Replace waterpump every year, since when??

grouper1

Recruit
I have a question for the experts about waterpump replacement. Within the last few years I have seen what seems to be a new trend in outboard maintainence recommending the replacement of the waterpump on a yearly schedule. I have owned and operated most of the major brands and have only replaced the waterpump when there was a problem with it. Most could probably do it themselves, but some cannot. Even if you can, it can be very time consuming and expensive (especially if you must rely on a certified repair shop to do it or some of the repair manuals' less than ideal directions....usually it's foggy on the shift linkage disconnection in order to remove the foot). Is it a manufacturers recommendation and does it void your warranty if you don't follow the recommendation? Is it something new and what are the repair experts' opinions on this? Thanks for your thoughts.

deejaycee_2000

Captain
Re: Replace waterpump every year, since when??

I only replace mine if there is a problem with it .... if i had to replace the impellars on all my motors I won't have time to do anything else ..... if your motor is under warranty and you do anything to it yourself you will lose your warranty .....

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You guys must both operate your boats only when and where a failure underweigh is only a minor inconvenience.

Others operate when and where a breakdown may be a life or death concern and is certainly a major inconvenience. I go once a year to Lake Of The Woods, Ontario for a week. I am often 20 miles from camp or the nearest marina and usually 50 miles from the nearest replacement impeller.

Impellers are known to have a useful life, whether on the trailer or on the water. That life may be 2 years or it may be 5 or 6 years. There is no clock in it, but when it fails it often fails catastrophically, meaning stop the engine, NOW or destroy it.

Replacing the impeller semiannually or even annually is a modest investment in peace of mind.

I will move this to Non-Repair because it is not specific to any brand of outboard.

studlymandingo

Commander
Peace of Mind... Priceless

Peace of Mind... Priceless

In my opinion, the 45 dollars and 30 minutes it takes to replace the water pump in my V-6 is cheap insurance. I don't have to worry if today is the day the impeller crumbles and my powerhead becomes an anchor.

It is preventative maintainence, sure the water pump could last much longer than one season; but who really wants to find out how much longer that will be? Not I...

Water Pump replacement= about $50
Power Head rebuild= more than $1500​

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Years ago it was considered normal to replace your waterpump and get a "tune-up" on an annual basis. Tune-ups are a thing of the past since CDI became the rule. While waterpumps still wear and rot we don't push yearly replacement like we used to. For whatever reason, we find that people are getting a lot longer usage than they used to. Today we say every other year or when the pee stream begins to degrade. But my personal engines still get yearly replacement because, as JB pointed out, it's a safety issue.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

You can tell when a water pump needs to be replaced by having a water pressure gage rather than repalcing at a fixed interval. Lets say you replace your pump and the pump reads 20 lbs. at WOT. A year later it might read 18 lbs. If the following year it still reads 18 lbs. You might hold off but if it goes down to 16 lbs you might want to change it. You also need to consider what kind of water you run in. If you frequently run in very shallow water with a sandy or muddy bottom you might replace the pump more frequently than if you typically run in deep water.

Salmonseeker

Petty Officer 1st Class

I personally think Outboard manufacturers overdue maintenance requirements to make more money.

My old motor was an 1989 which had plenty of use. The impeller was never changed. My new motor recommends replacing it every two years. I might change it every five years or if there is a problem sooner. As pointed out above. I considered installing a water pressure gauge to monitor it. I think this is your best option. Chances are you will see the pressure drop before you look back at the motor and see the pee stream stop. They are relatively cheap. Plus I like the idea you can monitor the performance of the pressure.

My motor also recommends changing the spark plugs yearly. Now at the end of each season I check the plugs. They look brand new. There is no way I will change them yearly. What I do is change it the first year and keep the old set in the boat, just in case.(Make sure you have a spark plug wrench also).

I personally think it is a way for them to make extra money selling parts. If it makes you feel more confident in your motor go ahead and do it. I don't think it is a bad thing, just a waste of money. As mentioned above, breaking down miles from a parts store would not be fun.

