My 1968 Glastron GT160 rebuild......

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Whelp, I am happy to say the my goal for this weekend is complete. The top is officially ready for the first coat of primer!!!

Finished PB'ing, filling and fairing the hull to top cap that surrounds the transom. Splash well is complete as well. Sucks a bit tht I had to damage the paint in the process....but this is one of the benefits for rustoleum paint !!! Easy peasy to fix!!! It may not look it, but all is smooth as a babys hind end!!

I hit the entire top cap with final sand of 120 grit. Then I tried to blow out all of the construction dust and a giant cloud of carp filled the garage. So I decided to try out the drainage system by rinsing the hull out!! Also discovered I need to drill a couple drainage holes at the corner of floor and stinger knee (outside edge), where it meets the transom

Also here is the beginning of a ski locker hatch....

Hope you all had a great weekend and had a chance to remember the veterans that made all of this possible......Thank you Vets!!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Everytime I see her, I get excited about Splash Day!!! It's not too far off now. Remind Me...Have you Painted the Tower of Power yet? If Not is that on the Agenda???

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Everytime I see her, I get excited about Splash Day!!! It's not too far off now. Remind Me...Have you Painted the Tower of Power yet? If Not is that on the Agenda???

I have not painted it yet.....I need to get after it son though, my decals say to not apply over fresh paint....I guess it needs to completely out gas or it may cause bubbles....pretty sure I read that some where on here. I also need to drop the lower unit to change the water pump.

The plan is to work the motor between coats on the top cap......

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yeah, but with the hardener in the paint and the heat we'll be having soon, that paint will cure pretty darn fast. Mine did on the Rude':D That touch up gun you bought will come in handy when painting the motor. It works great in tight spots and there's a bunch of em on the motor.

Last edited:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Post 921. When you placed back the modified splash well. Did you pb it to the transom? If not why? When I had to cut and remove all my areas, the wood was so rotted that I Can't recall if it was attached in taht fashion. It just pulled out after I made the cuts and dug out the really rotted wood.
I would think you would have simply to not have water go in between the skin and the new transom.

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
If you pb the splash well to the transom, what happens if you need to get the cap back off? Seems like you would be doing a lot of cussing at that point...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
The majority of Bass Boats I've seen here on the forum, ALL have the Transom/Splashwell joint Glassed together. The members have to use a sawzall to cut the joint in order to separate the cap at this junction. But as we all know glass repairs are a fairly simple affair and pose no major obstacles. Cussing is ALWAYS optional!!!:eek::D;)

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Nice work Cor! Splash is getting close! You are correct on the decals, they can get bubbles if you put them on too soon. But like Wood said, the heat that will be here before we know it will help speed up the off gassing process. Keep on rolling, your not to far from splashing her! By the way, does your TOP have a distributor? Or is it a later model, I forget.

Bonus Check

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Dang it. It's now 10:28 PM and not finished yet. I thought I would get to the finished project. Lot of nice work put into this boat. Can't wait to see the finished boat. Subscribed.

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Post 921. When you placed back the modified splash well. Did you pb it to the transom? If not why? When I had to cut and remove all my areas, the wood was so rotted that I Can't recall if it was attached in taht fashion. It just pulled out after I made the cuts and dug out the really rotted wood.
I would think you would have simply to not have water go in between the skin and the new transom.

If you pb the splash well to the transom, what happens if you need to get the cap back off? Seems like you would be doing a lot of cussing at that point...

The majority of Bass Boats I've seen here on the forum, ALL have the Transom/Splashwell joint Glassed together. The members have to use a sawzall to cut the joint in order to separate the cap at this junction. But as we all know glass repairs are a fairly simple affair and pose no major obstacles. Cussing is ALWAYS optional!!!:eek::D;)

Gents, First thanks for the encouragement!! The splash well was originllay PB'd to the transom. during removal, the transom was so rotten, all it took was a few wacks with a hammer and spreader bar to seperate. I did not PB the back side of the splash well when it when back together. I would love to tell you about some exotic reason why I didnt......but I cant. Truth is I was going to, but forgot in the heat of battle. I am concerned the when I install the motor and clamp up the bolts it will crack the splash well. My plan is to watch it and if it seems to flex too much I will slip a large area washer in between. its about 1/16th gap at the moment.

Nice work Cor! Splash is getting close! You are correct on the decals, they can get bubbles if you put them on too soon. But like Wood said, the heat that will be here before we know it will help speed up the off gassing process. Keep on rolling, your not to far from splashing her! By the way, does your TOP have a distributor? Or is it a later model, I forget.

Arch, It has electronic ignition. My Hope is to splash end of July first of August. It looks close, but there is a ton of stuff left to do, including the cockpit seats that I didnt get done due to outside work. Some times its daunting the amount of little things left to do...

I think Im changing the order of my schedule...I got to thinking about the motor....I dont want to to be sanding on it while im truing to prime/paint the top cap. And or....have everything done waiting to do the motor. Going to ponder a bit, but will likely change the pump and start working the motor this weekend......bad idea???

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Dang it. It's now 10:28 PM and not finished yet. I thought I would get to the finished project. Lot of nice work put into this boat. Can't wait to see the finished boat. Subscribed.

Bonus, welcome...Im trying!!!! The Fam is itching for their lake life back!!!

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
For those of you that have a Merc ToP, Do any of you guys use the pitot tube pick up on the lower unit for speedometer? (above the cavitation plate) or do you install the type on the transom for the speedometer??

Last edited:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I use the pitot pick up. It works as well as any pitot, unless you manage to smash the tube like I did.....still not sure how I did that. I'm going to replace that short section if it ever quits raining here. I just hate putting holes in a nice new transom. I use the tach more for speed anyway, after you run it for a while, you can generally translate rpm into mph. If you use a jack plate you may have issues with the stock setup.

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Forward progress today....complete fabrication of ski locker hatch!!!

Decided to go after the motor today... after a soak with simple green and a power wash, I replaced the water pump and I am glad I did!!!!!

The chain hoist from harbor freight was 50 bucks, well spent!!! I use this all the time.

More on next post....

Last edited:

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
With the lower unit off, the pump is pretty easy to replace...

here is what I found inside....

Melted impeller......:eek:

All poked back together....cradel to grave....3 hours. not bad for the first time.

Thas it for today.....

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Uhmm Yeah, the impellar was TOAST!!!! Good on ya for doin the replacement!!!! I'm thinkin that T.O.P. will be runnin like a TOP when Splash Time comes!!!!:D;)

Ski Locker Hatch looks GREAT. I think you should Paint it with a Racing Stripe down the Middle!!!

Last edited:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
What year is that one? Looks like you have the old style dual tilt trim rams. Do you have a distributor or switch boxes?

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Uhmm Yeah, the impellar was TOAST!!!! Good on ya for doin the replacement!!!! I'm thinkin that T.O.P. will be runnin like a TOP when Splash Time comes!!!!:D;)

Ski Locker Hatch looks GREAT. I think you should Paint it with a Racing Stripe down the Middle!!!

Hmm interesting idea....on the stripe!

What year is that one? Looks like you have the old style dual tilt trim rams. Do you have a distributor or switch boxes?

Arch, SN says it an 81....has the ignition modules, no distributor. Strange thing tho, the matching decals were 1983.... IDK for sure I guess

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Nice work on the lid/waterpump ! I have yet to do any sort of tear down to an outboard ... Always scared I will make it worse than it already is ! :facepalm:
Just gunna have to get over being nervous and dig in one of these days ..