What is this?

sbrad

Cadet
I picked up this boat today for free off Craigslist. Georgia DNR says it is a 14'6" 1959 Holiday. I have never heard of this manufacturer and can't find anything about them on Google.

The hull and transom are solid. All controls work perfectly. Any information about this boat would be appreciated.

holiday1.jpg

holiday2.jpg

holiday3.jpg

holiday4.jpg

holiday5.jpg

jspano

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: What is this?

oh my god you must have stole that boat!!!!!!!!!! :eek:
some one called the cops :rolleyes:

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

oh my god you must have stole that boat!!!!!!!!!! :eek:
some one called the cops :rolleyes:

Welcome Aboard!!!!

You couldnt find anything about Starcrafts??? I bet you found us! :D

LOL...I barely saw the LEO car...
It says Holiday for sure...But a glass Holiday???

I have a 68 Holiday, and 90 percent of Starcrafts were alum hulls..
And look nothing like that one....

osborn159

Petty Officer 1st Class

no help here, just wanted to say nice find, and that is a cool little old boat, shame it looks like a compost bin inside,
how are the deck and transom?? id check that out b4 going any further
good luck with her, D

IES99

Petty Officer 1st Class

That looks like a great project. Perfect if you could be fortunate enough to get a late 1950s Mercury OB for the transom. (IMHO)

jspano

Senior Chief Petty Officer

sounds like holiday is the model not the make!! look for a hin # like a vin(to our leo friends) might be to old for one

SnowHunter

Petty Officer 1st Class

So YOU'RE the one that got that boat!!! :eek::D

I didn't get to that listing fast enough....

Glad to see I might get to watch the resto of it though :D

Welcome to Iboats!!! :)

sbrad

Cadet

So YOU'RE the one that got that boat!!! :eek::D

I didn't get to that listing fast enough....

Glad to see I might get to watch the resto of it though :D

Welcome to Iboats!!! :)
Hahaha. Yep. The guy said he had never had so many emails!
There's no hull number. I called DNR and they said it had been registered as a 1959 Holiday but they didn't have anymore information.

Thanks Robert for the link. Looks very promising.

sbrad

Cadet

no help here, just wanted to say nice find, and that is a cool little old boat, shame it looks like a compost bin inside,
how are the deck and transom?? id check that out b4 going any further
good luck with her, D
What do you mean by composite bin? Everything I've found so far is fiberglass. Obviously I have never restored a boat before. :p

jkoppe73

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I had one of these years ago, the name that comes to mind is either Crosly or Crosby. we put a 50 horse on it, took it out to test drive it, and you turn right, well it went left, turn left, it went right. had to reroute the steering cable, made that first trip a real boating hazard!!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

You might want to post those photos here http://www.fiberglassics.com/ and ask.......

Welcome to iboats.... want to bring that back to life??? We will guide you ;) We can even show you how to mount a light bar !!

sbrad

Cadet

You might want to post those photos here http://www.fiberglassics.com/ and ask.......

Welcome to iboats.... want to bring that back to life??? We will guide you ;) We can even show you how to mount a light bar !!
I already posted over there and have gotten some good responses.
And you can have the lightbar on that Charger. POS.

sbrad

Cadet

Ok, I pulled the carpet up and took out the seats and here is what I've got. I would really appreciate any opinions on what it is going to take to get this thing going.

First, an overall shot:
holiday13.jpg

Now, what concerns me the most is this. Not real sure what to do with this corner:
holiday12.jpg

holiday11.jpg

This is in the rear in front of the transom. I'm not sure what it's for:
holiday8.jpg

I don't know why there are dual controls:
holiday10.jpg

There are two spots like this. This is where the seat bracket connects:
holiday7.jpg

sbrad

Cadet

Crack in the plexi windshield. If I can't even find info on the internet about this boat I know I'll never find one of these. Can you get plexi custom curved like this? My other thought, since it is right down the middle, was to add a chrome divider to hide it:
holiday9.jpg

Finally, a shot under the front dash. Really the only reason I took it was because the floor was still wet and goopy after pulling up the carpet and I didn't want to crawl my fat butt in there with a flashlight:
holiday6.jpg

My apologies if this is too many pictures or questions.

SnowHunter

Petty Officer 1st Class

Never worry bout too many pictures :D Folks here LIVE on pictures!!!!! ;)

Some will be along soon to help ya along!

I'm just gawkin at the pictures :D

SBTOM

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dude you got a hole in your boat! Nahh just kidding, thats fixable for sure.
Here's my humble 2 cents:
There are a couple ways to do this, but if I were you, I would patch from the inside. You'll just have to grind out that area and clean it up really well. You'll want feather out your grinding on the inside of the hull so that you get a nice wide surface for your patch to bond to. Then you can temporarily attach a flexible sheet to the outside of the hull to use as a mold. It could be thin plastic, aluminum, sst., etc. You can probably just tape it to the hull and you'll get more or less the contour that you need. Make sure to mold release your sheet really well so that it won't stick to the patch. Then start laying up glass from the inside. probably a couple layers of 1708 would do it.

SBTOM

Petty Officer 1st Class

yeah, you might be right, in which case, disregard my suggestion! I was looking at the underside of the cap which looks like glass. Also, I know that someone mentioned fiberglassics in the beginning of the thread

sbrad

Cadet

No, it's definitely fiberglass. Let me see if I can get a better shot.

I didn't think that repair would be too bad for someone experienced in fiberglass but I've never done it. Watched a couple of videos and it didn't look too hard.