What is this?

sbrad

Cadet
Re: What is this?

Well, I peeled a small piece of gelcoat off and it definitely had fiberglass stuck to it.
The hole doesn't go all the way through. I assume I'm going to have to make it go all the way through though, right?

SBTOM

Petty Officer 1st Class

Pictures always help. If you practice a bit to get a feel for the materials and follow the instructions, you'll definitely be able to do it. I'm sure this is one of the videos that you already watched, but I'll post it up here anyway because it has a good breakdown of all of the steps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsoKAHU5xUw

The only complicating factor in your case is how close the damage is to the transom. Chances are that given the age of the boat and the location of that damage, you are going to have to replace the transom anyway, so you might want to wait on doing the patch until you have total access to that portion.

jonesg

Admiral

The only complicating factor in your case is how close the damage is to the transom. Chances are that given the age of the boat and the location of that damage, you are going to have to replace the transom anyway, so you might want to wait on doing the patch until you have total access to that portion.

Thats it, by this time the transom is shot, unless it has been in a museum for 50 yrs.

With the transom out of the way its an inside patch and exterior cosmetic finish job.

sbrad

Cadet

I guess replacing the transom is a whole 'nother discussion? It seems really solid but I probably don't know what to look for. That sounds like a pretty big deal!

SBTOM

Petty Officer 1st Class

well its a cool looking boat and it would be awesome to see it restored. a transom replacement is a bit of work, but it will be worth it in the end. At this point, that boat is so old that I would be surprised if the current transom didn't look like mulch. If you are going to replace it anyway, thats a good thing, cause it'll make it way easier to take it out! :D

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Thats a 9mm GSW you took there in the starboard corner! lol

Nothing more expensive than a free boat, but that looker is worth all the aches, pains and dusty lungs!

sbrad

Cadet

I popped the top trim piece off the transom and you guys were right. I also found a colony of ants living in there.

holiday14.jpg

sbrad

Cadet

Thats a 9mm GSW you took there in the starboard corner! lol

Nothing more expensive than a free boat, but that looker is worth all the aches, pains and dusty lungs!
I'm thinking hollow point since it didn't penetrate very far. I did pick it up from the hood so that may explain it.

SBTOM

Petty Officer 1st Class

Are they termites? maybe you could just leave them in there a little longer and save yourself the trouble of having to remove all that wood....

Huron Angler

Admiral

Nice old boat there, should clean up nice:)

As far as having dual controls...that is a single control box. The taller lever is your throttle and the shorter is your gearshift.

I agree with the comment that an older Merc would look great hanging off that transom. Maybe not run too well but sure would look sweet:D

Good luck with the rig!

sbrad

Cadet

Does anyone know what this piece of plywood would have been for? It was glassed in around the edges. It was rotted pretty bad so I popped it off and all that was under it was the bottom of the boat.

holiday8.jpg