Average Top Speed for a Capri Cuddy 2052?

canadianb

Cadet
Hi all....

Does anyone know what my top speed should be for a 1992 Capri Cuddy 2052 with a Force L-Drive with a 19C Prop? I took the boat to the lake and was dissapointed with only 19MPH (measured with GPS) with a WOT of 3500RPM.

I tried all trim levels and when I trim up, there is not enough speed to plane out. I can only plain out with the trim all the way down and I only get the above speed/RPM. What gives? In Neutral the RPM's exceed 4500 and the same in reverse. IN forward I get the poor results mentioned above. The bengine idles at just over 1000RPM and fires up with no issues. Does anyone have any advice/suggestions?

What speed/RPM is normal with this boat motor setup? Also I am at at 3500Feet altitude (not sure if this makes any difference).

What prop setup should I go with for optimal performance?

Cheers,

Rob

Jack Daniels

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Average Top Speed for a Capri Cuddy 2052?

I would check your spark and compression which is always a good place to start.

roadrunnr

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Rob:
You didn't mention what size engine you have. Model number and serial number can help the guys here help you solve your problem. 3500 RPM seems to low. I agree with Jack that compression and spark are good things to check. You also may want to make sure that your carbs throttle plates are opening all the way at WOT. Fuel pump diaphrams also become weak and tear with age. Their inexpensive and easy to replace.
Good luck and remember to post your engine model number and hp!

canadianb

Cadet

Rob:
You didn't mention what size engine you have. Model number and serial number can help the guys here help you solve your problem. 3500 RPM seems to low. I agree with Jack that compression and spark are good things to check. You also may want to make sure that your carbs throttle plates are opening all the way at WOT. Fuel pump diaphrams also become weak and tear with age. Their inexpensive and easy to replace.
Good luck and remember to post your engine model number and hp!

Thanks Roadrunnr. The engine is a Force L-Drive 120HP as far as I know (Could it be anything different?.. I hear about 125HP here and there). The Model number is: 120LD92B and the serial number is 1078

With the new info above is it possible to figure out proper WOT RPM and Speed with the 19C prop? Does higher altitude make any difference from sea-level performance ratings?

I have never had to check compression and spark before.....what do I need and what is the procedure for doing this?

Cheers,

Rob

Nate3172

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How long have you had this boat, Rob?

canadianb

Cadet

How long have you had this boat, Rob?

I just picked it up a few weeks ago and dropped it in the lake for the first time yesterday. The engine hour counter reads 119hrs.

Cheers,

Rob

roadrunnr

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Rob:
120 hp is correct based on you model number. The first digits, first 3 in your case, tells the hp. 125 hp would be 1989 or older. You will need to buy or borrow a compression tester. You can purchase one at a local auto parts store for under $30.00. Remove all 4 spark plugs and either ground all plug wires or pull the dead mans switch to prevent damaging your ignition system. Then test one cylinder at a time, the readings should be within 10% of each other and probably no lower than 110 psi. If you have any questions you can always search this site for compression test posts. If you don't have a manual, Clymer is recommended for Force.

Nate3172

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I recommend that you check the fuel pump diaphram out and also make sure that the carburetors are opening up all the way at wot. Another thing that may need to be done is just a good cleaning of the fuel system itself. Compression and spark are good things to check too. I suggest purchasing a Clymers manual (not a Seloc) and follow the procedures in there. It is a cheap investment and can aid you with just about anything you would have a problem with. Good luck and let us know how things progress

roadrunnr

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Opps, I forgot to mention, the only thing high altitude would affect is the size of the main fuel jets. you would need to drop the fuel bowls to check this out. For 3000-4500' above sea level the recommended size is .092 for the top carb and .090 for the bottom carb. The sizes are stamped on the brass jets. If you want to see a good parts breakdown of your carbs go to mercruisereparts.com and follow the online ordering prompts for your engines model number.

canadianb

Cadet

Rob:
120 hp is correct based on you model number. The first digits, first 3 in your case, tells the hp. 125 hp would be 1989 or older. You will need to buy or borrow a compression tester. You can purchase one at a local auto parts store for under $30.00. Remove all 4 spark plugs and either ground all plug wires or pull the dead mans switch to prevent damaging your ignition system. Then test one cylinder at a time, the readings should be within 10% of each other and probably no lower than 110 psi. If you have any questions you can always search this site for compression test posts. If you don't have a manual, Clymer is recommended for Force.

Thanks Roadrunnr....I'll see what happens after the test. Thanks for the help! :) Cheers,

Rob

canadianb

Cadet

I recommend that you check the fuel pump diaphram out and also make sure that the carburetors are opening up all the way at wot. Another thing that may need to be done is just a good cleaning of the fuel system itself. Compression and spark are good things to check too. I suggest purchasing a Clymers manual (not a Seloc) and follow the procedures in there. It is a cheap investment and can aid you with just about anything you would have a problem with. Good luck and let us know how things progress

Thanks Nate3172. Awesome advice...will go and pick up that Clymers Manual for sure!

Cheers,

Rob

canadianb

Cadet

Opps, I forgot to mention, the only thing high altitude would affect is the size of the main fuel jets. you would need to drop the fuel bowls to check this out. For 3000-4500' above sea level the recommended size is .092 for the top carb and .090 for the bottom carb. The sizes are stamped on the brass jets. If you want to see a good parts breakdown of your carbs go to mercruisereparts.com and follow the online ordering prompts for your engines model number.

Awesome! Thanks roadrunnr!

cheers,

Rob

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

All good advice given above.

The 120 hp in the 20 footer was underpowered to say the least.
The elevation will also rob your motor of power.

So, even after you make sure all systems are working correctly, you will likely need to replace the prop with a 17 pitch, or a 15 pitch.

canadianb

Cadet

All good advice given above.

The 120 hp in the 20 footer was underpowered to say the least.
The elevation will also rob your motor of power.

So, even after you make sure all systems are working correctly, you will likely need to replace the prop with a 17 pitch, or a 15 pitch.

Thanks Roscoe... I went to aprop shop yesterday and I am going to try out a 17P prop on loan for this weekend. The owner of the store also suggested that going to 15p will help out with the elevation change and also reduce the amoubt of work the engine needs to do, hopefully resulting in higher RPM and WOT .....hence some more speed. Going from a 19P to a 17P should increase the RPM by 250-300 per pitch inch... so going to a 15P should add an additional 1000RPM or more.... theoretically. Will see what happens.....(fingers crossed).

Cheers,

Rob

canadianb

Cadet

OK.... instead of going down the mechanical road, I tried a 17P alluminum prop and reached 26MPH at 4200RPM. If I go to a 15P prop what speed/RPM should I expect?

What is the optimal RPM at WOT for a 1992 Force L-drive? Will going to a 15p prop be wise?

Maybe I just had too much prop?

Cheers,

Rob

seldont

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would go with at least a 15. I had a 1995 Capri 18 footer that had a 17p on in and it turned about 5250 rpm. That is just about where you want to be, tight in the 5000 - 5250 range with a normal load and trimmed out to where it runs it's highest speed. If you are running significantly less than 5000 rpm wot then you may be lugging your engine which can be as bad as over revving.