1989 Johnson 20HP

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1989 Johnson 20HP

Called and got the water jacket gasket placed in with my order :) ah I hope all those bolts come out ok for me!

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

I like to use blue silicone. The right way to apply is to squirt a little on your finger and smear it on the clean gasket surfaces. Apply pressure, will leave about .003-,.005 thickness....... This is the newest way to do water passage gaskets......... Was taught by the Loctite professionals at a gasket seminar.

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Got in touch with my father, his wrench does not do inch pounds, guess I will wing it, I have a pretty good feel for what that should be like. I could see it being a different story if they we're the cylinder bolts!

Will let you know how I make out!
Cheers

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

I like to use blue silicone. The right way to apply is to squirt a little on your finger and smear it on the clean gasket surfaces. Apply pressure, will leave about .003-,.005 thickness....... This is the newest way to do water passage gaskets......... Was taught by the Loctite professionals at a gasket seminar.

Great advice, thank you kindly. I will do just that :)

blimp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Spray em down with penetrating fluid, PB Blaster or similar, NOW, and they should come out very easy. I was working on a bolt last night that would not budge. Heated it up and sprayed it down before retiring for the night, and this morning it came right out!

For the sealant, just put a thin layer over anything that touches the metal, don't overdo it, it can be messy.

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Spray em down with penetrating fluid, PB Blaster or similar, NOW, and they should come out very easy. I was working on a bolt last night that would not budge. Heated it up and sprayed it down before retiring for the night, and this morning it came right out!

For the sealant, just put a thin layer over anything that touches the metal, don't overdo it, it can be messy.

lol blimp you must have read my mind. As soon as I posted my last post I went outside and sprayed the bolts with Liquid Wrench :D So I take it the bolts marked with an "H" are the ones I remove? and I take it the ones marked with an "R" are to remove the actual cylinder head? again, this manual SUCKS and does not tell me this. :p

bktheking

Vice Admiral

It's either or but not both, I have inch and ft.

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Amazing! I owe you 6 beers now!:D

His wrench wont even go that low lol. well if it is only 7ft/lbs then I will tighten them all wrench/index finger,middle finger, thumb method then, I thought it would have been more then that, but it seems about on spec with a spark plug yes?

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

Yes just subliminal thought........ cross tighten them starting with the center and work your way out.....just like cylinder head.....

Alright may be i can come up there and visit, you supply beer , and I could bring some lightnin........lol It would be good to visit, especially with a lot of the folk here at IBoats...... Don't really need to drink, but have a good time with fellow kindred and catch fish.

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes just subliminal thought........ cross tighten them starting with the center and work your way out.....just like cylinder head.....

Alright may be i can come up there and visit you supply beer , and I could bring some lightnin........lol It would be good to visit, especially with a lot of the folk here at IBoats...... Don't really need to drink, but have a good time with fellow kindred and catch fish.

Perhaps :D Where abouts are you? I am actually born and raised in Sarnia Ontario, on the Canada/USA border to Michigan, now living up north in Ontario. Also have Sault Ste. Marie border that you can enter to get up this way as well. aha, you never know my friend. I am always down for fishin and beers, not to mention there is plenty of camping spots up here as well, right on almost any lake you want, if you can rough it and arnt scared of bears, wolves or the odd cougar :D

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Furthest I've ever been up hwy 11 is Huntsville, far enough for me!

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Got the water jacket gasket and the thermostat kit today and just got done installing it and yep. I had a dead thermostat. The motor actually gets warm now as before it was always cold! whew, I am glad I noticed that! :D seems to idle better now. I am a happy camper :D wished I had a temp gun to see exactly how warm it is getting. I can put my fingers on the head for a good 4-5 seconds anyway, could probably keep them on there longer, obviously things are working right now!

The old thermostat had some corrosion on it and lots in the thermostat housing where it sits, I cleaned all of that up as well.

Good to go! least I hope so now :)

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Question. Does my motor have an overheat buzzer? I know it has the SLOW option, but not sure on the alarm.

EDIT: Never mind, I found the answer to my question ;)