Trim and tilt help please!

2ifbyc

Seaman
I finally got all the wiring done for the the limit and sender switches. My issue is this. The boat is in the water and I can not take it out right now (no trailer). I need to adjust both limit and sender switches on the drive. The only way I can really get to them is when the drive is tilted all the way out. The manual gives directions for adjustment with the drive all the way in. Can someone tell me how to adjust the switches properly while the drive is all the way out and in the water? Currently my trim gauge is pegged at the bottom when the drive is all the way down. When i move it all the way out it just moves about a 1/4 of the way up. As far as the trim limit. Currently the trailer up brings the drive all the way up fine, but the trim also goes all the way up and down. Dosent stop the drive at a safe position. Im not sure how high its supposed to go with the trim vs the tilt.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Trim and tilt help please!

The only way I can really get to them is when the drive is tilted all the way out. The manual gives directions for adjustment with the drive all the way in. Can someone tell me how to adjust the switches properly while the drive is all the way out and in the water?

Ayuh,.... Sorry, but it Ain't gonna happen,...

cr2k

Captain

You should be able to get to the senders by turning the drive, hard port for TS and hard starboard for TL. Jump in the water with a phillips driver and someone at the helm.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

As far as the trim limit. Currently the trailer up brings the drive all the way up fine, but the trim also goes all the way up and down.

If you disconnect the trim limit wires at the connector in the boat, does that disable the up trim? If it does, guess you are WAY out of adjustment, if not, something is wired wrong.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You don't need a trim limit switch, or a gauge.
When you get in the boat, put the drive all the way down. When you take off, the boat will be plowing (nose down) and you will need to trim it up to get full rpm and speed. if you trim it too high, the rpm will go up and the speed will go down, at that point trim it down some. If it porpoises, trim it down a little more.
The prop will start piercing the surface and you will over rev, long before you will damage the drive.
Go experiment with it while running, you'll see. Probably 90% of the boats out there either don't have trim limit switches or they don't work.
Then, when you do get the boat out of the water, fix it ....... if you still have the desire to use it.

2ifbyc

Seaman

I will check but I think if i disconnect the limit switch wires it would still go up and down. I think some of the original wires were changed possibly from the pump motor and/or wire harness. Where exactly should the 2 trim limit wires be connected to inside the boat?

Don S

It would help a lot to know what you have, make, model, year, you know, all the good stuff.

2ifbyc

Seaman

Hey Don, the original reason I did all this was because the drive trimmed/tilted fine at the dock or when I was moving slowly. However when i went fast and needed to trim the drive I got no response. Then when i slow down to 5mph or so it trims again. Why dosent she trim for me at high speed but works fine at the dock. Also the pump resevoir is full but the fluid is very milky looking.

2ifbyc

Seaman

1990 mercruiser 454 mag 7.4l with bravo 3

Don S

Go to the link below and download service manual #11.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=251571
Those trim pumps have a high pressure and a low pressure side. If the wiring was backwards for some reason, someone may have changed the hoses around. Who knows. or, it could be just a bad pump assembly.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

I will check but I think if i disconnect the limit switch wires it would still go up and down. I think some of the original wires were changed possibly from the pump motor and/or wire harness. Where exactly should the 2 trim limit wires be connected to inside the boat?

Two black wires coming through the transom, going into connector with blue/white and purple/white wires. Sounds like someone bypassed the switch in the wiring somewhere.

2ifbyc

Seaman

How would I know if they were reversed? If they were could I just switch something at the pump to compensate for it? The pump also sounds very clean and smooth when i trim it up but when i trim down it makes more of a loud squeaking noise.

2ifbyc

Seaman

Hey Stony, someone definitly bypasssed it at some point. There is no connector for the trim limit wires to connect to, just wires with no ends that need butt connectors or whatever.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Hey Stony, someone definitly bypasssed it at some point. There is no connector for the trim limit wires to connect to, just wires with no ends that need butt connectors or whatever.

LOL you are learning fast:eek:. Best bet, download the manual, and study up. In the mean time, take Don's excellent advice in post #5 and enjoy the summer:D:D.