I keep on hearing how Bayliner boats have a bad reputation, how bad is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sethjon

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: I keep on hearing how Bayliner boats have a bad reputation, how bad is it?

Personally I don't like Bayliner because they usually under power their boats to keep the price down when new. That means the motor is always working harder than it should have to. Another thing that a lot of people don't think about is that once it gets old the seats will have to be redone like all boats but they use cheap wood and upholstery is expensive enough, but if you need to rebuild the seats it scould be several thousand dollars.

sethjon

Bayliner still, to date, is inferior. I guess for the money its ok, but money aside its apples and oranges.

heatseaker1

Cadet

Regarding power, you get what you pay for. You can get a V-6 in a full size pick up and it will get you down the road. That doesn't mean that you are taking advantage of a fully powered vehicle. The same goes for boats. I have a 4.3 merc in my 96 BAYLINER 2050 and it is all the power one should need. I plane in seconds, can pull anything over the water and top out at 50kts if I feel like a sprint. You can get the 5.0 or 5.7 as an option for that same boat but affordability and the ability to cruise all weekend on one tank of fuel helped me decide on the 4.3.

I have seen 4 bangers in boats slightly smaller than mine and while they do not have as much power as some would like, they have enough power the owner was willing to fork out the dough for.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I own a 2750 Victoria (my avatar). I've had it for almost 10 years now. It sat 5 years with the bow down, full of water, and in very bad shape. Of course I got it at a great price. The trailer I bought, the boat was free in a since. I did have to replace a lot of the structure. I did it in phases. I now have a solid boat that I have enjoyed over the past 9 years.

It is all in what you look for when you purchase. If you don't do the research and don't know nothing in what your getting. Good luck getting that pig in a poke.

91capri2050

Seaman Apprentice
Last edited by a moderator:

wingmastr23

Petty Officer 1st Class

the reason I'm so interested in this thread is because of this.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1997-Bayliner-2050-SS-Special-Edition-97147189

Its right in my price range, although I think I would try to negotiate it down a bit.

Looks like a decent boat.....I would like to know how it was stored in the winter.....and the service records......take a test drive.....bounce a bit on the flooring in several areas especially near the ski locker......if it is solid....and it runs good, no leaks.....Offer $8k and have a blast.....The engine is a great one.....you won't be disappointed.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

As long as its in good shape, won't have any foreseeable problems in the future, and it gets you out on the water, then go for it !

Brand snobs P!$$ me off. They are the elitists who always want to make sure you know their what-ever is better than yours. So what if it is? This is what you can afford, and it makes you happy .

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Personally I don't like Bayliner because they usually under power their boats to keep the price down when new.

Bayliner isn't the only one. Look at any of the adds for new Tracker boats.
They always mark their adds with the lowest powerplant they can for the pricemark they are trying to push. Then in small print they show the upgrade.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Post a picture of your "turd" and we will take votes on who's looks better.
Like I said before...beauty is only skin deep. That is/was Bayliners goal, sell the boat on the outside looks so you don't look any deeper at the quality. Flip up the seat and take a picture of the non stainless steel staples rusting or the plywood in the engine compartment that isn't properly sealed.

JetBote

Seaman

Edit

Last edited by a moderator:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

You can get the 5.0 or 5.7 as an option for that same boat but affordability and the ability to cruise all weekend on one tank of fuel helped me decide on the 4.3.

I have seen 4 bangers in boats slightly smaller than mine and while they do not have as much power as some would like, they have enough power the owner was willing to fork out the dough for.

When I see this point brought up in many of these threads I often think, "better yet, why not size the boat for the water it will meanly be used on". Example, a few weeks ago while out on our lake of less than 1000 acres there was a big Twin engine boat out there that it was taking them all of about 20-25 minutes to make a complete lap around the lake at full throttle. That must have been a blast!

Thajeffski

Master Chief Petty Officer

Curious...have you actually ever looked through one of those sloped windshields on a sunny day, especially after they get just slightly dirty?

I know...I owned a Bayliner with that window. I had to ALWAYS stand up when I was driving the darned thing.

