Merc audio warning system not working and engine won't crank

ah64aviator

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Merc audio warning system not working and engine won't crank

For what its worth I just checked radio and it wont turn on

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Disconnect the main harness plug (Round 10 pin harness)
With power on, check the 2 large terminals on the engine side of the harness. Put your black lead on one of them, and the red lead on the other, and see what you get.

ah64aviator

Seaman Apprentice

I disconnected it (mine only has 9 active pins in it) and I had nothing on any pin. I checked each pin to all the other pins and got 0 volts.

Don S

You were checking the ENGINE side of the harness and not the harness that goes to the helm weren't you? The power all comes from the engine, not the helm.

attachment.php

Attachments

• engine harness.jpg
    engine harness.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 0

ah64aviator

Seaman Apprentice

Yep...bottom side, short side right off of the engine. Other side looped and ran into and joined another wire bundle at transom.

checked them individually to ground and all 9 have 13vdc

Don S

Now, with your meter, put the black lead of your meter on the neg terminal of your battery. Then put the red test lead on the #6 terminal of the engine harness from the picture above.

ah64aviator

Seaman Apprentice

Don S I'm done for the night. I am going to try to live and fight another day on this. After eating dinner it occurs to me that the radio not working must be related since you have to have the ignition switch on to turn it on. What do you think?

Don S

Could be on the radio question, it really shouldn't be on the ignition circuit at all. It should be on the accessory circuit with the bilge pump, blower, lights, etc. The only thing on the engine circuit should be the engine.
If you don't have power to the engine plug, you don't have power to the instruments or your radio.
I just uploaded this wiring diagram for your engine. It may help
http://www.4shared.com/document/vLDe3zXz/Wiring_Diagram_30L.html
Also go up to the Adults only sticky and download oem service manual #26

Those two should help you understand where the power comes and goes. Tomorrow, I have to go to work................... as a Boat Mechanic no less :eek: :eek:

ah64aviator

Seaman Apprentice

Now, with your meter, put the black lead of your meter on the neg terminal of your battery. Then put the red test lead on the #6 terminal of the engine harness from the picture above.

Went out and did this...can you tell I want this figured out? LOL Just to be sure I checked the right one, I checked them all from the pin to the neg term on battery and I have 13.9 volts on every one of them.

ah64aviator

Seaman Apprentice

Could be on the radio question, it really shouldn't be on the ignition circuit at all. It should be on the accessory circuit with the bilge pump, blower, lights, etc. The only thing on the engine circuit should be the engine.
If you don't have power to the engine plug, you don't have power to the instruments or your radio.

Those two should help you understand where the power comes and goes. Tomorrow, I have to go to work................... as a Boat Mechanic no less :eek: :eek:

I'll take a look at these but bilge, blower, lights, trim, and gauges all work. I hope someday I can repay you for all of your time today. You've gone the extra mile to help Don S!

Don S

I'm about to go to the Bayliner site and download the owners manual and see how they wired your boat. Is this a Trophy, or a Cierra?

ah64aviator

Seaman Apprentice

Its a 2007 Bayliner 185BR

ah64aviator

Seaman Apprentice

I just looked in radio owners manual for my boat and step one in troubleshooting guide for radio not turning on is: ignition switch not turned on

Don S

I just looked in radio owners manual for my boat and step one in troubleshooting guide for radio not turning on is: ignition switch not turned on

That is for the stereo, but it's not wired to the ignition switch on your boat. It is on a seperate 10A fuse just below the ignition fuse in the Bayliner owners manual I linked you to. DO NOT go by the stereo owners manual. The instructions are for cars.

ah64aviator

Seaman Apprentice

That is for the stereo, but it's not wired to the ignition switch on your boat. It is on a seperate 10A fuse just below the ignition fuse in the Bayliner owners manual I linked you to. DO NOT go by the stereo owners manual. The instructions are for cars.

Ok.

Don S

It may have the wrong size fuse in it, you should find a R-PU (Red w/purple stripe) wire going to the fuse panel and from the ign. fuse to the ignition switch.

attachment.php

Attachments

• ign.jpg
    ign.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 0

ah64aviator

Seaman Apprentice

It may have the wrong size fuse in it, you should find a R-PU (Red w/purple stripe) wire going to the fuse panel and from the ign. fuse to the ignition switch.

attachment.php

Yeah good idea to identify which part of the fuse block it is. I was looking for a diagram that correlates the schematic to the actual fuse locations in the boat but your idea is much simpler. ;) Checking now...

Don S

Are you downloading and looking at these links I am posting for you?