tashsadaddy? anyone please help engine wont start!

let me start by saying that im new to boating and have been out twice in 1992 180 nitro fs with a 150 hp johnston evinrude out board -i have owned it for 2 months- each tirp ive been on i was with a friend who is a boat mechanic - he is pretty much retired as he is now working at the hospital and says that at 60 he is to old to be working in the heat and tight spaces -i can only imagine-i do not question him as he is the expert but the more i read here-i start to doubt some of his ideas - for example we have had trouble starting the motor and he used ether both times to get it started- but i have read on this site many times to never use ether! if so why not and what should i use? both times we went out he started the motor and after some maintenance -he gave me the ok to strike out on my own next time- well i got out there today by myself with wife and backed down the ramp - i turned the the key and primed it at the ignition while it was turning over - now he told me to turn the key and not to stop priming until it started about( prime about 10 times) i did this and then remembered i had not squeezed the primer bulb so i did that until it was hard- then reapeated the process 2 more times - still the motor was turning over well- but would not start and i had it in high neutral as instructed -i removed the cowling from the motor and turned the manual primer a couple of times but same result! now both times we have been out the motor was difficult to start but once it was running and was shut off - it would crank up on the first try and purred like a kitten - it is the initial start that is very difficult - he came out to where i was and removed the spark plugs and said these plugs are wet and that means you flooded the motor-he left the plugs out and and told me to buy new ones as these were very black inside and we dont know how long they have been in there- he told me to leave the cowling off over night to help the engine dry out /charge the battery / and install new plugs in the morning- he is going to meet me in the morning at the lake to troubleshoot- 2 separate guys walked up while i was having all this trouble and both independently said " those evinrudes are very hard to get started !" one guy said he had one and sold it because of the same problem - is that true? now im sure that i did my part to screw things up but i cant have my friend go with me every time i go to the lake! one guy said not to choke it at all cause it is so hot outside 90 deg or more but my mech friend said to keep priming it until it starts? now my wife thinks im lying about the boat working good - i did buy a boat before- that i got burned on -it and it sat in my driveway for 5 years collecting dust 1978 caravelle it looked shiny and nice but turned out to be a piece of junk to far gone to fix up! so now my wife is laughing at me and telling me i got ripped off again! she wasnt with us the first 2 times - please help or ill have to sell the thing to stay married! what am i doing wrong? and how can i fix it???????????:confused: please please help! i dont know about (sleepless in seattle) but im (fustrated in fort worth!):(

Pokertrampp

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: tashsadaddy? anyone please help engine wont start!

First let me say welcome on behalf of everyone here. second NEVER use ether or any other type of starter fluid, use WD40 or a squirt bottle with mix gas, as the ether does not have oil in it to lubricate the cylinders.

also, take a look at the "Top Secrete files" http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=299680 to help with most issues.
here is a link to the one for cold starts: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=225510

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

In proper tune it should start easily.

Most starting fluid doesn't have any oil in it and 2 strokes need oil or they die, so if it runs on the starting fluid for very long it can do damage that only money can fix.

There can be many reasons for hard starting, typically its technique, so read the links PT supplied.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

1 ether is a no, no. no oil and burns too hot. it sounds like your mechanic freind is a 4 stroke inboard/outboard mech.(tight spaces) so not that familiar with 2 strokes.

to start the motor needs to be vertical, not tilted, throws the carbs out of level.

testing, remove the cowl, turn key to on, push in on key, and listen for the primer solenoid to click, if it does not click it is not opening, and providing the increased fuel for starting.

the red lever you turn does not pump fuel, just opens the valve, and should not be necessary if primer is clicking.

also battery has to be fully charged as the motor needs to turn +-300 rpms by the starter, for it to start cold.

i would recommend a set of muffs, and start the motor at home, before venturing to the ramp.

as said the links are 100% correct.

thanks to all who replied i read the links in (top secret file) pertaining to my problem and will try again today - will let you know how it goes-oh and my mechanis friend is strictly a 2 stroke guy - he told me he didnt like to even look at 4 strokes if he could avoid it - of course when he had his own buisness he had to some times but did not like to at all - he mainly worked on 2 strokes - he did say that he would use ether until he could figure out why the motor was not starting- but i do recall now that he did say that ether wasnt good for the motor and should only be used short term if at all-he also told me yesterday that i shouldnt be spraying ether into the motor as i dont know what im doing yet and could cause damage- thanks to all that replied - i think part of it was my anxiousnous to get going on my first trip out on my own - i was told to turn the key and keep pressing the primer until it starts - i did but i was pushing it as fast as i could and i see now that is a mistake as it can flood- i read here to turn key and hold primer in and when it starts to feather it- so thats what ill do- ps does anyone know the answer to my question ( are evinrudes good motors ?) and is it true that thay have a reputation for being difficult to start?:redface: oh and one of you said to use wd-40 does that work like ether ? i understand now that the oil mixing with gas lubricates the engine and that spraying ether can dry it up and cause damage thanks to this site and its excellent posts - but i am walking a tight rope here im trying to implement your advice without offending my mech friend cause if he gets mad and decides he doesnt want to help me anymore- cause i wont listen - then ill be in the lake without a paddle - if you know what i mean:D

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Aerosol WD-40 no longer contains the explosive ingredient that once was thought to aid in starting engines. While still flamable, it is relatively useless for this purpose.

If the primer solenoid is functioning properly, there should be no need for injecting anything else to enrich the fuel/air mix for a cold start. The only other things needed should be the required 250 RPM minimum cranking speed to fire the ignition and good compression.