need advice before I really mess things up

jif102

Seaman
I went to put in my new thermostat. the bolts came out with no problems. I put the thermostat in and tried the motor. The one gasket leaks so I went to take it apart again. The one bolt broke about 1/2 inch about the engine block. It did not feel like it cross threaded or was over tight. The bolt was a little rusty.

I went tonight with a set of easy outs. The ones that are for rounded over bolts, not the drill in kind. I had the right size. The bolt broke again right at the engine block. I think I might have got some gasket glue into the threads. I have the drill in easy outs. Should I use some heat on the engine to help with removing the bolt? How would you recommend doing this? Or should I just us the drill in screw extractors and hope for the best?

The boat is still in the water. I did not think that changing the thermostat would be such a complicated job.

Thanks for the help

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: need advice before I really mess things up

I'd spray them with Kroil or PB blaster & let 'em soak a bit.....
I'd then drill them to put in the biggest possible extractor......;)

jif102

Seaman

I have been soaking it for about 2 days now with PB blaster. I was hoping to not have to drill but I guess I have no choice. If this doesn't work the nest step is roping back up to the trailer.

Tomorrow night it eithers comes out or the boat comes out.

thanks for the comments

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

I think we have all had days like that, some times the simplest things turn out to be the hardest. Are all the bolts in the same condition as far as being rusted through??? I had a similar situation with a starter bolt, snapped flush with the block I drilled a hole in the center and rounded the tip a little of an allen key of same diam. and tapped it into the hole. It came out a lot easier than I thought,quicker too to my surprise. Hoping the whole time I didn't snap the allen key, But it did work for me, Good luck.!!
IF IT WASN'T FRUSTRATING, I WOULD FEEL LIKE NOTHING WAS ACCOMPLISHED.

bsh21wash

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would first try using a easy out...What you need to do is tap on the easy out with a hammer while extracting. This ensures thats it's always biting.

Another way would be a left handed drill set. Good Luck!

capecodder116

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If it were me, I'd drill it, heat it, and use an easy out....should back right out..nothing works better than heat for rusted bolts....done tons of them in truck motors.....

jmills224

Cadet

Go to Napa and get you an appropriate left hand drill bit for drilling the bolt. I've had broken bolts come out with just the left hand drill bit. If it doesn't go ahead and use the easyout.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Go to Napa and get you an appropriate left hand drill bit for drilling the bolt. I've had broken bolts come out with just the left hand drill bit. If it doesn't go ahead and use the easyout.

By far the best plan of attack.............I'll just add you need to drill as close as possible to center. The closer you can drill it, the better your chance of success.