They're telling me to stay away from Honda!

SeaNymph Man

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just came from a fishing website I belong to and one or two guys have told
me to stay away from Honda and that they are the worst outboards made!
At this point,I refuse to believe that. They did not state any particular reasons why,though,...yet they strongly recommend Tohatsu motors. There
are very few Tohatsu outboard dealers around where I live,hence the reason to choose Honda instead,especially since my Lund dealer carries Honda. I have heard and read nothing but good things about Honda's outboards.
What is your take on this? What would you say to these guys? Just curious!:confused:

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander
Re: They're telling me to stay away from Honda!

Why would the US Coast Guard use Honda outboards? Do you think they got the best price from Honda? Or maybe it has something to do with the thousands of hours of use with minimal mechanical breakdowns?
Honda made one of the first 4 stroke outboard over FORTY years ago. IMHO, they are the best 4 stroke money can buy. But I think my Yamahas do a pretty good job as well....;)

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Same reason I removed my Tecumseh from my snow blower and installed a Honda GX240???? Cause the Honda's rock IMO no matter what motor it is, OB/small engine/auto. They are probably just bothered by the cost vs other outboards, as the saying goes you get what you pay for.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

You didn't say what size motor is was, but for the most part Honda makes very good motors, I can't say that I've heard of any serious issues.

Like every manufacturer some models in the HP range may be better or worse than others when compared to the competition, but I can't think of any that need to be avoided due to poor quality.

Tig

Chief Petty Officer

Love my Honda. Local dealer is very important, although I must admit I have not visited mine yet.
What would I say to these guy? Probably nothing. I try to minimize the time I spend with negative people.

wbeaton

Commander

Why would the US Coast Guard use Honda outboards? Do you think they got the best price from Honda?

Actually, that's how it works. The government gets special pricing. There is, of course, still some room for personal choice when it comes time to purchase.

Also, Honda has been number one in 4 stroke outboards for 40 years because no else really cared about pursuing 4 stroke technology back then. Now the real question is...have they been number one in 4 stroke outboards for the last 10-15 years? That's hard to say.

At any rate, Honda makes good outboards, but so does everyone else.

SeaNymph Man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You didn't say what size motor is was, but for the most part Honda makes very good motors, I can't say that I've heard of any serious issues.

Like every manufacturer some models in the HP range may be better or worse than others when compared to the competition, but I can't think of any that need to be avoided due to poor quality.

The guy(s) that made the remark did not state what the size of the motor was,so I can't really give that info at this point. Like you,I have not heard of any issues that were serious.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I'm not a 4 stroke fan but if a person wanted a 4 stroke I wouldn't hesitate to recomend the Honda.As someone said a servicing dealer close by is probably more important than actual brand selection.

SeaNymph Man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Love my Honda. Local dealer is very important, although I must admit I have not visited mine yet.
What would I say to these guy? Probably nothing. I try to minimize the time I spend with negative people.

I,too,try to minmize the time I have to spend listening to negative people,...my dear old dad included! I love my dad,but like the guys
telling me to stay away from Honda,...he can be so negative at times.
Beside the point a bit there,but I hear what you are saying. My closest
Lund/Honda/Mercury dealer is just slightly over an hour's drive from
Bluffton,In.,...where I live,...say an hour and twenty minutes if that!

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Why would the US Coast Guard use Honda outboards? Do you think they got the best price from Honda? Or maybe it has something to do with the thousands of hours of use with minimal mechanical breakdowns?
Honda made the first 4 stroke outboard over FORTY years ago. IMHO, they are the best 4 stroke money can buy. But I think my Yamahas do a pretty good job as well....;)
actualiy honda was not even close for the first 4 stroke outboard,read,homelite bearcat ,which was ahead of its time and if not for a few unforeseen financal disasters may have very well of still been around today.

SeaNymph Man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Honda made the first 4 stroke outboard over FORTY years ago. IMHO, they are the best 4 stroke money can buy. But I think my Yamahas do a pretty good job as well....;)

Good point,...I should bring that up to them if they drag it out any further!

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I was sport fishing around Lafitte, LA. a while back and there is a large oil well support effort there. If they weren't running the Gimmy diesel powered steel crew boats, they were running smaller alum with a cabin shell, locally made (I know that because I visited the OEM), and all had pairs of Honda 150's.....don't know what stroke they were.

Mark

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Ford guys say stay away from Chevy and Dodge, Both of them say stay away from Ford. Toyota says stay away from everyone. Geez -- buy what you like.

wbeaton

Commander

actualiy honda was not even close for the first 4 stroke outboard,read,homelite bearcat ,which was ahead of its time and if not for a few unforeseen financal disasters may have very well of still been around today.

If we are splitting hairs then it should be mentioned that the first outboard motors from as early as 1896 were 4 strokes.

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

The biggest complaint I've heard on the Hondas here is that they're not real DIY'r friendly, I've never worked on one but I've heard it several times. So I would guess if that's true make sure you have access to a dealer. Having said that, every Honda I've ever had, mower, car, engine wise has been bulletproof.

OldMercsRule

Captain

Hey Cougar!

"Unforeseen financial disasters" me arse! LOL

If yer primary item fer sale doesn't have enough volume n' repeat sales from referrals n' such from happy cornsumers who run yer product sooooo ya have FORESEEN FINANCIAL DISASTERS!!!! LOL LOL LOL :p

4-pokes are slow heavy n' maintenence intensive. It took everybody on every oar* ta get enough kool aid ta cornvince those who don't pay attention ta buy 'em!!!! :)

* Nanny Gubmint's oar ta outlaw non 4-pokes, (made 2 strokes heavier n' more cornplicated tooooooo). Wink....wink

* Industry did their part with their oar makin' claims, (some valid as to noise n' such), that 4 -pokes actually got better milage, (intentionally ignorin' the obvious basic physics about a less powerful engine usin' less fuel).

* N' Gubmint didn't enforce problems with false claims.

* N' media did their part echoin' the pseudo stuff about less polution from a less powerful engine n' such.

IT WERKED! Now 4-pokes actually sell units in Kalifornia n' such, (not anywhere outside the USA), wink.....wink....wink.

Ever wonder why? Hmmmmmmm????? :eek:

Me overpriced $.02 JR
:D

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the overall problem is there are not many dealers. if you have a dealer near, i would not hesitate in buying one. remember you get away from home and have problems, you may not find a dealer.

Tig

Chief Petty Officer

The biggest complaint I've heard on the Hondas here is that they're not real DIY'r friendly.......
It must vary from model to mode but I've always liked working on my Honda products.
A few nice features of the BF50A are;
Drain lines for the carbs.
Vacuum ports in the plenum for balancing the carbs
Water flush port
Factory maintenance manual is available from Helm for around $70
Other manufacturers may do these things also.
The Honda's that I have had did not lend themselves to DIY tweaking for more HP very cheaply. In hindsight I now see that as an increased reliability feature. :)

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

the overall problem is there are not many dealers. if you have a dealer near, i would not hesitate in buying one. remember you get away from home and have problems, you may not find a dealer.

I think nowadays with everything being made so well and not many brands outshining others, we tend to say stick with a good local dealer. However, I find it hard to believe there are that many Tohatsu/Nissan dealers around???

gss036

Commander

I had well over 4000 hrs on my 15 HP Honda when I switched over to Yamaha, only because of $8-900 cheaper, was it a good move, I will have to with and see. They did give me a 6 year Yamaha warranty. I also repowered last year with a 225 Honda and I think it is a fabulous motor, quiet, good fuel economy compared to my 200 hp Mercury 2 stroke..