1967 Evinrude 6hp drive shaft reinsertion problems

cajuncook1

Chief Petty Officer
I am having problems reinserting the drive shaft into the exhaust housing. Removed the lower unit to replace the water pump and now I can't get it back in. It would seem that would side back in without much difficulty. The drive shaft plate under the crankshaft seal gasket is getting stuck midway up the tube. Is there a trick to this or do I need renew my shortbus pass?

There is a diagram supplied (borrowed the machinist's diagram)

All of the drive shaft seal parts are original except the drive shaft/crankshaft seal/gasket (1st part ) and the o ring (3rd part).

Any help greatly appreciated!

cajuncook1

Attachments

• 6hp waterpump issue.JPG
    6hp waterpump issue.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 1

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1967 Evinrude 6hp drive shaft reinsertion problems

up near the top of the mid section, there is a little slanted cross bracket that will throw everything off. while sliding it up, rub the shaft up against the wall of the mid section, all the way to the top.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

That looks like the same setup as my 55 7.5, in which I had to remove the powerhead to disconnect the shift rod to get the lower off. That whole setup becomes a non issue as I can put it back together from the top. I'm not sure how that model goes back???:confused:

F_R

Supreme Mariner

That looks like the same setup as my 55 7.5, in which I had to remove the powerhead to disconnect the shift rod to get the lower off. That whole setup becomes a non issue as I can put it back together from the top. I'm not sure how that model goes back???:confused:

Something is wrong here. That stuff should not have come down with the shaft. Are you sure that you have a 1967 6hp??? Are you sure it isn't a 5hp??

It helps to know what we are working on.

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I read it all wrong.

anyway, all of those parts are located under the powerhead. they do not come out without removal of the powerhead.

l_535f5d70f74c4e3a93a1461f43b89af5.jpg

l_4886f7ff76554b6787f72db501a8136f.jpg

See the prop hole? no way for the springs and whatnot to fall out

cajuncook1

Chief Petty Officer

Something is wrong here. That stuff should not have come down with the shaft. Are you sure that you have a 1967 6hp??? Are you sure it isn't a 5hp??

It helps to know what we are working on.

Yes it definitely is a 1967 6hp evinrude (6702S-E14920). I must give you a little more history about this situation.

- bought the motor 1967 6hp evinrude (6702S-E14920) from a guy for the gearcase, lower unit, throttle assembly, midsection and hood.(It was a complete motor but the powerhead was in poor shape)

- I have good running 1969 complete powerhead that I bolted on after I reassembled the motor.(90LB in #1 cylinder and 92#lb in 2nd cylinder.)

- I took the 1967 6hp evinrude (6702S-E14920) apart to replace the broken shift lever and replace the fractured steering bracket. So when the exhaust tube/midsection and lower unit was off, I disconnected the lower gearcase, because I knew I was going to have to change the waterpump and seals.*****I think that is where I made my mistake and I think that it what your eluding to FR**** The drive shaft plate under the crankshaft seal gasket came down with the driveshaft because I had the old powerhead off and removed the exhaust body and lower unit (after removing the motor mounts).

So, how do I resolve my situation? I have a feeling I'm going to have to remove the powerhead.

cajuncook1

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Yup, powerhead has to come off, I feel for ya brother:mad:

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

yeah remove it again.

When I remove mine, i remove the lower unit, then remove the power head.

When reinstalling, replace the lower unit, and put the parts back in, the drive shaft will help hold it all together.

when I first did my engine, I installed it with the lower off, it was a pain in the butt to get everything back together. the second time, with the lower on, was much easier.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Oh and I almost forgot...................

short_bus.jpg

It's ok, I got mine with my DVA 22uf cap instructions, duh.

cajuncook1

Chief Petty Officer

yeah remove it again.

When I remove mine, i remove the lower unit, then remove the power head.

When reinstalling, replace the lower unit, and put the parts back in, the drive shaft will help hold it all together.

when I first did my engine, I installed it with the lower off, it was a pain in the butt to get everything back together. the second time, with the lower on, was much easier.

