Just bought a 5hp johnson

4.0l sahara

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just bought this on ebay. I think for 175.00$ it's a good buy. I'm going to re paint it and and give it a little TLc. He also sayss it only has foward but if i'm right the lever on the side is a shifter.:rolleyes::D

Last edited by a moderator:

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Just bought a 5hp johnson

Not a bad deal. Nice little motor. Hasn't even aged enough to call it old. Actually, it does only have forward. That little lever is actually the throttle control. When you start it, it will be in gear, so you aren't really able to just let it idle and you not go anywhere. From the pictures, I would assume it is a good runner. I would take the precaution to change the impeller, and LU oil, and possibly rebuild the carbs.

Have fun.

4.0l sahara

Petty Officer 1st Class

okay I don't care if it has foward and reverse.

4.0l sahara

Petty Officer 1st Class

This should push a little 10ft aluminum boat pretty good right?

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah, I would think it would. My Evinrude 4 deluxe, pushes my 12 foot vee somewhere between 4 and 7 mph (never measured it, and it varies a lot with 1 or 2 people in it) And, we usually have upwards of the boats capacity in it. Now, it isn't great in allatoona (really large lake near here) as that lake just dwarfs us, but in a smaller lake or pond, it is great. You could probably plane a 10 foot flat bottom with that. Depends on if you have the weight in the wrong place. Unless you are gonna be in big water you should be great, and I wouldn't be in big water with a 10 foot flat bottom anyway (ain't never seen a 10 foot vee, so I assume yours is a flat bottom)

jspringator

Chief Petty Officer

A 1975 Johnson 6 will plane my 12' Portabote (v hull) with 2 people (one 100 lbs, the other, well ... more) at 12 mph.

4.0l sahara

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds like this will work very well.:D

4.0l sahara

Petty Officer 1st Class

What do you guys think of moters that you can't shift. I've never had one like this.:D

nimmor

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a coworker that has an older 4 H.P. johnsom that swivels a complete 360. I don't know if yours is set up that way or not. If not better make sure you have a boat paddle with you for backing up.

wbeaton

Commander

the shifter is much nicer, but those motors aren't too powerful so its not a big deal. Only thing is you'll miss neutral. You don't realise how much you use it until you don't have it.

4.0l sahara

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was looking at the type of motor thats in your avitar but this will do fine. Is this one of those motors where you can just replace the carb and boost the hp.:D