I keep on hearing how Bayliner boats have a bad reputation, how bad is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

supersizeme

Cadet
My buddies have told me a couple times to stay away from Bayliners since they are cheaply made and are garbage. I've seen it all over the net as well. How bad is it? Why do they have such a bad image? I don't exactly know the prices of them but I know they are the most affordable out there and they are quite popular as well.

lakegeorge

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: I keep on hearing how Bayliner boats have a bad reputation, how bad is it?

You hit the nail on the head, they are very affordable. That being said I would buy something else. Bayliner in their early years had a lot of quality problems and you also want to think about resale.
If you are hearing all the stories, so is everyone else.

NYBo

Admiral

A part of the problem is that Bayliners are often bought by inexperienced boaters who don't know how to maintain them. But their build quality has been improving over the years, from everything I've read.

Are you looking used or new?

91capri2050

Seaman Apprentice

I'm no stranger to boats, and I couldnt be happier with my 91 Capri. Its all about how it was cared for. Also, my 91 Bayliner is way ahead of other manufacturers during that same year as far as design and styling go. It looks newer than it is. It also has a 4.3/Alpha 1 drive, same as all the higher priced boats. Suits me just fine. Some people just like to tear things down to make themselves feel better about spending way more money on a boat.

bdanie

Cadet

I'm no stranger to boats, and I couldnt be happier with my 91 Capri. Its all about how it was cared for.QUOTE]

I'm with you. My 89 capri is my 2nd boat and i have had no problems with it. Besides a small pressure leak around the oudrive. Which i think it normal for a 20 y/o boat. If you find one that has been well cared for and maintained they are pretty good boats. I researched the hell out of mine before i bought it and heard all the trash talk about them but because of how well it was maintained and cared for and the fact i bought it from the original owner who still had the brochures from when they bought it new. I couldn't beat the deal. It's been a great boat for me and my family.

Summer Fun

Banned

my 91 Bayliner is way ahead of other manufacturers during that same year as far as design and styling go.
Did you fall and bump your head ??. :eek:

Put your turd up to a Sea Ray and we'll SEE who makes more money on selling the boat FIRST !!.:)
As you're loving the Baysinker pride & joy !!. :rolleyes:

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

Sorry buddy, but the lines of a 90-92 Capri are way better than a SeaRay of the same years. Hes talking about the looks not the resale value.

Take your pick. Both are 91's

006.jpg

m_VP1683184_1.jpg

PS

No need for bashing other peoples boats...

supersizeme

Cadet

I'm looking at selling my '87 Four Winns Liberator (first powerboat) and looking to upsize into something from 24'-30'. I'm looking at selling it sometime between next spring to 3 years.

I'm not sure if I want a cruiser or another muscle boat (either I/O or a CC outboard).

I'm looking used at this point.

Even if they are well-cared after, how do they compare to other well-cared boats in terms of design, materials used, durability with boats such as Four Winns, Sea Rays, Wellcrafts, etc....etc....

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

my boats are 53 and 26 years old.People tell me all the time how much they enjoy seeing the classic design/quality prevail over time.
are there "classic" bayliners? don't be a sheep following the flock.

just my opinion

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

Sorry buddy, but the lines of a 90-92 Capri are way better than a SeaRay of the same years. Hes talking about the looks not the resale value.

Take your pick. Both are 91's

006.jpg

m_VP1683184_1.jpg

PS

No need for bashing other peoples boats...

sorry but the bayliner looks like a bad 1980's dream-disco anyone?

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

How bad is it?

Does the name 'Yugo' ring any bells? Their rep is better than the BayAnchor ... ;)

Summer Fun

Banned

Sorry posted wrong pic last night !!. :redface:. Heres the 1991 Sea Ray.:).

sea-ray-185-bow-rider-62921090060457675257496565494552.jpg

I don't know where you got that Sea Ray pic from but thats not a 1991 !!. :eek:

m_VP1683184_1.jpg

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

A part of the problem is that Bayliners are often bought by inexperienced boaters who don't know how to maintain them. But their build quality has been improving over the years, from everything I've read.

I tend to agree along with the fact that when first introduced they were pretty much designed as Entry Level boats which were bought up by many first time boat owners that didn't have a clue as to how to properly maintain them or use them for that matter. Along with the fact that most outboard models came equipt with Force motors that suffered from performance and reliability issues.

I know this because I have a brother that bought one of the 1st year model Trophy Bass and the 1st year of ownership it spent as much time in the shop as it did on the water. I've been on it many times and have told him if you'd get the Force off this thing it would be half decent.

Hawk Eyes

Seaman Apprentice

Its just like Ford and Chevy owners. They think thier rig is better then the others, but when you get into age, its all about how well the boat was taken care of. A Bayliner that was stored in a dry place will be in better shape then a Sea Ray left in the rain and same if it was the other way around.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

the bayliner rep frequently posts on this forum... how many other reps do that on a regular basis?

scca vette

Petty Officer 1st Class

I do not know why they have such a bad reputation however I am glad they do. I have been kicking around the idea of rebuilding a good size (26 FT or bigger) cabin cruiser after I complete this BAJA. I have looked at a lot of Bayliners and I can buy some pretty decent project boats for a VERY good price. I also believe that I could MAKE decent money on a few that I have looked at IF I wanted to flip them.

Whatever the reason is people do not like them it must not be a major one, there is a TON of them out on the lakes around here every weekend. They must be hard to kill!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Bayliners starting in and about 1986 through the early 90s were the ones to stay away from. They may have looked nice but those were the days where there was a ton of competition and a dwindling market and Bayliner cut every corner to get the lowest priced product out there. Sorry...but beauty is only skin deep on these boats. How would I know...I owned a 1987 Bayliner Capri since it was new. It was a good boat in the beginning but the quality of the workmanship started to rear its ugly head as the years go by. No way would I buy one now after so many years.

And as far as looks go, Bayliners were one of the first to put the very slopey windshields in. More form than function I am afraid. You get so much glare off that slanted windshield you basically can't look through it. Obviously designed by a non boater to reel in the novice boaters.

Take your pick. Both are 91's.
Easy choice. The one with the functional windshield.

PS94

Petty Officer 1st Class

When I was looking around at used boats, I looked at some new entry level Bayliners. No radio, no side storage, no cooler, no glovebox, no carpet, minimal guages, it was a no brainer between a used SeaRay, with tons of 'little' features, or a showroom Bayliner, that I'd be embarassed to have friends on.

However, as a kid, we had a pretty decent Bayliner....

I think it's the low-level boats giving the entire brand a bad name, as you can get nice bayliners....

Think of a truck, you can go buy a entry level superduty, with no carpet, manual everything, bench seat etc...Or buy a King Ranch....
The Bayliner has optional comfort, the SeaRay has it built in, kinda like a Lincoln. There's no "base model" to drag the name down...

RickJ6956

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bayliner in their early years had a lot of quality problems ...

That's not entirely true. The "early years" were the late 1950's until the late 80's. Bayliner had a reputation of being one of the best when the brand was owned by US Marine. A friend has an '86 38-footer with twin diesels and it's built like a tank.

When Brunswick bought the name in 1987 they dumbed it down. It became the low-end offering in the Brunswick line that included Maxum in the mid class and Sea Ray at the high end.

Although the runabout-class Bayliners look good and have a lot of amenities, they put the money into that stuff rather than things like hull thickness. Compare Sea Ray hardware to a same-year same-size Bayliner and it's easy to see the difference. And remember that they are produced by the same company.

There's nothing wrong with owning a used Bayliner as long as it's been taken care of. As for buying new ... it will depreciate faster than just about every other brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.