water in cylinders 2.5L mercruiser

dtucci76

Cadet
I have water in all 4 cylinders of my mercruiser 2.5L engine.And water in my oil. I thought it was a head gasket, so I replaced it. Still water coming out spark plug holes when water hose is attached. could this be a cracked blocked or more likely a cracked manifold?

Last edited:

cr2k

Captain
Re: water in cylinders 2.5L mercruiser

Yes and/or Yes.

Pull the head and check the cylinders look down a ways from the deck.
Also check the deck between the cyls.

If not properly winterized the manifolds could be cracked internally.
I would start with them and put water in the water part and see if it comes out the exhaust part.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

First thing to check is the riser then the manifold.Remove the manifold and check the riser then the manny.Usually these rot out and a hole forms and water works it way back thru the valves.J

dtucci76

Cadet

What do I check for? I am getting alot of water coming from the cylinders, like flowing. Would there be an obvious crack or hole that i should see?

cedarjunki

Chief Petty Officer

What do I check for? I am getting alot of water coming from the cylinders, like flowing. Would there be an obvious crack or hole that i should see?

having water in all 4 cylinders with just the hose attached .....i would check the manifold first. that much water theres gotta be a good size crack or even a hole!

was it winterized or left full of water? ive never seen a bad head gasket, cracked head or even a cracked block across all 4.....

dtucci76

Cadet

I didn't winterize. After work i'll pull the manny again. Lol thanks

dtucci76

Cadet

so i removed the manifold, plugged the water hose going to the manifold, from the thermostat housing. and turned on the water hose lightly and i had water coming from the exhaust port in the head on the front cyl. would that be a cracked head? Did i delete the chance of it being the manifold?

cedarjunki

Chief Petty Officer

so i removed the manifold, plugged the water hose going to the manifold, from the thermostat housing. and turned on the water hose lightly and i had water coming from the exhaust port in the head on the front cyl. would that be a cracked head? Did i delete the chance of it being the manifold?

well thats telling me either
a- headgasket blown
b- head cracked
c- block cracked

manifold might be ok but will not know until its tested or everything else is repaired.
now its time to pull the head off and have a look.

i know its not fun or cheap believe me!
just pulled one today that i thought the gasket was gone but it looks good.
i think the less than 4 year old manifold blew out :( $$$$$$

cedarjunki

Chief Petty Officer

sorry i forgot that......

then its either a cracked head or block...

dtucci76

Cadet

is there any way for me to determine which it could be? a compression check would help determine whether one or the other was bad, would it?

Bondo

Staff member

is there any way for me to determine which it could be? a compression check would help determine whether one or the other was bad, would it?

Ayuh,... Is the manifold still off,..??
Isolate the Blocks water passages,+ pressureize it with 15psi of air...
The listen for the leak,... Follow the sound,+ you'll find the Crack...

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... The head blocks Alotta Holes... Leave it on til you narrow down the search...

dtucci76

Cadet

thanks guys. I'm gonna do some testing on the block and head. i will post the results found.

dtucci76

Cadet

before i do alot of useless racking of my brain. could someone tell me the proper procedure and tools to pressurize the system, to check for air leaks? the manifold is off and the head is on. and do i need to check each cylinder individually

bigskiohio

Master Chief Petty Officer

they pressurize the cooling system but ihave never done it some instructions would be nice

Bondo

Staff member

and do i need to check each cylinder individually

Ayuh,... You're Not checking the Cylinders,... You're checking the Cooling Passages...

As I said above, Isolate the Cooling Passages,... Block off ports,.. Pinch off hoses,...
Whatever it takes to Isolate the Cooling Passages...
Then add Air... You'll Hear the Leak...

neumaniac

Recruit

you never checked the riser, it is commonly forgotten- alot of people jump straight to thinking that it is a cracked block, but the water in your manifold like that most likely is rotted risers, -- I only know this because i was having similar problems as you, after tons of research looking to buy a new block, i came across an article that explains that the risers are one of the main causes of engines choking on water, The riser is the elbow on the back end of the exhaust manifold, it is where the water mixes with the exhaust, when they get rotted out the water leaks back down into the manifold and will fill your engine with water, IMMEDIATELY you need to fill your engine case with diesel fuel, and put that mystery oil in all the cylinders through the spark plug holes, this will help to stop corrosion in the case, Make sure to not run the engine with this type of leak, water in the cylinders causes broken rods pistons and crankshafts, Risers are only like 100-200 bucks spend the time to check that out before you go doing anything crazy, According to the manufacture the risers need to be replaced every 2 years,
Good luck, let me know if that helps you out at all