Not only is the water full of idiots but....

DennisM

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Not only is the water full of idiots but....

Yup!

Took the bumper that wasnt even attached. So now its going to be really fun. I have a feeling we are screwed now cause technically we do not own the car now. Fun morning ahead for us. Plus her neck and back are killing her so off to the er today for her as well..

DennisM

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yup just as I thought, finance company dont care at all now.

1300.00 to get it back. Then we can deal with the other parties insurance.

fun fun..

what a week so far and it just started!

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander

sounds like you might be making this more difficult then needed. first get the police report. contact the bank that repoed it, get an estimate for repair. they will give it to you, they want their money.
contact his insurance, send copy of est and ploice report. they will total it and send a check in your name and the name of the finance co that holds the title. sign the check take it to the fin co. they will take their portion and refund you the rest.
as far as injuries, contact his insurance and explain you think there may be injuries, they will make an immed offer or you can start racking up paperwork and try to sue them later.
the sorry reality is if you don't take action he very well may. in which case he will be sueing you for sitting there blocking the road. don't laugh it happens every day. grab the bull by the horns. there is no such thing as don't worry about it anymore. every thing has to be documented and taken head on so to speak.

Big mistake not going to the ER or Doc right away if you feel there could be an injury. Now if there is, you will be tied up for years waiting to this resolved.
Going in even 6 hours after the accident is a bad move, either go right away, or not at all unless you are prepared for years of a giant PITA.

Glad no one was seriously injured, sorry about your car.
I agree 100%. Getting checked out right away shows prudent behavior that will HELP you in getting your case settled. I hurt my shoulder in a motorcycle crash and even though it was only sore for a short time it has bothered me for 30years due to the calcification around the bone when it healed.

DennisM

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Update:

They havnt even looked at the car yet, Finance company unwilling to work with us on it.

His Insurance company *state farm. Will not make any offer on settlement UNTIL she is cleared by her doctor and ALL treatments are finished, (even though that may be 6 months to a year)

What a joke! Hey leave health care alone, and fix insurance scams/companies!

Red_BOFUS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

While it is very inconvenient what has happened, time is your friend. My wife was hit last year and we just settled almost 12 months after the accident. It took a great deal of time to treat and get her back, shoulder, arm back to where it needs to be.

It is easy to concentrate on the financial issues before you right now, but rush this and it can be a meltdown later if major medical issues develop.
The car though should be a different settlement than the major medical issues you have as well. Also check your own insurance company?s med pay, which may also offer you additional help paying medical bills, freeing up cash from the later settlement for the auto replacement.

If you have some sort of expectation on what should happen then discuss it with your insurance company to see if you are over reaching or not.

Contact the company that repoed the car and also holds the note and tell them it may be 6 months to a year before the claim is settled and ask if that works for them or what do they want to do? I am sure they have far better lawyers and ways to make something happen and a greater depth of understanding on what the process is.

Also document everything, every pain, every issue, everything.

skargo

Banned

^^^^^^Almost 12 months to settle, that's VERY quick.

It took my case 5 years to settle!

gonefishie

Commander

Hey Dennis, are you the same DennisM on BBC?

DennisM

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Dennis, are you the same DennisM on BBC?

dont think so. :) Unless its a woodworking website then maybe, but this is the only boating forum I am on..

^^^^^^Almost 12 months to settle, that's VERY quick.

It took my case 5 years to settle!

Its a shame the way insurance companys can jerk you around even though its clear from the start that they are responsible. In my state they have three years before they even have to make a settlement offer and if its not settled then you are given a court date. In the mean time every dime the accident cost you for medical bills comes out of you pocket. Many insurance companys know that people need their cars fixed and they try to hold up that part of the settlement untill you sign off on your injures. to them its a game of bluffing you. It takes an attorney to force them to pay but picking the right one is hard to do.

