is layer #2 laid out

It took about 5.5 quarts to wet this out.

saginawbayboater

Senior Chief Petty Officer
That's as nice a glass work as you will find on here NM!!!! Great work!!! :clap2: :thumb:

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Layer #2 done.

Layer #3 went exactly like layer #2, and took just under 6 quarts to wet out.

And that concludes the glassing on the deck, and just about killed another 5gal pail of resin.

Here is a pic of some of the spider cracks in the gunwales. As I sand the outside of the hull to prep for paint, do I want to use a dremel tool to grind each crack and just fill? or do I need to grind it down a bit and throw some csm over it?

I was going to leave it in the cradle and work on the raised decks, but I might just flip her over and start on the hull. I haven't made up my mind about that yet, but either way, progress will ensue.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I have 2 boats lined up for new decks.... I sure hope they turn out half as good as yours NM ! :thumb::thumb:
Btw, Is that a local beverage ? I have never seen that brand beer .....

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I have 2 boats lined up for new decks.... I sure hope they turn out half as good as yours NM ! :thumb::thumb:
Btw, Is that a local beverage ? I have never seen that brand beer .....

Thank you sir, I appreciate the kind words. The brew is somewhat local, probably an upper mid-west thing. It's a good beer.

IUPapabear

Petty Officer 3rd Class
WOW, Nurseman, Awesome workmanship all the way around!!! You are really setting the bar high for us newbs.
The more I look at yours (and GT1M, and several others), I just have one thing to say...
Anyone want to buy a "slighty" used boat ?!?! :faint:
I'm going to tag along and learn. A Lot !!!

Jared9220

Seaman
Awesome Job Nurseman! You have really been on the move lately and at this rate you will be done in no time. Superb glassing skills, keep it up.

Mikeopsycho

Congrats on putting the big glass lay-ups behind you! And thanks for posting such great pics and detailed captions!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Here is a pic of some of the spider cracks in the gunwales. As I sand the outside of the hull to prep for paint, do I want to use a dremel tool to grind each crack and just fill? or do I need to grind it down a bit and throw some csm over it?

I was going to leave it in the cradle and work on the raised decks, but I might just flip her over and start on the hull. I haven't made up my mind about that yet, but either way, progress will ensue.
Spider Cracks on the inside are not near as critical as they are on the outside UNLESS they are TellTaling on the outside!! If not then sand and lay CSM If they are then Dremel and Fill. Do the same on the outside.

Last edited:

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Spider Cracks on the inside are not near as critical as they are on the outside UNLESS they are TellTaling on the outside!! If not then sand and lay CSM If they are then Dremel and Fill. Do the same on the outside.

Yea, they are showing through on the outside. The inside has been covered with two layers of 1708, so dremel and fill on the outside it is!

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
WOW, Nurseman, Awesome workmanship all the way around!!! You are really setting the bar high for us newbs.
The more I look at yours (and GT1M, and several others), I just have one thing to say...
Anyone want to buy a "slighty" used boat ?!?! :faint:
I'm going to tag along and learn. A Lot !!!

Thanks Papabear, glad to have you along. I have said it before, this site is the absolute best for the exchange of know how and advice. I have learned a ton, and am learning more all the time!

Awesome Job Nurseman! You have really been on the move lately and at this rate you will be done in no time. Superb glassing skills, keep it up.

Thanks Jared, I am hesitant to make any predictions on a splash yet, projects like this have a way of dragging out... I just keep plugging away at it.

Congrats on putting the big glass lay-ups behind you! And thanks for posting such great pics and detailed captions!

Thanks Mr. psycho, glad someone has enjoyed my ramblings:blah:​

If you don't have the fillets it's a Timing thing. When the resin starts kickin and gets tacky you can get the glass to adhere to the problem areas with the 1708 using the bubble buster roller followed up with a bit more resin on your fingers!!! Once again...Impressive work!!!

Now ya done it! Ya lernt me sumpin! That is a great trick to know!:hail:

friderday

Chief Petty Officer
Looks ok....I guess...but....when are you bringing back the clamps? I miss them. You continue to amaze. Great hurdle, for sure. And you took the words right out of my mouth...projects like this definitely have a way of dragging out...I hope you are able to keep up the pace. Sure enjoy watching.

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Looks ok....I guess...but....when are you bringing back the clamps? I miss them. You continue to amaze. Great hurdle, for sure. And you took the words right out of my mouth...projects like this definitely have a way of dragging out...I hope you are able to keep up the pace. Sure enjoy watching.

Just for you..... (I bought more! :D)

Thanks friderday, happy to provide you with your clamp fix;)

Last edited:

Rickmerrill

Oh no, say it ain't so. I think his clamps are having babies!

Last edited: