Ski Pylon on Pontoon?

mayorjones

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi guys. Wondering if anybody out there has successfully (or unsuccessfully) tried using a ski pylon on a pontoon? I'm not talking about the round bar type that cradles the motor, but rather the "tripod" design. I have a 2008 Sun Tracker with a 60 hp motor and would like to get the rope out of the water, but don't want to spend the $500 or more for the round bar version. I called a local Bass Pro Shop and talked to their boat manager and he said they sell a lot of these for pontoons, but I've never personally seen one. This version is $235, which is much better on the pocketbook, and with my small motor I don't see creating a tremendous amount of torque.

In advance, I'll say "thanks but no thanks" to hooking it to the back of my toons, etc... I've done that, but the kids really enjoy tubing and I want to make the most of what I've got and getting the rope out of the water would make the experience much better.

Thoughts?

Thanks.
Dwight

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Ski Pylon on Pontoon?

It sounds as if your main objective is to get the rope out of the water. If so, the cheaper one should work for you.

Rancherlee

Chief Petty Officer

The issue with pylons is that a tube will eventually destroy them. Case in point, try to find one rated for "towables". Kids get tossed, the tube flips, drags massive amounts of water at speed, and could put 2000+# of torque on the tow point.

mayorjones

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good point Ranch. The one I'm looking at actually comes from Tracker - I'll see if they can tell me how it's rated.

EricJRW

Chief Petty Officer

I read in the internet where some people had sucess with this "Booster Ball" to keep the ropeout of the water so you can whip the kids around:D
Check it out.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/pro...ortsStuff_Booster_Ball&aID=600G6&merchID=4006

That's pretty cool. Decent reviews too. I did not realize how big it is until I looked at the reviews, as one person posted a picture.

At $99 it's a less expensive option. Does Overton's have a "satisfaction guaranteed" guarantee? If so, I'd go for it.

Also, I was thinking a pylon would put a lot of torque on the boat... It would have to be mounted very solidly.

mayorjones

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've never seen that thing before - cool idea. $72.70 thru Amazon w/free shipping.

EricJRW

Chief Petty Officer

For $72, it's almost worth the experiment. If you go that route, let me know how it works as I'm just getting my gear together to be able to pull a tube. I'm not sure how's it going to work out, but the BB just might help.

gregnva

Cadet

We have the booster ball and according to the kids it's a MUST HAVE. We love it and have no problems with it. Well worth the money.

Mr Crabbs

Petty Officer 1st Class

Gregnva, do you tow off of the pontoon eyes?

EricJRW

Chief Petty Officer

Gregnva, do you tow off of the pontoon eyes?

Why do you ask? I'm just putting the stuff together to tow a tube, and my attach points will be the two "eyes" (actually vertical U-bolts, on the deck) at the stern. I did buy a harness with a pulley, hoping that will help distribute load.

Anyway, just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

mayorjones

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I did buy a harness with a pulley, hoping that will help distribute load.

Anyway, just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

I bought one of those harnesses w/a pulley and it works very well to center the rope behind the boat, but the rope just drags terribly through the water which makes the tube very hard to maneuver. I've talked to others that used some sort of pylon and got the rope out of the water and it made a world of difference. I'm trying to accomplish the same thing on a limited budget, and it seems that the "ball" concept might be worth a try (for me anyway).

EricJRW

Chief Petty Officer

I bought one of those harnesses w/a pulley and it works very well to center the rope behind the boat, but the rope just drags terribly through the water which makes the tube very hard to maneuver. I've talked to others that used some sort of pylon and got the rope out of the water and it made a world of difference. I'm trying to accomplish the same thing on a limited budget, and it seems that the "ball" concept might be worth a try (for me anyway).

Please let me know how the ball works out for you. I may need the same.

Thank you,

Eric

gregnva

Cadet

Sorry, don't have a Pontoon yet, so we pull it using our 20' Four Winns I/O but yes, I do hook the line up to the single tow eye on the back. Was just wanting to let you all know that the Booster Ball works as advertised and definitely keeps the spray out of the riders faces too.

Mr Crabbs

Petty Officer 1st Class

There are some youtube videos put out by the makers of boosterball that give you an idea of how they work.

Best price I found was just under $70.00 at boatersisland.com

I also saw some video of kite tubing :eek: .

mayorjones

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bought one of the "balls" - it was an improvement, but not the miracle I was hoping for. For the most part kept the rope out of the water, but the ball itself also creates a drag in the water. The kids thought it was better, which was the ultimate goal I guess. I'm sure every boat is different. I'll keep it and try again. The water here is really high right now (Mississippi River in Iowa) and there's a lot of current and crap floating. We'll see how it behaves once the river settles down...