19' CC Rebuild/Refresh

SBTOM

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 19' CC Rebuild/Refresh

I went with a textured white gel coat for the deck, and textured yellow gel coat for the grip areas. I still need a couple coats on there, but here she is:

Grippattern-downtherail.jpg

Grippattern-TopView.jpg

grippatternstern.jpg

Grippatternwet.jpg

SBTOM

Petty Officer 1st Class

Grippattern-hatches.jpg

I still need to put on another coat or two, and I think I might adjust the colors when I roll that on. In the photos, the yellow looks more saturated than it actually is.

jonesg

Admiral

I used non slip paint on my deck, interluxe ablative, but dirt sticks like stink to it. It looks worse than before. I might re-paint.

SBTOM

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, I had to take a sanity break from the boat and do something else for a weekend. So I went camping and taught my girlfriend how to shoot. There is just something awesome about watching your lady send a half carton of .357's down range :D
Anyway, I got back to the boat last night and rolled on my last coat of white gel on the deck. I ended up having to add a little surfacing agent, because I wasn't happy with the cure out on the first two layers. I'll snap some photos of that tonight when I go back out there to work. I also got started on my new dash. I am going with a material made by Plaskolite. Its essentially a laminated acrylic sheet with piano finish black in between the laminates... pretty cool stuff in my opinion. Here are a couple shots of the material:

IMG_0870.jpg

Dash-switchpanel.jpg

I am using the same material for all of my trim pieces for the center console, and also for the enclosure face for the stereo system.

SBTOM

Petty Officer 1st Class

also, I forgot to ask: does anyone have any experience flame polishing edges on plastic? any pointers?

SBTOM

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here are a couple of pics of painting the bottom.

I pulled it into the booth on friday and propped up the trailer tongue until I thought that the boat was sitting at about the angle that it would be at if it were in the water. Then I taped out my lines based on that angle.

Bottompaint-linestaped.jpg

The same dude that helped me paint the top came in and we picked up the boat with a couple of fork lifts.

Bottompaint-liftingtheboat.jpg

Then we set it down on a couple of truck stands and home made block thing. We sanded it down to 220, used a pettit prep solvent, and taped it off. The reason it looks kind of pink is that the prep solvent leaves a slightly red dye of the surface.

BottomPaint-1.jpg

We decided to spray without thinning the paint at all, because I had good luck experimenting with that on the tower. In my opinion, it is way better to spray at 20 PSI through a large tip without thinning, because it really goes on nice and smooth and you don't have to worry as much about drips. Here is a shot taken maybe 5 minutes after spraying.

Bottompaint-2.jpg

final shots in the next post

SBTOM

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here's a shot from this morning:

Bottompaint-complete.jpg

Bottompaint-complete2.jpg

and a quick one of the tower, which is really still under construction. I decided to paint it in the mean time, because the hardtop is taking a while to complete and I don't want it to delay me actually getting into the water and doing some fishing!

Re-paintedtower.jpg

cc190cc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Greetings,

The flooring material went down fairly well, If you choose to go with this material i would be sure you order the manufacturer recomended glue when you order it. I would recomend you have someone help you put it down, I ended up with a couple of bubles but tackled this by myself and it was a difficult task. Be sure you have a roller ready also. Here is the link to my post, my boat is prety much done now.

Yours is looking great.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=370050&highlight=cc190cc

Chad

SBTOM

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys,

Yeah, Chad I saw you are looking like you are ready for the water, it came out great. I think that you actually have a really similar motor to the one that I am running. Your deck looks good, but I decided to just roll on some gel coat because I am comfortable working with it, and it turned out to be my cheapest option. Maybe I'll come to regret it, but if I need to put something over top of it I guess I still have that option.

Now I just have to get this thing put back together so I can do some fishing... I'm starting to get really amped up!

jspano

Senior Chief Petty Officer

WOW!!!!

man you are doing a great job!!

i can't come up with enough words to express.

SBTOM

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Joe, I've been checking in on that 21 footer you are working on... That thing is going to be sweet!

I have rounded the corner and started reassembly. I can't hang the motor until I get my rub rail sorted out and the pinstriping applied so I am trying to get the everything else put back together in the next week or so. I don't have any super exciting photos as of right now, but I did snap a quick pictures of the hatches that I re-painted to match the new color scheme. They are a combination of solid bright white, two tone off white and bright white, and solid off white.

Hatchesre-painted.jpg

I think I'll try and finish up the upholstery tonight and I am picking up the boot stripe on the way home.

SBTOM

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm still waiting for my rub rail to arrive. I decided to go my own direction and I ordered some non rubrail extrusions and I am going to cut/weld/bend my way as I go. We'll see whether I end up kicking myself for it, but hopefully I can make it work. In the mean time, here are some photos of the t-top getting put back on. I am going to have to weld on a few tabs in a couple of weeks, but they will be on top so I think that I will just roll and tip the paint to cover what I have to take off.
t-toprefit11.jpg

t-toprefit1.jpg

t-toprefit12.jpg

jcupo6

Chief Petty Officer

That boat looks sweet! You're doing a great job!

SBTOM

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Jerry!

My rubrail arrived over the weekend so I can get moving on modifying it. I went with this particular extrusion/insert because I could be them at cost from the company that I work for :D. Probably saved myself a couple hundred bucks there. Its usually used for elevator interiors and in hospitals etc.. to protect wainscoting. Anyway, its perfect for what I need it to do except that it is a half inch too wide. So I am going to cut or mill out the center portion and then spot weld it back together again at the right width. I did a quick test and it looks like that santoprene insert is flexible enough that it will work fine, and just have a more rounded effect.
Rawrubrail1.jpg

Rawrubrail2.jpg

I didn't take a picture of the 90 degree die cast corners that it came with for the transition to the transom, but they are pretty cool. I'll have to cut some material out of those as well as weld them back together, so I'm not exactly sure what will be involved in removing/re-applying the clear anodizing that they have on them now... Maybe I can clear powder coat them or paint them off white. Haven't decided yet

SBTOM

Petty Officer 1st Class

Rubrail, round two. I started by cutting out about an inch of material from the center of the extrusion. Then I got set up to spot weld the two halves back together. It was kind of an awkward operation. Interesting fact, about 30 seconds after I took this shot, my glove caught fire.
Rubrail2-cutandreadytoweld.jpg

I guess when you wear your gloves around a lot of highly flammable chemicals, you shouldn't then use them to weld. This shows the front face on my first weld. Too hot.

Rubrail2-spotweld1.jpg

Here is how I set it up. The wood was just there to protect the material.

Rubrail2-setup1.jpg

Rubrail2-setup2.jpg

more pics of it on the boat in the next post...

SBTOM

Petty Officer 1st Class

Rubrail2-bowon2.jpg

Rubrail2-bowon.jpg

getting it put on, I had to use a roller to prop it up.

Rubrail2-extra.jpg

Now I just need to get the transom peices put on, and finish the corners. Almost ready to re-hang the motor.

SBTOM

Petty Officer 1st Class

Its been a while since I've posted. I've been traveling for work and I haven't had a chance to get too much work done. I did manage to get the motor back on a while back, and a few other things done. Here's a photo from just after I put the motor back on. I'm hopefully getting pretty close to a launch date, more photos tonight or tomorrow when I can really get moving again. Still have a lot to do!

motorbackon.jpg