TilliamWe

Banned

First of all it's not jerking someone around to tell them the LAWS regarding settling bodily injury cases. Sorry you guys don't like it, but that's how it works. So for all of you folks that want to run up frivolous medical bills and inflated "losses", go ahead, as long as you can afford it. You are not legallt entitled to a dime until you sign a release. If you don't like it, move to Michigan, they have "No Fault" insurance. Any Michigan guys want to chime in on how well THAT works? ;)
Fairlaneman, you are wrong again about holding up the auto portion of an accident claim. Since the vehicle is either repairable or not, they get settled as soon as possible. If you actually handled any claims, you'd know that. But since you don't, you spread your biased lies about insurance practices. I know you'll cry to the MODS about this, but what you type is JUST NOT TRUE. Period.
Dennis, my offer still stands. I'll help you in any way possible, except to commit any kind of insurance fraud. And since the at fault carrier is State Farm, and they are the largest insurance carrier in the world, they will help with the finance company any way they can. I fear that there is more to the repo story than just two missed payments. Good luck.

DennisM

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Dennis, my offer still stands. I'll help you in any way possible, except to commit any kind of insurance fraud. And since the at fault carrier is State Farm, and they are the largest insurance carrier in the world, they will help with the finance company any way they can. I fear that there is more to the repo story than just two missed payments. Good luck.

Nope now its three, total of 1322.00 to retrieve from repo, (including the 325.00 repo fee)

Largest in the world, doesn't mean the best, for their insured maybe, but not others.

they know the car is not with us at the moment, so they have ZERO payments that need to be made, no rental cars to pay for. So no incentive to make a settlement offer on the even the car. We have 21 days to reclaim the car, and they know that. Until we either do that or that time lapses and the finance co. takes ownership completely, they will not move.

Once the finance co takes complete control, they will just settle with them for acv with no dispute at all. Done deal.

My only option is to get the car back and hope they total it for more then owed, and take the chance on that.

I am sorry, saying that since the laws are wrote one way and doing everything to the law makes it ok is wrong. They might have say 3 years by law, but that does not make it right nor just. (something that most laws are not)

TilliamWe: Thank you for the offer, not sure that there is anything anyone can do at this point to help...

skargo

Banned

I ran a body shop for years. Insurance companies SUCK. So do people who commit fraud. But the companies, they still suck!

TilliamWe

Banned

I ran a body shop for years. Insurance companies SUCK. So do people who commit fraud. But the companies, they still suck!

So do body shops that commit insurance fraud! ;)

TilliamWe

Banned

they know the car is not with us at the moment, so they have ZERO payments that need to be made, no rental cars to pay for. So no incentive to make a settlement offer on the even the car. We have 21 days to reclaim the car, and they know that. Until we either do that or that time lapses and the finance co. takes ownership completely, they will not move.

Once the finance co takes complete control, they will just settle with them for acv with no dispute at all. Done deal.

While that is partially true, I still say there is a way to get them to inspect the car, and begine the total loss settlement prior to you losing all rights to the vehicle. The first thing I would try is asking them nicely. ;)

DennisM

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have. :) I was told by the adjuster, that since the car is no longer "ours" that as far as anything goes with it, we are no longer a party to it. Period.

The injury is still open, and until the doctors say she is completely done with treatment and healed, nothing will be done on that, including loss wages etc..

fishrdan

Admiral

KBB lists retail at 4870.00 on it, we owe 2800 odd on it.

- KBB at $4800 so I'm guessing ACV is around $4000 (or less)
- $2800 owed + 1200 back payments +300 repo fee =$4300
- Pay $4300 to get it back so the ins company can pay you $4000?

I'd let it go.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

- KBB at $4800 so I'm guessing ACV is around $4000 (or less)
- $2800 owed + 1200 back payments +300 repo fee =$4300
- Pay $4300 to get it back so the ins company can pay you $4000?

I'd let it go.

I would, just to keep this from ruining your credit. unless that is no longer a concern.

I still don't get why there is no rental car?