Pulling a '93 120 Evinrude

Grits

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello Everyone,

I have a '93 120 on the back of a Key West 1900. I want to take the motor off the boat.

There is no hook or loop, for lifting, on the motor. Where do you hook to it to lift it off?

Thank you for your help.

Grits

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: Pulling a '93 120 Evinrude

There are three bolt holes near the center in the top of the flywheel. You need to buy the lifting eye, or rig one, that allows you to place number 8 bolts into the three holes, so that the motor can be lifted. The bolts are 5/16 Fine.

Another type of lifting eye has large threaded center that allow the device to replace the flywheel nut. Part # 396748. Your hoist should be rated well above 1,000 lbs.

Grits

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the info. There is a a threaded bolt in the center of the flywheel. I think it is in the crankshaft. I do not remember the three 5/16" holes. Is the hole in the center what your are talking about?

Thanks you,

Grits

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The nut in the center is the top of the crankshaft. 396748 is threaded to screw down on that once the nut is removed. The three smaller threaded holes are equally spaced a couple of inches from the center of the flywheel. Don't try to lift by the outer edges of the flywheel.

The motor can be lifted from under the engine if you first remove the lower cowl or cover, but it is unstable and can easily tip.

Grits

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ezek

If it looks different, I will shoot an image and post. All I remember is the hole in the center and the outer holes; however, my memory is far from perfect.

Grits

Grits

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the heads up.

I want to make sure I understand. There are three threaded holes close to the center of the flywheel that are 5/16-28. Can the motor be lifted by an adaptor that will bolt into the the 5/16" holes?

In other words, I will machine a disk and match the bolt pattern of the 5/16" holes. In the center of the disk, I will thread a 1/2" hole to attach a threaded loop. I will lift the motor by attaching a chain to the loop. Is that how the motor should be lifted?

Thanks,

Grits

flabum

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the heads up.

I want to make sure I understand. There are three threaded holes close to the center of the flywheel that are 5/16-28. Can the motor be lifted by an adaptor that will bolt into the the 5/16" holes?

In other words, I will machine a disk and match the bolt pattern of the 5/16" holes. In the center of the disk, I will thread a 1/2" hole to attach a threaded loop. I will lift the motor by attaching a chain to the loop. Is that how the motor should be lifted?

Thanks,

Grits

You go the idea. You need to use hardened bolts and the center bolt/eye will need to press against the crankshaft as well. By making the center eybolt press against the crankshaft, you will be maintaining steady pressure on on three bolts and keeping equal lifting pressure on them as you lay the motor down or push it around. without the center pressure, the setup will put pressure on only one bolt while pushing it around or laying it down creating a dangerous situation.

Grits

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you for you advise. If you need the adaptor, let me know. It is an easy task with a lathe and a Bridgeport.

Grits

Grits

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I will check the thread. I have three 5/16" bolts screwed in the flywheel now. I am goint to countersink the holes, for the 5/16" bolts, for socket head cap bolts.

Grits

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

A harmonic balancer puller works fine ... you don't have to machine anything. Just loop some rope under the puller.