prop sharpining

I was wandering how to go about putting an edge on a prop, or to send it off to have it done. I'm purdy good with tools, so any input would be great.

Pony

Rear Admiral
Re: prop sharpining

Why would you want to?

Anytime I am doing anything with a prop I have a shop do it. Needs to balanced or else it can harm the gears.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

You want to reduce the surface area of the blades? If you cut away part of the blade, you'll change it's pitch and cup, too. Props like that have to run partially surfaced. You'll have to re-engineer the water pump.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I am totally convinced that a sharp leading edge on a prop translates to improved performance. BTDT

Know not why it would affect any of the other prop parameters.

As stated balance is important. How much, who knows, only running would answer that.

Prop shops can do it and check balance as stated.

If the prop is a looser and you have nothing to loose, you might go ahead and do it yourself remembering to keep the amount of material you remove from each blade equal.

I have a Hustler alum and I thought about sharpening the blades on it just to steadfastly prove the point that sharper blades work. Like take data on the prop, take it home and sharpen it, and go back and take data again.

Mark

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

This really needs to be in the Prop Forum.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Consumer props need sort of a chisel leading edge or they get cavitation on the bladeface and lose performance. Racing props like Cleavers are in a different category altogether.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Take a look at the Ballistic leading edge. That's where I'm coming from.

If I filed the Hustler, it would have to be a chisel due to the alum, but I still think that it will show a marked improvement over the casting edge.

Mark

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I say it is virtually impossible to get a proper edge free hand on a prop.The curve will not be uniform and the bevel of the edge won't be uniform and the balance will be off maybe not much but impossible to keep the balance right.
By all means check the performance of a good prop and then sharpen and let us know the results.I think if this backyard prop tuning worked there would be many people doing it and probably kits to improve performance.
I do agree a light touch up to remove minor nicks and dings is "a good thing" But wholesale sharpening of the edge is at the least not effective and at worst damaging.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

I thought he was talkin bout sharpening the blades to a blender-blade point, like a racing prop, like the pic in EvinrudeBoater's link....................

I'm skeptical that a sharp leading edge would give a noticeable improvement in most setups. Or even a measureable improvement. Maybe under laboratory conditions.

kp913

Seaman

Just remember, a sharper edge means a thinner edge, which means much easier to damage when you run aground or come across that floating log or what ever it may be. Unless you are into racing, and have a high performance propeller to start with, thinning edges or sharpening blades just isn't worth it.

www dot propellerforum dot com

Thanks for all the input on my post. I think I can handle the sharpining, but I'll have to think about it for a while before I decide. Any more info would be helpful. I have a RAKER 14 1/2 x 26p. prop. And again thanks for the input.

walleyehed

Admiral

Raker???
Have a shop do it or you'll ruin that prop.
If you're spinning that prop in the right RPM range now, you should be in the 72-73mph range...wrong speed for a slight imbalance and the gain with that prop will be very minimal.
If you want to do it anyway, just sell me the Raker and buy something else...Turbo Lightning comes to mind against the Raker...