will 2002 dodge intrepid pull 17 ft fish & ski with 115hp motor

kylake254

Seaman Apprentice
have a 2002 dodge intrepid with the big v-6 in it.will it pull a 17 foot procraft fish & ski with a envinrude 115 hp?also I will only be pulling it about 1 mile to our boat launch near house.maybe once in a while about 10 miles to other boat launches.boat weight is around 1000 pds,motor is 300-350 lbs.will have class 2 hitch installed.:confused:

JimMH

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: will 2002 dodge intrepid pull 17 ft fish & ski with 115hp motor

depends on the tow rating for that auto. It is a front wheel drive and the tongue weight will be a factor remember dry weight and weight with equipment, fuel and all accessories are not included in the weight of the boat from the factory. That boat will not have that heavy of a tongue and you should be alright on the short trip. Just remember you will need extra distance to stop especially in the rain. If you are planning on any trips I would look at investing in late 80's early 90's full size truck.

made in china

Seaman

I pull a 17' bowrider with a 115HP Merc using our Maxima which has a 3.5 V6, large brakes and long wheelbase, a similar setup as your Intrepid. Your Intrepid is probably heavier and longer wheelbase than our Max, which is good. Anyways the Maxima tows awesome. Getting in and out of ramps it does well. Let me point out a few things:

1) I have rubber traction mats in my trunk in case I get on a slick ramp. They are 2' wide and about 10' long, each. I have not needed them yet.

2) You can employ brake torquing to make your open diff FWD behave more like a limited slip. That works well for me to keep the one-wheelie-peelie at bay.

3) You better be sure what your max towing capacity is, because the authorities and your insurance company won't be very sympathetic if you have a accident while overloaded.

You may have some people claim that you can ruin your unibody while towing. This is completely untrue. By the time your trailer exerts enough force on your car, you'll loose control long before stuff gets bent (unless you hit something).

That said, you may want to follow other's advice and get a used beater truck. It is safer to use a truck, a car won't like long hills and won't be as stable at higher speeds as most trucks. I've had my Maxima up to 60 mph with the boat, it was stable, but I won't tow on the freeways. My boat launch is one block from our house, that is all we do. Get gas and launch. If I need to get the boat somewhere else, I call my buddy with a truck!
IMG_4974.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I towed my 16' aluminum Starcraft with an 85 on it for 2 seasons with a 2000 Buick Regal. That boat was probably a little lighter than your boat and the car pretty much equivalent. It towed it ok, stopping power wasn't the greatest. Our biggest issue was launching and retrieving. In order to get the trailer far enough down in the water we had to back the car down further than I was comfortable with...tailpipe bubbling, etc. After one particularly rough time at the ramp we decided to look for an inexpensive truck or SUV. Ended up getting an older Chevy 1500. Wouldn't be without one now.

rexmitchell

Petty Officer 3rd Class

We used to pull a double trailer w/ jet skis behind a v6 mustang, main problem we had which was stated above was getting the car so far down the ramp and into the water, also brought the algae into factor for the back tires. Get you an old truck and never worry about it.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Nothing, guys, NOTHING matters until you have established that the tow rating of the vehicle AS EQUIPPED exceeds the weight of the tow.

My rule of thumb is that we amatuer towing drivers should limit the weight of the tow to 70% or less of the tow rating of the vehicle.

Once that is established you can nit pick about V6, V8, V12; 3, 4, or 5 speed tranny; length of wheelbase, etc, etc.

BaileysBoat

Senior Chief Petty Officer

"Nothing, guys, NOTHING matters until you have established that the tow rating of the vehicle AS EQUIPPED exceeds the weight of the tow.

My rule of thumb is that we amatuer towing drivers should limit the weight of the tow to 70% or less of the tow rating of the vehicle.

Once that is established you can nit pick about V6, V8, V12; 3, 4, or 5 speed tranny; length of wheelbase, etc, etc. "

Exactly as JB says. Sometimes its seems these "Will it tow it threads" are about getting permission to do the wrong thing.

robert graham

Admiral

The distance you're pulling is a factor also, and since you've only got to go a mile or so, I doubt it's going to hurt anything at all. The big difference is when you get out on the interstate at 75MPH with other traffic,wind,braking,etc., also when you get to the ramp itself. Transmission temperatures are a big factor while towing on trips, and of course that won't be a factor just for a few miles. I pull my boat 500miles to Florida and have an auxillary transmission cooler and air shocks. Use good judgement and be careful!