So do I remove all the seal assembly parts listed in the diagram and then insert the drive shaft and bolt it on? Then will I remove the powerhead and then am I to, in order, slide the seal assembly parts from the top with the powerhead off.

-Can you tell me which parts I will be reinserting from the top and which from the bottom?

Oh will I have to remove the powerhead everytime I change the waterpump?

Thanks for the quick replies gentlemen!

cajuncook1

Attachments

• 6hp waterpump updated.JPG
    6hp waterpump updated.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 1

cajuncook1

Chief Petty Officer

Oh and I almost forgot...................

short_bus.jpg

It's ok, I got mine with my DVA 22uf cap instructions, duh.

LOL!!!! It's fun learning to repair these old but good motors!!!:D

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Here's how it works:

On the top part of the driveshaft there should be a roll pin. That pin fits up through the slot in housing the powerhead sits on (I guess the midsection)and pushes up on the bottom cup which in turn pushes the entire spring assembly upwards to create a positive seal on the bottom of the powerhead. The way it is designed to work- when you go to drop the lower unit you turn the shaft until the pin lines up with the space allowed in the pic of the midsection that was posted, the lower will then drop. The remaining parts from that spring assembly remain under the powerhead held in place by the metal lip seen in the pic. I wish my 7.5 was like this. If it's the same setup as mine, F_R has mentioned to replace the cork seal at the very top, so now is the time to do it. I'm sure if i'm wrong he will correct me on anything I just stated. :)

PS- if I were you, pull the powerhead, replace the spring and seal assembly , bolt the powerhead back on and put the lower back on.

cajuncook1

Chief Petty Officer

Here's how it works:

On the top part of the driveshaft there should be a roll pin. That pin fits up through the slot in housing the powerhead sits on (I guess the midsection)and pushes up on the bottom cup which in turn pushes the entire spring assembly upwards to create a positive seal on the bottom of the powerhead. The way it is designed to work- when you go to drop the lower unit you turn the shaft until the pin lines up with the space allowed in the pic of the midsection that was posted, the lower will then drop. The remaining parts from that spring assembly remain under the powerhead held in place by the metal lip seen in the pic. I wish my 7.5 was like this. If it's the same setup as mine, F_R has mentioned to replace the cork seal at the very top, so now is the time to do it. I'm sure if i'm wrong he will correct me on anything I just stated. :)

PS- if I were you, pull the powerhead, replace the spring and seal assembly , bolt the powerhead back on and put the lower back on.

Thanks, will probably get to it Thursday noon or Friday morning...I hope:)

cajuncook1

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

you'll need a new gasket. this really is a 10 minute job. assuming you have no broken or striped bolts.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

1. Pull the powerhead

2. Install the lower unit to the midsection.

3. Now stack the seal parts on the drive shaft. Yes, use a new 303355 gasket and 303347 o-ring on the seal assembly. You DON"T want any leakage there.

4. Now put the powerhead back on.

In the future, it is only necessary to rotate the flywheel till the pin lines up with the slot, then drop the lower unit down. The seal parts will be retained in place below the powerhead.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

so, is this true on all the 6's? I know it is on my 74 model.

cajuncook1

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks very much gentlemen!!!!! Will let y'all know how it turns out!!

Cajuncook1:)

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have been debating to myself weather of not that upper pin actually does anything.

if you think about, the pin will force the Seal spring Washer to spin, along with the spring, lower seal, upper seal, Drive shaft to c'case washer & gasket. probably not good.

I dont think that the pin even goes up in there. I'll test my theory out in the morning.

cajuncook1 - If you need step by step pictures on how to do this, let me know.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

trust us, you NEED that pin or the lower crank seal simply wont.
motor will idle nasty.
usually I shear that pin when trying to remove the gearcase.
but ALWAYS replace the pin if broken or missing before reinstalling the lower.
if you look at the spring cup you will note it has two indentions just for that roll pin.
reread some of the previous posts and it was explained how and why the seal works.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

That pin presses the powerhead seal firmly to the bottom of the crank. Everything together spins all at the same time, but the pin just compresses the spring in the assembly.