Ford and Toyota

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
This pretty much sums it up.
"http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.jsp?articleId=281474977067637"

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Ford and Toyota

A lot of truth and a lot of half truths in there. :)

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Reminds me of the story of how the US space program spent untold amount of money to develop a ballpoint that would write in gravity-free space. The Russians used pencils.

mscher

Lieutenant

Although they scaled back, Toyota had planned to offer all of their models, as hybrids, or other alternative fuels, by 2010.

Although the Ford Taurus was one of the most enduring and profitable models, Ford ever produced, they decided "it was time" and closed the manufacturing plant.

One company is about building cars and the other is about profits.

Go figure.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It's not a matter of what they did with the profit, They HAD profit. Why????

Last edited by a moderator:

mscher

Lieutenant

Toyota has an obsession with building high quality vehicles, efficiently, which in turn they certainly make profits.

Ford is the prime example of an old bloated American corporation, where the bottom line, regardless of how dismal, is what matters most, IMO.

Does Ford make some great vehicles? They sure do. Are they as good as value and as desirable as Toyotas? The marketplace is deciding on that.

mscher

Lieutenant

Good points.

I forgot that Toyota has struggled a bit with their trucks, since they quit building them "over there". I drove a Japan built '80 SR5 for 16 years, requiring only minor repairs.

We'll bash GM next week ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant

Reminds me of the story of how the US space program spent untold amount of money to develop a ballpoint that would write in gravity-free space. The Russians used pencils.

The Russians still use pencils, and ball points are used every where else! :D:D:D

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

To think I had my post removed because it "Might" have upset a member with a different viewpoint and here we have two moderators argueing. Go figure or as Bro Haut would say- Humm......

Completely different subject matter Ken, so please don't bring the other post up on any other posts.
If you have a problem with your post being deleted, please just PM the mod that deleted it.

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

US automakers had the same problem in the 70's when people were also demanding vehicles with better gas mileage.

Here's the real problem, US automakers are actually making their "high gas mileage cars" LESS fuel efficient. I know you're thinking I'm nuts now, but consider this. I had a 1995 Chevy Caprice with the big V8 engine in it. It got 32 miles to the gallon. Now it managed that while still weighing close to a ton, and being much less aerodynamic. Today, I can buy a new car that barely weighs 400 lbs, and is 5 times more aerodynamic, but yet it only get 35 miles to the gallon.

More than 10 years later, less than half the weight, and at least twice as aerodynamic, and all we get for it is a lousy 3mpg? No way. There's no way these engines today are as efficient as those from 10 years ago. If I did nothing else but drop half the weight from my old Caprice, it would get over 40.

OR, I can go buy a Toyota that gets 45mpg.

And that's why US automakers are losing so much money? I'm sick and tired of them advertising their supposed high gas mileage when it's the same as last year and the year before, and a decade ago. If gas was as cheap as it was a decade ago, we wouldn't care, but it's not, so we do.

As I like to say, oil companies and US automakers are friends with benefits. While on the one hand the oil companies are benefiting from the automakers making less efficient cars than they could be. On the other hand, the oil companies are screwing our automakers. :eek: :D

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade

This pretty much sums it up.
"http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.jsp?articleId=281474977067637"

I knew that column sounded familiar. Was on a Auto Technicians network last night. Saw the same article from a year ago but GM was substituted for Ford.:eek:

Caveman Charlie

Chief Petty Officer

US automakers had the same problem in the 70's when people were also demanding vehicles with better gas mileage.

Here's the real problem, US automakers are actually making their "high gas mileage cars" LESS fuel efficient. I know you're thinking I'm nuts now, but consider this. I had a 1995 Chevy Caprice with the big V8 engine in it. It got 32 miles to the gallon. Now it managed that while still weighing close to a ton, and being much less aerodynamic. Today, I can buy a new car that barely weighs 400 lbs, and is 5 times more aerodynamic, but yet it only get 35 miles to the gallon.

More than 10 years later, less than half the weight, and at least twice as aerodynamic, and all we get for it is a lousy 3mpg? No way. There's no way these engines today are as efficient as those from 10 years ago. If I did nothing else but drop half the weight from my old Caprice, it would get over 40.

And that's why US automakers are losing so much money? I'm sick and tired of them advertising their supposed high gas mileage when it's the same as last year and the year before, and a decade ago. If gas was as cheap as it was a decade ago, we wouldn't care, but it's not, so we do.

As I like to say, oil companies and US automakers are friends with benefits. While on the one hand the oil companies are benefiting from the automakers making less efficient cars than they could be. On the other hand, the oil companies are screwing our automakers. :eek: :D

Pollution control systems cause a lot of problems. The gasoline itself is getting worse too. If you had your old Caprice back it would probley get worse mileage now on todays gas.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

With the new pollution controls...... Toyota has allot of PZEV cars..... read this C&P

Facts about PZEVs
? There are 35 PZEV or AT PZEV models in 2005. It is estimated that 140,000 PZEVs will be on California roads this year - reaching 700,000 more each year by 2011 in CA alone.

? Cars with a PZEV emissions rating have such tight pollution controls, and the burning of fuel is so complete, that in very smoggy urban areas, exhaust out of the tailpipe can actually be cleaner than the air outside.

? Gasoline vehicles meeting PZEV emissions standards sometimes have even lower emissions than hybrid or alternative fuel vehicles.

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

Pollution control systems cause a lot of problems. The gasoline itself is getting worse too. If you had your old Caprice back it would probley get worse mileage now on todays gas.

Maybe, and the fact that the drivers front tire kept snapping the lug nuts off and then trying to fall off, certainly wouldn't help it's fuel economy. :D

gonefishie

Commander

Did you guys read or saw the news last week about GM's latest trouble? Apparently, they posted record lost for the last quarter and planning on buying out all of their current U.S hourly workers and replace them with cheaper new hires.