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

The easiest way to find this info out is to simply open your owner's manual and read the specs. Since I didn't have one, I googled 2002 Dodge Intrepid Towing guide and found that all models were rated for 2000 lbs.

If you add the weight of the trailer to your calculations, plus gear, gasoline,etc. you're right at the hairy edge.

For that 1 mile trip on side roads at 30 mph I would personally go for it as long as the tongue weight does not load down the back end. With FWD, getting up MY launch ramp shouldn't be a problem either, but I don't know what your place looks like.

kylake254

Seaman Apprentice

thanks all,:)I think I just found a reason to tell wife I need to buy pickup

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

thanks all,:)I think I just found a reason to tell wife I need to buy pickup

I had never had a larger vehicle like a truck or pickup. Definitely wasn't a "truck guy". Then I got one. I decided to go regular cab/long bed to maximize hauling capacity. I have found it to be immensely useful for household hauling and things like that. The 4WD has been great to have in the snow also. And of course, it makes things MUCH easier at the boat ramp than the car.

wildspeed

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nothing, guys, NOTHING matters until you have established that the tow rating of the vehicle AS EQUIPPED exceeds the weight of the tow.

Once that is established you can nit pick about V6, V8, V12; 3, 4, or 5 speed tranny; length of wheelbase, etc, etc.

North America, the only place you need a truck to pull a 16'/19' boat to be legal on the road

All over Europe regular cars are used to pull trailer, but regulation and control are much strictier than here......and don't tell me that it's safer to pull a 3000lbs load with a Ford f150 than an Audi A6 or Chrysler 300C
Just for info on the 300C in Europe and Australia, the car is legal to pull 3500lbs with the V6 or V8 and 4300lbs with diesel engine. so why it is only rated 2000lbs in the States ????

TBONE59

Cadet

North America, the only place you need a truck to pull a 16'/19' boat to be legal on the road

All over Europe regular cars are used to pull trailer, but regulation and control are much strictier than here......and don't tell me that it's safer to pull a 3000lbs load with a Ford f150 than an Audi A6 or Chrysler 300C
Just for info on the 300C in Europe and Australia, the car is legal to pull 3500lbs with the V6 or V8 and 4300lbs with diesel engine. so why it is only rated 2000lbs in the States ????

you just answered your own question regulations for cars and trucks are much more strict in eroupe the bulid standard is much higher then in usa or canada

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

ATTENTION: This is not aimed at the original poster or any one person

The attitude that it's ok because it's a short distance is potentially very dangerous.... If the neighbor kid chases his ball in front of you and you can't stop quickly enough and even if you are found not guilty he is still dead and you have to live with it.... You CAN INDEED destroy a unibody vehicle by overloading it with a trailer... In europe blah blah.... in ancient egypt workers were routinely crushed into pyramids but that doesn't fly here and now.....

Does that mean you need a dually to tow a row boat? of course not but just there is no comparison between a vehicle designed for the load and a passenger vehicle..... Sure a car can tow a light boat.... A truck will do it safer... It will come with heavier shocks higher spring rates overload leaves in the rear springs and often tires with a much higher load rating.... The truck will also come with brakes that are designed to stop much more weight than that of the truck.

CAN YOU TOW IT?

Read the manual .... ask the manufacturer ..... GET YOUR BOAT AND TRAILER WEIGHED.....

As stated above 70% of rated is a very good idea..... IE if you need to ask you are obviously inexperienced (not an insult we all start out there) just as you start a new driver with short trips in light traffic a safety margian is a good idea here.....

Also just because acme widgets says their model c widget will haul x lbs doesn't mean that is an ideal situation..... after all there is great pressure to rate their widget a little higher than the competition....

wildspeed

Petty Officer 2nd Class

you can't stop quickly enough ...The truck will also come with brakes that are designed to stop much more weight than that of the truck

When both pulling the same 2500/3000lbs trailer, what make you think that a truck who already take 20 to 40 more feet to stop from 0to60mph with no load will stop quicker than a car who have shorter brake distance ???

timmyjoebob

Seaman

Amen to that. Not to flame anyone here, but just because a car can pull it doesn't mean it should.

