1963 (?) Evinrude Lark V help

JimboAZ

Cadet
Hi there, im brand new here... yesterday i was given a Glasspar which i believe from the serial number to be a 1963 Tacoma (14TA3002) with a Evinrude Lark V motor, which i believe from the limited research i have been able to do, is also a 1963 or close to it and 40hp... i got all this in kinda rough shape on a trailer for free. I have never restored a boat before (i have always been into restoring vintage honda motorcycles) but i am very excited to give it a go! i love the nostalgia of old vehicles... and boats too! Any how... i popped open the old Lark V and it looks beautiful inside at first glance. Looks like the fuel was drained because the glass float bowl appears empty and CLEAN. i was told by the last owner.. "it ran great when we parked it in storage years ago" ... years ago from what i know is 6+. it must have been rebuilt or maybe this Arizona weather has just been really kind to it... it is impeccably clean, no wires appear to be cut, frayed, or otherwise molested. The seals, lines, and gaskets all appear to NOT be brittle, cracked or dried out. But annnyhow... where should i start? i dont wanna just start cranking away and mangle the rings or anything, but it doesn?t look like something that is in real rough shape. I am pretty darn mechanically inclined so i do not intend on paying anyone to work on it for me. buuut like i said.. first boat venture so any advise is much appreciated.. also, where the heck do you get parts for these things? if it was an old bike id probably start by pulling the plugs and spraying WD40 in and slowly turning it over till i was sure i had good movement the i would check compression... Sound good?? any tips? even if you think its common sense dont be afraid to shoot me an idea i wont be offended haha. oh yea... what the heck is "selectric shift"?? Thanks everyone!!

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: 1963 (?) Evinrude Lark V help

All of the common tune up parts are available here at iboats, such as all of the ignition parts, carb kit, water pump impeller, lower unit seals, etc

There is a thread at the top of this Johnson/Evinrude forum titled "Top Secret File" that has most of the info that you need to know.

If it was my motor, I'd some deep creep or other penetrant in the cylinder and let soak overnight, then squirt some two cycle oil in there and hand-rotate to make sure there is no binding, then do a compression check, then check the spark. Then I'd replace the impeller if it's been sitting for years.

The 1963 motor is a 24:1 gas:eek:il ratio.

Willyclay

Captain

... what the heck is "selectric shift"??

Electric solenoid operated gearshift. I think it's great when it works but can be pricey to repair if you can even find the parts! Takes special gear oil also: Type C.

Before you drop a penny on fixing up that great old boat and motor, you need to make sure you can register/title it in your name. Good luck!

Sent you a Private Message.

Last edited:

JimboAZ

Cadet

great advice on the title info... im not even sure how that works here because i just moved to arizona a little while ago. i know when i restore bikes if its older than 25 years you just need a VIN verification @ dmv and if it doesnt come up stolen then your all set, i also know some states are verrry diff... luckily the person who gave me the boat says they have a title somewhere and they are going to sign it over so thats covered (i hope)... thanks for the tips on the parts, but this top secret file.. im missing it haha, ive been staring at this screen for ten minutes trying to find it... are cadets not allowed top secret info? lol
anyhow ill post up the pics in the morning and maybe someone can see if any issues jump out at them...
the gas/oil ratio is also a biggie, thanks for that.

JimboAZ

Cadet

alright, here are some pics....

motor2.jpg

motor3.jpg

motor5.jpg

motor1.jpg

motor4.jpg

JimboAZ

Cadet

motor6.jpg

motor7.jpg

so there she is just as i got her... any thoughts, red flags, warnings, etc...??
THANKS!:D

PS i havnt been able to get into the bottom yet, i didnt have any tools with me at the time.

Nasbinator

Seaman Apprentice

Wow, that is a good clean looking motor for its age. I had one just like it but didnt have the generator. Ive had motors sit alot longer than yours and just start them up, but I know thats definately not recomended. I would do what the other guy suggested and spray a lubricant in the cylinders and let it sit for a while and crank it by hand.

JimboAZ

Cadet

Haha I have to be honest... I good part of me wants to just fill'er up and let it rip, but my better judgment has brought me here. I'll give it some lubricant through and try and turn it slow in a couple days when I get over there. I also saw just a little bit of old gas (varnish) in the glass carb bowl,Like tiny spot at the bottom, so I will take that off and clean it unless someone else has a bit of advice on that. If all is well with free movement and all, I may then fill and fire unless there is something else I should know. Anyone got any advice as far as the bottom end goes? I don't know much of anything about this area on an out board... What should I check for or inspect?

lindy46

Captain

Haha I have to be honest... I good part of me wants to just fill'er up and let it rip, but my better judgment has brought me here. I'll give it some lubricant through and try and turn it slow in a couple days when I get over there. I also saw just a little bit of old gas (varnish) in the glass carb bowl,Like tiny spot at the bottom, so I will take that off and clean it unless someone else has a bit of advice on that. If all is well with free movement and all, I may then fill and fire unless there is something else I should know. Anyone got any advice as far as the bottom end goes? I don't know much of anything about this area on an out board... What should I check for or inspect?

I'd check compression (100psi+ and even) and spark first. If there is varnish in the carb bowl, you can be sure the carb is varnished up as well. If you have compression and spark, then invest in a carb kit and thoroughly clean and rebuild the carb. As far as the lower unit, drain and refill with type "C" or Johnnyrude Premium gear oil (for electric shift). Make sure to replace the nylon washers/seals on the drain and vent bolts. Connect to a battery and try the push button shift. In neutral, prop should turn. In forward or reverse, prop should lock up or at least turn only slightly and with great resistance.

JimboAZ

Cadet

Ok, well from looking around at some parts for this motor I relized that the glass bowl I was looking at(last two pic) is actually the fuel pump.. Right? And the carb is locates in the back of the motor in the third pic down. If I'm wrong let me know, I have to take a look again in person, the boat is sitting at my work. Now is a carb kit just screws spings gaskets and jets? This has been my experience in the past but I have only rebuilt motorcycle carbs so this is looking pretty diff at first glance. Anything I should kno besides go slow and keep track of the million little pieces. Can I soak the body in regular carb and choke cleaner? Is the fuel pump also rebuildable with a kit? I would like to do both if I've finally got this straight, for peace of mind and for experience. As always thanks for the help, you guys are great!

Nasbinator

Seaman Apprentice

I just bought and rebuilt this same carb. Its a very simple carb and easy to do. I replaced the whole float and valve assembly, and the gaskets. I was having a problem with the carb flooding and this seemed to fix the problem. I wouldnt bother taking the automatic choke apart(that red thing on the side of carb) unless you feal the need. And yes if the carb has residue in it I would soak it in some carb cleaner. And yes you can get a rebuild kit also for the fuel pump. The carb rebuild kit cost me $18.00 but didnt include the float wich was another $9.00. Not sure about the fuel pump kit. I got a book on this motor so if you have any questions, I'll try to help.

lindy46

Captain

Get carb kit from a Johnnyrude dealer and it should include the float.