Jay

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

An impeller for a 2004 50hp Johnson is $42.96. Not hardly a plot by the manufacturers to sell parts and make big bucks. Your idea doesn't hold water, pardon the pun.

icy

Seaman

parts might be less than 50 bucks, but around here it runs close to 200 clams to get a impeller done, no to mention that they want the boat for a week or 2 to get it done as its the busy time of year around here..

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

parts might be less than 50 bucks, but around here it runs close to 200 clams to get a impeller done, no to mention that they want the boat for a week or 2 to get it done as its the busy time of year around here..

The original statement was that it was a way for the manufacturers to make money. Manufacturers don't make money from shop labor costs. So icy, if you want to complain about shop labor costs, start a new thread.

studlymandingo

Commander

If you purchase a manual, offer a neighbor a beer and a ride in your boat, you can have the water pump rebuilt for the 42.96 and the cost of a beer. It takes less than 30 minutes to do the work.​

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Well, I have 9 lower units on runners now at this here dog patch, retired, and want to stay that way. Have some that came out of 40 year old Johnny's that look and feel fine, some motors picked up that looked they ran them out of the water more than in. I have a tube of 20 year old Dow Corning 111 Valve lubricate and Sealant. Stuff is slicker than dog snot. I put a new impeller in and slather it up. Stuff still there years later. It mostly depend in the water your running in..sandy bottoms tear them up, etc. Just never running dry at all will extend life. Its an individual motor/environment/time thing. No stock answer.

studlymandingo

Commander

Well, I have 9 lower units on runners now at this here dog patch, retired, and want to stay that way. Have some that came out of 40 year old Johnny's that look and feel fine, some motors picked up that looked they ran them out of the water more than in. I have a tube of 20 year old Dow Corning 111 Valve lubricate and Sealant. Stuff is slicker than dog snot. I put a new impeller in and slather it up. Stuff still there years later. It mostly depend in the water your running in..sandy bottoms tear them up, etc. Just never running dry at all will extend life. Its an individual motor/environment/time thing. No stock answer.

How often do you rebuild your water pumps in your main rig? (sounds like you have a few boats around your place there)​

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

Every year, do yall replace the impeller or the whole dang water pump?
And is this the whole water pump kit? It says w/o housing, and is the only one iboats has for my '71 50 horse johnny. I assume the housing doesn't just wear out, so you can reuse the old one, but even so, it seems like it should have more.
http://www.iboats.com/mall/partfind...gd_poid=110954&gd_row=36&**********=659223325

studlymandingo

Commander

I buy the whole kit; there is no difference in price for my '86 150HP​

tommays

Admiral

f486cc5b.jpg

I dont like to admit it BUT this is what a NINE year old merc GEN II pump looks like

It was still perfect BUT the slinger ring and oil seal was failing :eek:
f4702a98.jpg

The biggest issue is in saltwater , how much HEAT WRENCH you will need and what will break if you dont take it apart offen enough

Tommays

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

How often do you rebuild your water pumps in your main rig? (sounds like you have a few boats around your place there)​

3 plus a rowboat with 4 available small motors. Needed a complete new pump on the Volvo 350 2 years ago..salt ate the body/bearing finally. I might check it this fall. I just watch the temp mostly though..Other outboards I just keep a good eye on the water stream..still there, the heck with it. On the kicker motors, could be years..
(Amen on the saltwater..PITA!)

BillP

Captain

I've been boating 51yrs and owned ob motors for about 50 of them. For the last 30 or so yrs 2-3 motors and boats at a time. Right now it's 5 motors and 8 boats. From day one all the mfgs said to change annually. What I've learned from personal use is OEM impellers last about 5x longer than after market ones...quality of material is very evident as aftermarkets rot quicker and break easier. I change them every 5 yrs or so unless the motor was accidently run dry or in really dirty water. The longest I went on a low time small kicker was about 15yrs and it still worked and looked good when removed. If it matters to anyone, commercial guys running obs go 1500 hrs in clean water without changing them.

bp