Off topic a bit but I saw a Silverado pulling a minivan which was on a trailer. It passed me going over a mountain pass (goin about 70+mph) when it began to fishtail. The Silverado lost control and the entire rig did multiple barrel rolls into and across the median and into oncoming lanes of the interstate. Fortunately, no one else was involved in this accident, but the driver was thrown from his Silverado through the windshield and landed in the center lane of the oncoming traffic.

He was in a coma for 13 days and passed away. :(

When you see something like this, it changes the way you look at towing anything. Let's be responsible and careful.

made in china

Seaman

Sorry for perpetuating a "war", but there is some mis-information in here:

Cars in USA are not built to less strict standards than Europe. Here, trucks are as ubiquitous as liability and litigation. Easier to let a moron tow with a truck than a car, since it is true a truck is more capable.

Europeans prefer cars, so manufacturers of cars, including models sold in USA also, are more honest about the real tow ratings of cars. I also believe Europeans are more responsible drivers than Americans, as many who've visited Europe will attest. They take personal responsibility seriously.

Unibody cars will NOT become damaged by reasonable towing. I can't even believe that statement for a second. For example, if I tow 2000 pounds with a 200 pound tongue weight, how does that damage my unibody? Speaking of which, we were rear ended in our Maxima by a Ranger towing a tinny. The Maxima had no damage. The jolt to the car was considerable, and we were pushed into a Astro van in front of us which suffered a "re-adjusted" bumper. The Ranger folded in his front bumper. That same rear part of the car supports the hitch assembly, there is no force any where near what that accident applied to the unibody. Like I said, the trailer will push the car around long before the frame can be damaged. Seriously, it's not tin foil back there.

There is nothing wrong with using a car, at it's maximum capacity to tow a SHORT distance at low speeds. Many people here live next to lakes, and that is how a car/CUV is used. We all know that momentum is multiplied by speed. So yes, I would NOT want to tow at maximum capacity with a car/CUV at higher speeds.

I hate to say it, but my Maxima can tow our boat very well. It panic stops just fine, even on sweepers. I will NOT take it on the open road, or above 30 mph because I don't want to be the guy that "knocks on wood". But in the community where I live, it is a safe tow vehicle.

BTW, I drive CDL on occasion for my job. I have driven rated rigs at near capacity and THAT is scary. Blind spots, poor handling/acceleration, the ability to cream ANYONE who gets in your way. NOT fun. I feel much more comfortable behind the wheel of my Maxima towing than a big rig.

HOWEVER, be sure that I will err on the side of caution with anyone who says "it's just better to get a 1/2 ton or bigger truck" because this is TRUE. I too will be getting a more "appropriate" tow rig sometime this year.
BUT, it is NOT TRUE to say European cars are built differently, that is why they can tow. Or that unibody will fail when towing smaller stuff (any car's unibody will easily tolerate <3500 pounds + 10% tongue, that doesn't mean I am saying it is safe!)

Car manufacturers doing business in America are more interested in protecting their butts from morons. My wife's 2007 Impreza was rated at 2000 pounds towing. Her 2008? 0 pounds towing. The 2008 is a stronger car overall, but Subaru retracted the tow rating? And in Europe the same car is rated over 2500 pounds? huh....

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

When both pulling the same 2500/3000lbs trailer, what make you think that a truck who already take 20 to 40 more feet to stop from 0to60mph with no load will stop quicker than a car who have shorter brake distance ???

experience..... LOTS of experience

my truck weighs 10,000 lbs vs 3000 lbs for a car and has hydroboost brakes instead of vacuum assist and I also have 4 wheel disc with 4 wheel abs.... 2500 - 3500 isn't even noticable....

I have also personally had a unibody car that was damaged by towing a 16' bass boat.... It was a dodge omni.... and the previous owner towed that boat for a couple years with it....

I never once said you couldn't tow your boat with your car on your route.... I only said that it was possible to damage a unibody car by towing an EXCESSIVE load.....

Another thing.... simply statinng that you won't exceed 30 mph makes the point that it is not an ideal situation.... You seem to know the limitations of the vehicle and you sound like you drive it responsibly but you have to understand that this is not a private discussion between a couple friends in your living room.... this is a public forum and people reading can easily misunderstand so better to tell someone how to "do it right" and let them decide what shortcuts to take than to tell em what they "can get away with" and then they take shortcuts from there.....

Nothing personal here ... no need to take offense.... I tow my boat without a permit or wide load signs.... it's illegal and if someone calls me out on it then I have to admit that yep I'm wrong.... doesn't mean I'm gonna change but there is indeed a better way to do it