I own one with a sloped windshield. However I'm 6 2 so I have to hunch down to look through it, I've never actually had to look through it though... lol I like the wind up to!

wingmastr23

Petty Officer 1st Class

As long as its in good shape, won't have any foreseeable problems in the future, and it gets you out on the water, then go for it !

Brand snobs P!$$ me off. They are the elitists who always want to make sure you know their what-ever is better than yours. So what if it is? This is what you can afford, and it makes you happy .

I completely agree......We have a friend that has a Cobalt 246....and it is a SWEET boat......My wife keeps pushing me to buy one....and I could tomorrow....But why?

My Bayliner gets us in the water.....the cash stays in my bank account....and at the end of the day, I had just as much fun in my 19' Bayliner as my buddy did in his Cobalt....the only difference is, if I wanna beach mine.....I don't worry a whole lot....:D

Will I get a Cobalt? Maybe someday....but I gotta get my use outta this one first.

91capri2050

Seaman Apprentice

Like I said before...beauty is only skin deep. That is/was Bayliners goal, sell the boat on the outside looks so you don't look any deeper at the quality. Flip up the seat and take a picture of the non stainless steel staples rusting or the plywood in the engine compartment that isn't properly sealed.

i would, but its dry docked at the marina an hour away. but i can tell you there is no rust and all my wood is sealed correctly.

personally i dont care what people think. they can talk all their crap and drop their 50k dollar boats in the water that they are paying for for 160 months. i'll drop my cash paid bayliner turd in the water and have fun, without a payment.

ezez

Petty Officer 2nd Class

...drop their 50k dollar boats in the water that they are paying for 160 months. i'll drop my cash paid bayliner turd in the water and have fun, without a payment.

:cool: Yep, my '91 Bayliner was paid for in cash seven years ago for well under $5k. In those seven years of ownership my whole maintenance/repair bill would total less than $1k and that includes a motor rebuild. ;) Do the math and you'll find that my families return on our dollar would be very high in our fun on the water.

BigBoatinOkie

I believe that Harley-Davidsons were absolute pieces of crap at one time. I doubt anyone would disagree that they are no longer an inferior product. From what I can tell, the Bayliners seem to be similar. I see more bayliners around here than anything else and I know that many of them have provided years of trouble free service. I think all the brands are way too expensive. If you have the $$$ to go buy a boat that cost twice as much as a Bayliner, power to ya. For those of you who bash Bayliners, do you know specifically what it is that makes them so inferior? I don't guess I've heard yet exactly what they do so differently, and more poorly than other manufacturers. And I'm not talking about the older ones that had QC issues. I get the impression that some people like to believe that anything that cost less than theirs is a piece of junk. You gotta make some pretty serious jack to be able to afford much more than a Bayliner, unless of course you go into a bunch of debt, in which case, you are a nut for going 40k into debt on a toy. Just my opinion of course. Anywho, unless you know specifically what it is about a Bayliner that makes it not worth owning, then you should shut your pie hole. If you do know, then by all means, lets hear it. I apoligize of course if someone did cite some specifics and I missed it. I read through the thread fairly quickly. Some of my apparent frustration stems from a-hole Harley owners that bash my Yamaha that will run circles around their precious hog, then when I prove it to them, they just say, well......mine sounds better. The endless Bayanchor or Gayliner thing just kinda sounds like the same thing to me. Pardon the enormous rant. :)

BigBoatinOkie

And another thing.....If you want a good investment, put 40k in an IRA. Buy a boat that you don't mind using. Don't spend a ton of money on something you're gonna be afraid to get a scratch on and hurt the resale value. I'll tell ya where you can find the most awesome boats on the lake.....all anchored in a cove together with all their cool boat buddies, in prestine condition, not being driven so they can preserve that all important resale value. Then they will chuckle when the poor cheapo Bayliner cruises by with a perfectly happy family inside, just as proud as they can be with their affordable little Gayliner. I may have one of those awesome boats myself real cheap in a few months after the repo autcion, because they couldn't afford 'em in the first place. :D

45Auto

Commander

LMAO - This is why I love these threads! It's great to see people defend their boats and reasons for owning them!

wingmastr23 said:
RogersJetboat454 said:

I completely agree......We have a friend that has a Cobalt 246....and it is a SWEET boat......My wife keeps pushing me to buy one....and I could tomorrow....But why?

