1978 Starcraft Mariner 210 Restoration

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: My first Starcraft

Isaac,
That's a Mariner 210 you got there. A center console. The framework is some sort of after market or home made frame for a canvas of some sort. The "windshield" was probably clear plastic, if it was ever actually used on that boat.

Take a look at the 89 Mariner thread in my signature. It's a tad newer but the layout is pretty much the same.

The lapstrake aluminum on the sides of yours tells us it's a 70 era CC.

Thanks a lot for the info!

I was wondering what model it was and now i know! The boat is a 1978, center console. The top is deffinetly a aftermarket/homemade top. It has all the snaps on it where a canvas top used to be. I like the idea of having a cover on it for winter fishing, but I am going to make it removable for the summer time use.

I will be using your pictures a lot to help me get it all put back together.

Once again, thanks for the info. I am excited to get it all finished.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

First time I popped in..Just read your whole thread..

Since you are going to be keeping the enclosure, I do understand the tuna bug..trust me!

What I would do is have it as far forward as you can..And with that small gap, have a sheet metal shop bend you something like this..Maybe leave the center open and have a canvas snap cover that you can undo for bow acess for setting the anchor or what not...

Attachments

• what Id do.jpg
    what Id do.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 0

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

First time I popped in..Just read your whole thread..

Since you are going to be keeping the enclosure, I do understand the tuna bug..trust me!

What I would do is have it as far forward as you can..And with that small gap, have a sheet metal shop bend you something like this..Maybe leave the center open and have a canvas snap cover that you can undo for bow acess for setting the anchor or what not...

Thanks. I like that idea a lot. I am really considering doing something along those lines. I will dedicate more time to figuring all that out when i get to that point.

I really do appreciate all the thoughts, comments, and ideas posted on here. These are the reasons this is the BEST boating forum on the web!

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Tomorrow I am picking up a outboard for the boat. A gentleman posted a free boat/trailer/motor on craigslist. He is moving in 1 week and needs to get rid of the boat. 1979 Evinrude 115. He said the motor ran 5 years ago, 7 years ago they had it completely rebuilt and he has paperwork to prove it, used it for 2 seasons and then it was parked. He said it comes with all his fishing gear, 1 innertube, keys, controls, the whole works. Still just need to find a trailer and I will be all set to get the boat put back together.

I will post pictures of the motor tomorrow evening.

Last edited:

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Dammm..It is raining BOATS out there..lol

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Dammm..It is raining BOATS out there..lol

I probably see 2-3 new free boats on craigslist every week. Most of the time they are just rotted hulls, but every once and a while one comes up with a motor/trailer/and boat. When they do, you have to be fast or they are gone.

I brought the motor home today attached to a boat. I am just going to give the boat away again after i take off the motor. The evinrude is not much to look at on the outside, but under the hood she is very clean! She turns over nicely, and I am sure won't take much to get her running. Before they parked the boat, the put all new coils (power pack) on the motor. I hope the 115 is big enough for the boat. If not, i will trade it for a bigger one!:D

Tomorrow the sun is supposed to shine. I am hoping to get the first coat of paint on the starcraft.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

oops, I forgot the pictures. here they are.

DSC_0179.jpg

DSC_0178.jpg

DSC_0177.jpg

DSC_0176.jpg

DSC_0175.jpg

DSC_0174.jpg

sprintst

Commander

That thing might just be mechanically sound. Some minor tweaks and you've got a great power plant there.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I am as green with envy as that motor is with mildew :p That thing isn't even that old! And a 115 will push your boat just fine.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Today I got the first coat of green on the boat. I am just painting the sides for now, and then i will tape off everything and do the bottom. I am going to run and get some 1,000 grit sand paper to wetsand between coats. The new HVLP sprayer works GREAT! Probably the best $15 i have spent in a while! Tomorrow I will wet sand and get another coat on.

I will post some pictures a little later.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ok boys and girls, here are the pictures of the first coat. I think it will come out looking really nice!

DSC_0194.jpg

DSC_0193.jpg

DSC_0191.jpg

DSC_0190.jpg

Huron Angler

Admiral

Nice score on the Evinrude, looks better on the inside so far so hope it runs and just need paint on the cowling.:)

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Nice score on the Evinrude, looks better on the inside so far so hope it runs and just need paint on the cowling.:)

Yea i feel like i made out pretty good. Can't really beat free! The guy wanted to start it for me in the driveway, but all he had was 5 year old gas. I said thanks but no thanks. He showed me everything that was replaced, and gave me all the paperwork to prove it. All the work was done by Bayside Marine in Everett WA. I am going to take it to my local marine shop and have them service it. New water pump, check compression, get it tuned right, Should be a good motor for the starcraft.

magoo

Cadet

score on everything
I will be watching this.Diggin the green.
wish we had free 'rudes around here in colorado.I could use one for my future SS build.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Wet sanded with 1,000 grit and got the second coat on this morning. Overall i am very happy so far on how it is coming out. There is a section on the port side that I am not happy with. I am going to have to re-sand and paint that section again. The rest of the boat is looking good. It is not perfect, but each time I paint I am learning and getting better at it. I really have a lot of respect for the people who do this for a living! I am going to let the paint dry, wet sand with 1500 grit and spray a 3rd coat tomorrow. I will probably end up with 4 coats of green. Anyway here are the pictures of coat #2

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0001-1.jpg

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Spent a couple more hours on the boat tonight. Sanded down the section on the port side and also a few spots on the starboard side. Everything is nice and smooth now. I am very happy with how it all is turning out. Tomorrow I will wet sand again, and get the 3rd coat on the boat.