Toyota's 'problems' .... Or an attitude?

Status
Not open for further replies.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
What is going on?!?!?!

I've just seen a story on the TV news with a woman in tears because her car was accelerating without her control.... Yeah, so the accelerator pedal sticks down... Did she never think to just turn the key off? Are people really that thick?

I'm getting right royally sick of the 'help me because I'm sooo stupid I can't think for myself' section of society... and the people who pander to them!

Call me a fascist, but I am more and more thinking that there should be some form of intelligence test before anyone is allowed to procreate!!

Chris....

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral
Re: Toyota's 'problems' .... Or an attitude?

There's obviously something wrong with Toyotas - most likely the electronics, which controls everything. But you come on here ranting and raving about some woman that survived that defect.

So, to answer your rhetorical question - yea, some people really are that thick. And I think I just responded to one of them.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I can see this thread closing in a hurry !!!:eek:

ziggy

Admiral

Did she never think to just turn the key off?
if ya saw the ladie i saw testifying. that car don't have a key. it's push button to start/stop... best i got it. she pushed the button to stop to no avail...

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I can see this thread closing in a hurry !!!:eek:

LOL! Yup!

In the meantime, just watch out for the folks drinking McDonalds coffee, while driving a Toyota! They could be seriously dangerous! ;)

???

TilliamWe

Banned

LOL! Yup!

In the meantime, just watch out for the folks drinking McDonalds coffee, while driving a Toyota! They could be seriously dangerous! ;)

???

And hope to heck there isn't an Audi 5000 behind them and a Ford Pinto in front of you. if so you are going to have a BAD day.

Ziggy, excellent information.

Boatbuoy, yep, it's real easy, until it's you behind the wheel, isn't it?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Just food for thought........ forums were not popular when the Pinto's were bursting into flames. We will work through this.

gonefishie

Commander

Call me a fascist, but I am more and more thinking that there should be some form of intelligence test before anyone is allowed to procreate!!

Chris....

You fascist! :D Don't worry, mother nature is thinning out the herd. :D

To answer your question, it's a problem that ignited huge attitude.

Just a thought, for these vehicles that have start/stop push button. How come they didn't think of a kill switch that leaves the electronics on?

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander

"And hope to heck there isn't an Audi 5000 behind them and a Ford Pinto in front of you."

-and a Ford Explorer w/Firestone tires making a hard turn right beside you.:D

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I saw the woman's full story. She did what the car's 'puter would allow her to do and in the end did get it stopped and turned off.

I wonder how many cars involved in the recall Toyota sold, and how many have actually exhibited the loss of throttle control. I really suspect that the failures represent far less than 1%.

Anybody want to try to diagnose a failure that occurs in one of. . .let's say a thousand . . .cars once in several years and thousands of miles of driving?? Then try to explain to Congress why you didn't find it and fix it on all of the mentioned cars in a few days???

The lust to blame and punish is one of homo sapien's worst flaws. I think we should recall and re-educate all homo sapiens, starting with politicians and "journalists".

achris

And hope to heck there isn't an Audi 5000 behind them and a Ford Pinto in front of you. if so you are going to have a BAD day.

Boatbuoy, yep, it's real easy, until it's you behind the wheel, isn't it?

It did happen to me! 1985. I was driving a company car and was on a freeway when exactly that happened. Pushed the accelerator and when I lifted off it stayed on the floor, with the car getting quicker... Flicked the key to OFF, problem solved... Pulled up in the emergency lane and got the HOS towed....

Chris.....

WIMUSKY

Staff member

So, to answer your rhetorical question - yea, some people really are that thick. And I think I just responded to one of them.

I hear ya. I was going to call the guy an idiot, but, I knew calling someone an idiot would not be polite or probably fall within the rules of this forum. So I'll refrain from calling him an idiot.....

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

if ya saw the ladie i saw testifying. that car don't have a key. it's push button to start/stop... best i got it. she pushed the button to stop to no avail...

No, its not excellent information. The button stop/start switch on the Toyota and Lexus cars requires a push and hold for 3 seconds. In a panic situation, most people probably hit the button rapidly instead of holding it down.

Toyota put the 3 second delay in so drivers would not shut off the vehicle accidently while going down the road.

achris

I hear ya. I was going to call the guy an idiot, but, I knew calling someone an idiot would not be polite or probably fall within the rules of this forum. So I'll refrain from calling him an idiot.....

I appreciate the gesture. But I am not an idiot, just someone who can think for themselves and doesn't expect to be lead by the hand though life.

Please define exactly why you think I'm an idiot.... If it's because I expect people to act with more responsibility for their own actions? Then yes, I'm an idiot!

Chris..........

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

I wonder how many cars involved in the recall Toyota sold, and how many have actually exhibited the loss of throttle control. I really suspect that the failures represent far less than 1%.

From businesswire.com, Toyota Motor Corporation, consisting of its Toyota, Lexus and Scion brands, had 1,133 consumer complaints of unintended acceleration filed with NHTSA through Feb. 3. The complaints cover model years 2005 to 2010.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

I appreciate the gesture. But I am not an idiot, just someone who can think for themselves and doesn't expect to be lead by the hand though life.

Please define exactly why you think I'm an idiot.... If it's because I expect people to act with more responsibility for their own actions? Then yes, I'm an idiot!

Chris..........

I'll let you do all the talking......
eating-popcorn-03.gif

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Well I was going to provide an explanation as to why I was closing this. However pretty sure that explanation is no longer necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.