Boat values

claytonr1973

Recruit
I have an 89 18ft Alumaweld that I think is called a modified v (looks like a tacker bass tracker) with 2 live wells and all kinds of storage compartments,12/24 60lb motorguide, 88 90hp mariner,and trl. It is excellent cond. I looked at NADA and it said $1200. I took this boat in on trade for a truck I had for sale and really like it but with a 90hp it is really too much for me. I thought if I could sell it and get an open(meaning no storage or live wells or decks) with about a 50hp it would suit my needs better. I really like this boat as it will flat fly and if it isn't worth more than about $4000 I'll just keep it. Please excuse my lack of boat knowledge,I'm just a fisherman who bought a boat because I got tired of lugging my gear up and down the river banks so I got a boat. This is actually my second boat and still have my first a '58 14ft Richline with a 18hp Evinrude hand tiller so this new boat is quite a step up. Thanks.

cbavier

Lieutenant
Re: Boat values

You posted no picture?

You didn't say if you have actually used this boat or not?

If you like the boat but the motor is too big, why not trade or sell the motor and get a smaller motor?

With the market what it is and a boat that old it would be a miracle to get $4,000 for it. $1,200 is more like it and you might be hard pressed to even get that much unless the boat is in Great shape.

Just my two cents worth.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.....

Searching places like ebay or boattrader.com will give you a much Better idea of it's value that NADA will.....

claytonr1973

Recruit

Before I traded for the boat I looked on ebay and similiar boats with 40-60hp were going for $4k+. I guess I got a little bummed when I used NADA.

cbavier-not sure if the boat market in your area is down but around here $1200 doesn't get you much. I have used the boat a few times since I got it in Oct but the winter here has been bad so no fishing. I'll try to get my BIL to take some photos and load them as I'm not that computer literate.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

remember it has a 90 hp on it, you don't have to use all 90 of them, but it's nice to have, when that thunderstorm sneaks up on you.

cbavier

Lieutenant

remember it has a 90 hp on it, you don't have to use all 90 of them, but it's nice to have, when that thunderstorm sneaks up on you.

Thats correct and if you ever need them 90 HP. They sure will be nice to have. If I liked the boat I'd keep it unless you just want to get rid of it. Yes in Michigan the boating Industry is flat. It was last year and won't be any better this year the way the Economy is headed. Same with the RV industry. I just talked to a salesman friend who said an EXPO RV show that they usually sell 6-7,000 campers in a week all Dealers. This year only netted a sales of 3,000 units. Thats less than half of course he was quick to point out they were hopeful for a boost as soon as the weather breaks and Spring arrives. that's still two months away.

With 8,000 homes in foreclosure in our area right now. The Economy doesn't look very promising. If gas goes to $4.00 a gal it will be devastating. The little piddly $600 single $1200 Stimulus check Bush is sending is like peeing in the Ocean and thinking it will raise the water level.

He stated today he didn't even know they were projecting $4.00 a gal. I'll bet he hasn't pumped or bought a Gallon of gas in 35 years. I'll bet he hasn't bought groceries at a grocery store in 35 years. He is so far out of touch with reality and the American people and economy it is scary.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

let's not get political here. not allow on iboats.

roadrunnr

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank you TD! Let's all keep politics out of this forum, it just increases blood pressure and anger levels and is contrary to the purpose of this forum. Enough said!!!!

cbavier

Lieutenant

I have an 89 18ft Alumaweld that I think is called a modified v (looks like a tacker bass tracker) with 2 live wells and all kinds of storage compartments,12/24 60lb motorguide, 88 90hp mariner,and trl. It is excellent cond. I looked at NADA and it said $1200. I took this boat in on trade for a truck I had for sale and really like it but with a 90hp it is really too much for me. I thought if I could sell it and get an open(meaning no storage or live wells or decks) with about a 50hp it would suit my needs better. I really like this boat as it will flat fly and if it isn't worth more than about $4000 I'll just keep it. Please excuse my lack of boat knowledge,I'm just a fisherman who bought a boat because I got tired of lugging my gear up and down the river banks so I got a boat. This is actually my second boat and still have my first a '58 14ft Richline with a 18hp Evinrude hand tiller so this new boat is quite a step up. Thanks.

I belong to Boat U.S. and this came in our monthly publication that I thought you might be interested in concerning the Marine Market 2006, 2007 and th projection for 2007. I hope this link will work for you. If not just copy and paste into your Browser.

http://my.boatus.com/boatus_mag/b03_08/45sm.asp

Just click on the Page and it will enlarge enough I hope for you to read it. I'm not advocating Dooms Day just facing the truth. $4.00 a Gal will almost kill the boating Industry. At least New Boat sales and drive down the value of used boats.

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm not advocating Dooms Day just facing the truth. $4.00 a Gal will almost kill the boating Industry. At least New Boat sales and drive down the value of used boats.

That or drive the used boat value up because they can't afford a new boat price any way. But the more used boats bought the more work there is for those in the service biz. :)

Thank you TD! Let's all keep politics out of this forum, it just increases blood pressure and anger levels and is contrary to the purpose of this forum. Enough said!!!!
Very true, I get mad when I even think about certain things.