mercrusier 165 wont start

I just bought a boat with a mercrusier 165 they said it ran fine but it sat for a year.. I went to start it and it just goes clunk any ideas?They said they just put new hydraulics would that effect any of the electrical to not make it fire? Thanks:mad:

Re: mercrusier 165 wont start

yeah the starter makes the clunk sound at least thats where its coming from

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

"starter goes clunk" does not by any means show the battery has a sufficient charge.
Go to Harbor Freight, buy a $3.99 digital VOM meter and check the voltage at the battery.

Did you even see this boat run before you bought it?

DukesFin

Chief Petty Officer

If you are hearing the starter "clunk", is it the solenoid engaging only or is the the gear from the starter hitting the flywheel?

If it's hitting the flywheel and your motor is locked up, that is bad... Is the motor seized?

"Clink" would be the sound of the solenoid, "Clunk" would be the sound of a starter hitting a locked up flywheel...

Any water in the oil?

Have you pulled the plugs yet?

I pulled the plugs no rust on the plugs.I hope the motor is not seized.Is there a way to find out if it is?No ive never seen the boat run i just went by what he told me his wife is a friend of mine..If the motor is sezied what are my options if any besides buying a new motor?How would i find out if theres water in the oil?

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

No ive never seen the boat run i just went by what he told me i just went by what he told me his wife is a friend of mine

All clear now.....soon to be your exfriend.
Best bet - since you are friends - have your friend give you your $$$ back and move on.

DukesFin

Chief Petty Officer

To see if your motor is seized, make sure you are in neutral, pull ALL of your spark plugs out and manually turn the motor (turn the pulley facing the front of the motor). With the plugs out, there should be NO compression, thus making it easy to turn the motor by hand.

You do NOT need to turn the key on. You do not need any kind of power to do this...

Just pull all plugs and (you might need a pry bar of sorts to help), but turn the motor (in the proper direction) by "hand".

If you can, good. If you can't... Seized motor.

To see if there is (a: OIL IN THE MOTOR) - Check the dipstick. If you see brown oil... good. Black... Not as good. Milky... water in oil.

Good luck again!

This is all assuming your starter is working though.

Gotcha well i only paid a 1000$ for a 23 foot cabin crusier so i guess il have to buy a new motor

DukesFin

Chief Petty Officer

That was the fastest plug pulling, oil checking, motor turning and starter checking I've ever seen!

QC

Supreme Mariner

That was the fastest plug pulling, oil checking, motor turning and starter checking I've ever seen!
Yeah, rockenstein, A then B then C . . . going straight to C is always bad, unless you are Psychic. If you are, head to Vegas before it wears off . . . :D

ParallaxBill

Petty Officer 1st Class

Tough luck on the motor but if it is an L6 they are still pretty common and affordable. Just make sure you use all the right replacement marine parts if you use an automotive long or short block.