Help Finding Steering Cables for a Mercury Outboard

achilles555

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello all. I recently purchased a 1985 Charger Bass Boat that has been sitting for several years. I'm working on getting her fixed-up, but have run into a steering problem. The cables were frozen when I bought it so I did some searching around the net for a solution. I did get them unfrozen, but after hours of Liquid Wrench and turning the wheel back and forth a hundred times...the steering is incredibly tight. I have finally given up hope, and took the cables out last night. When I went to look for new cables online, I realized that I have NO idea what I'm looking for. Can someone help me out with figuring out which cables I need? Here are the details: There are 2 cables. They both have "Detroit Marine Engineering DPR-20-1" stamped on them. They are 157" in total length, and the center cable length is 129" (without the end components). The end that goes into the motor mount is retty standard, and the ends that go into the steering column under the dash have a flat gear that is 18" in length. That gear goes into a gold metal casing that is basically a rectangular "box" full of grease. Any help you guys might be able to give me would be greatly appreciated!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Help Finding Steering Cables for a Mercury Outboard

Ayuh,....

Replace the Helm along with the Cable,......The price difference is Minimal....

Teleflex is a Good Choice.....

achilles555

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You'll have to forgive me for being such a rookie, but could you please explain what you mean by replacing both the helm and the cable? if you could show me a link to both, that would be great! thanks for the help.

Bondo

Staff member

Well,......

You Do know what the Cable is,..?? Correct,..??
The Helm is Everything but the Steering Wheel at the forward end,......

Finding a Cable to fit your Helm is going to be about Impossible....
Sooo,......
Change All of the Steering System,.... The Helm,+ the Cable......
a gold metal casing that is basically a rectangular "box" full of grease.
That's the Helm Assembley,.....It sounds like a Rack,+ Pinion, not a Rotary,... Replace it with a New System, Just like the rack,+ pinion you have now.......
Cable,+ Helm.....

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... That looks like it otta work....

achilles555

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It has a 1988 Mercury Black Max 150 XR4. I was looking at converting to a rotary, but there are 2 cables? Any suggestions? Thanks.

achilles555

Petty Officer 2nd Class

also, since iboats is sold out of the pretech steering systems,does anyone know anywhere else can find them? thanks again.

achilles555

Petty Officer 2nd Class

if i go with rotary, will i have any trouble installing sine there was a rack and pinion already there?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the hardest part is getting the old stuff out. the new cable is much easier to install from the stern to the helm. the dash cut out should be identical. it is much more owner friendly. it's all i use.

achilles555

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks so much. i think i'll give it a try. the best deal i can find online for a dual rotary kit is iboats. the brand is pre tech, and the price is $222.99 + $18 for shipping. heres the link:

http://www.iboats.com/Dual_Rotary_Steering_Kit_w_14_ft_Cables/dm/view_id.368758

i'm trying to put this boat together on a budget (a small one at that). is that about the cheapest price you've seen them? thanks again for the help!

tashasdaddy

achilles555

Petty Officer 2nd Class

would i have to change anything at the motor if i just went with the one cable system? or could i just use what is already there? i can't imagine going from a 2 cable system to one, but that would be wonderful. what di you think?

tashasdaddy

i don't know what link you have from your cable to your motor. if any thing it would be the bar from the cable to the motor.

achilles555

Petty Officer 2nd Class

there are 2 stainless steel bars that connect the cables to the motor. a screw-mount nipple on one end (the driver side), and bolt holes for the motor arm on the other. the motor has one arm that come off of the motor that actually turns the motor, and it T's at the end to connect the 2 stainless shafts.

what i'm worried about are the 2 tubes (for lack of a better word) that the stainless bars go through that are part of the front of the motor. the cable and bars go through these just before being connected to the motor arm on the passenger side of the boat.

tashasdaddy

for some unknown reason i can't get pictures from photobucket to link today. will take some in the morning and post them.

tashasdaddy

here is hope this mounts

Attachments

• MVC-931S.jpg
    MVC-931S.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 0

teewhy

Cadet

Achilles555,

Sounds like you and I are 'in the same boat'. I'm currently working on replacing the dual cable steering setup on a my Hydrostream with 1979 Merc 150. The setup I've removed (believe it to be original) was a Quicksilver / Ridge Guide dual R&P steering that was a push/pull connection at the motor (steering cables ran down port and starboard side of the boat with the cables being of slightly different lengths). Similar to your initial dilema with the Detmar cables, replacements are scarce. I've learned it's best to replace the entire system (helm/cables, etc.), so, that's where I am.

I've decided to post because our setups seem similar (high speed boat - 50+ mph- with same HP motor). What I've learned . . . I've seen posts back/forth saying single cable is adequate for V6. Teleflex tech support has recommended to me that dual cables are preferred when you get into the V6 range. Hydraulic would be the ultimate way to go (budget permitting), but, either dual R&P or dual rotary cables would be fine.

As for connecting to the motor, I had questions as my system was opposing calbes (each cable attached to the motor's transom mount from different sides. Teleflex no longer makes this kind of opposable steering as now both cables are designed to come in on only one side. No problem, here, but, you will need to contact your nearest Mercury dealer for the adapter to hookup each of the cables to the motor's tiller steering arm. They provided me with the attached simple drawing to show how the setup is to be installed (see attached).

Good luck!
Teewhy

Attachments

• dual cable setup.jpg
    dual cable setup.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 0