1978 Starcraft Mariner 210 Restoration

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1978 Starcraft Mariner 210 Restoration

Thanks roughshot, He was a great dog, and I hope he is happy wherever he now.

Maybe we both should of gone with 8ft fences!:D

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

My wife has been bringing home bottles of all shapes and sizes from work, So i don't think it will take too long before I have enough for the boat. Whatever i don't use, or can't use, i will just take and recycle.

I will keep you all posted.

jspano

Senior Chief Petty Officer

i'd take a good mutt over a neighbor anyday... heck i'd go as far as taking a bad mutt. i have 2 (sisters) blk lab, pit bull, schnauzer, poodle and a few others for good measure. they are awesome and were fence climbers. got out once(when they were pups) took me 3 days to find them. did the electric wire and that stopped that the wires still up but not live anymore but they will not go near it. at 1 time i had a shepard mix and full bred rottey. the mix touched the wire 1 time and that as it. the rottey tried it for days. my son said he was aggresive, i said no just insane. trying the same thing over and over again expecting different results.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

So yet another idea for flotation (courtesy of my father) has come up.

I was talking to him yesterday about the plastic bottle's and how my wife is bringing them home. He suggested the idea of PVC tubing with the end's capped. He has 2 dozen 20'ft 2" white PVC leftover from when their house was built. He said i could have it all if it would work. To me it seems like it would work, Just cap the ends with PVC glue. Same concept as the plastic bottles, but the PVC is a whole lot tougher, and won't break down over time.

I was thinking for securing it to them to the hull, just rivet them to the rib's on each end of the tube before the cap goes on. This would hold them in place.

Any thought's on this? If this is not a good idea, i will continue with the plastic bottles.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

The main issue I can think of is weight. That stuff is heavy. I'd definitely prefer noodles to PVC pipe.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The main issue I can think of is weight. That stuff is heavy. I'd definitely prefer noodles to PVC pipe.

Yea the noodles definitely would be lighter. The schedule 40 PVC weighs 0.60 Lbs per FT. Total weight would be about 100 pounds under the deck. I guess that is too heavy.

Well it was a idea, I am going to continue to collect the bottles for now.

Thanks EZ.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I considered the PVC route for a half a minute too. Just seemed like they would be too bulky, heavy and simply wouldn't fit very well under there.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

This morning I got the topside of the boat painted. Went ahead and did 2 coats, and I am going to leave it at that. I also painted over all the aluminum trim. Most of it was all pitted out and would not of looked good if it was left silver.

Here are a few pictures. They were taken with my phone, so they are not the greatest, but it gives you the idea.

IMG_0133.jpg

IMG_0134.jpg

IMG_0135.jpg

IMG_0136.jpg

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Looks great..Remember Chrome dont get ya home! :D

Too bad about Busa...What a great looking dog. :(

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks Kev,

I have never really been a big fan of chrome anyway, I like it better painted.

Busa was a good dog, my wife and i miss him a lot. The lady up the street was complaining all the time because he used to poop in her lawn. By the way she owns 3 of the dog's that just run around the neighborhood. We joked around about chaining all the Dog's in her yard at night and just let them go to town on her lawn:D, but I decided to take the high road and try to be civil.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Tomorrow I am taking a 120 mile (one way) trip to hopefully get a trailer. It is a older caulkins trailer that will need work. But with a $250 price tag I think it is worth it. The Frame and Axle are solid with just a little surface rust. The roller arms are rusted pretty bad, but I think i will just strip them off and build bunk's for the trailer. So if all goes well, I will finally come home with a trailer in hand.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well once again, the trailer i went to look at was no good. Just too much rust to make it worth while. I don't know maybe i am too picky, but I have learned that good things come to those who wait.

I have figured out the foam issue for my boat. I have found some old life jackets I am going to shove under the deck. Each jacket is rated for 150 pounds, so I am going to put about 2,000 pounds worth under the deck. Should keep it afloat if it ever needs too.

I am really searching hard for a trailer, I would like to get the boat on a level surface before i go putting the deck in. We will see what happens.

I just wanted to give a update at where things are standing.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I like the life jacket idea. I had about 3 or 4 old ones lying around and tore off the covers, kept the insides. Should work great I think!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Remember 150 pound rating is not for 150 pound of dead weight. It's for 150 pound of person which kinda sorta already floats.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Remember 150 pound rating is not for 150 pound of dead weight. It's for 150 pound of person which kinda sorta already floats.

Thanks EZ,

I was thinking about that.

What I have is 25 old orange life jackets all rated for 150 pound person. This equals 3,750 "person pounds". I was thinking that should be enough and maybe equal around 2,000 pounds of dead weight.

Think this is enough?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Just fill as much space as you can with stuff that floats :D

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I am sorry if I am asking the same question repetedly. I sometimes tend to over analyze things, and I can be pretty picky when it comes to some things.

I just want to make sure everything is done right.

Thanks guys for putting up with me so far...:D

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Picked up a few more life jackets tonight and also a few long skinny boat bumpers. I think i almost have enough to get the job done.

Tomorrow I am going to lay it all out in the boat, and we will see what it looks like. I will post up some pics after I am done.

Good night.

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

When you finish your boat and some day sell it. It would be pricess to see the look on someons face if they ever remove the floor. ROTFLMAO Pugetsound I live in Mt vernon and just restored a16 SS that was in baaaaaaad condition. I also have a 22 Holiday with a 200 Johnson on the rear Good luck on your project.