My Bayliner gets us in the water.....the cash stays in my bank account....and at the end of the day, I had just as much fun in my 19' Bayliner as my buddy did in his Cobalt....the only difference is, if I wanna beach mine.....I don't worry a whole lot....

2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD

Here we have the guy who agrees with the "brand snob" post, tells us how much he loves his Bayliner, he has as much fun as a Cobalt, yada, yada, but he feels it is necessary to let you know in his signature that he owns a 2006 Mercedes Benz S500 AMG. Are you planning on trading that Mercedes in on a Corolla tomorrow? They'll both get you to the same place, you'll have just as much fun in the Toyota, your cash will be in your bank account, and you can park next to the clunkers in Wal Mart without worrying about scratches!

bruceb58 said:
91capri2050 said:
i would, but its dry docked at the marina an hour away. but i can tell you there is no rust and all my wood is sealed correctly.
]

Next we have the guy that is determined to defend his boat no matter what. Unless the wood in your Bayliner has been replaced, it's got a single coat of gray primer on it, and it has steel staples just like Bruceb58 posted (I actually walked out to my shed and got a seat base from an early 90's Bayliner to take a pic and post, but my wife had the camera at school). Most people don't consider the Bayliner gray primer to properly seal wood, but if you do - cool, glad you're happy! And the only reason your staples don't have rust on them is they were either replaced or the inside of your boat never got wet!

I had a '96 Bayliner for 7 years. Paid $5,000 for it in 2000, sold it for $4,800 in 2007. Put maybe $500 total in it in those 7 years including replacing a starter, the wood under the seats, and the dark vinyl parts of the upholstery. Hopefully it's new owner and his kids are enjoying as much as we did. It was a great boat, we had lots of fun in it. But it was a cheap boat, no where near the quality of construction or materials of the higher end boats. I feel no need to claim it was as nice or well made as something that cost lots more. No need to bash a Mercedes if you're happy with your Corolla!

bigboatinokie said:
If you do know, then by all means, lets hear it. I apoligize of course if someone did cite some specifics and I missed it. I read through the thread fairly quickly.

Next we have the guy who doesn't read the thread, but considers it necessary to tell people to "shut their pie hole" if they don't post their reasons for considering Bayliners as a lower quality boat! DUDE, read the thread! It's fairly easy to research this stuff, for example, here's the 2009 JD Powers consumer satisfaction survey, where they have boat owners rate their boats. At least Bayliner wasn't last!

jd1.jpg

bigboatinokie said:
I'll tell ya where you can find the most awesome boats on the lake.....all anchored in a cove together with all their cool boat buddies, in prestine condition, not being driven so they can preserve that all important resale value.

Wow, it must REALLY burn you when you see those guys with the big houses and big boats that can afford them flying past you!

Lots of people are proud of their cheap, paid for boats, how much fun they have with them, and rightly so! I am too, all mine were paid for with cash, just like all my cars and other depreciating assets. I think it's great that people can pay for their toys, I wish our government would do the same!

However, there's no need to bash other people who can afford more expensive toys and probably enjoy them just as much as you do yours. Actually, there's probably lots of people out there who CAN'T afford their toys but enjoy them more than any of us while they have them!! I know that if I had a fancy boat I couldn't afford I would enjoy the HECK out of it till they came to take what remained of it back! :D

91capri2050

Seaman Apprentice

actually the wood in my boat has not been replaced, and it does not have gray primer. it has a thick white bilge coating, with green streaks of some kind in it. im not here to say my bayliner is a mastercraft because it isnt, but it also didnt cost 60k and im not afraid to beach it or take it out. in fact, just did so today. its in great shape, but i have no problem using it and driving it right up on a beach. i just dont understand why people bash them. its mostly people who have never had one and have no clue.

I would put no stock in that J.D. power and associates rating. Tell me how in the hell the motors on the bayliner and maxum's are so much lower, when they are probably all mercruiser, with the exception of some volvo's thrown in there.

91capri2050

Seaman Apprentice

"Wow, it must REALLY burn you when you see those guys with the big houses and big boats that can afford them flying past you!"

You know the funny thing is, you would be surprised how many cant afford those things, and buy them anyway, which is why our economy is so messed up right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.