Cd/DVD drive not found by the computer

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
Guys, about 6 months ago, the Cd/DVD drive/burner on my Compaq desktop has had problems. I use Win XP.

When I first boot up, everything works OK. But after a few minutes (still havent found the trigger), the computer no longer sees the cd drive. Under my computer the drive isnt listed. When I reboot, the drive shows up.

Any ideas if it is the drive, the motherboard, or the software?

Ken

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
Re: Cd/DVD drive not found by the computer

I believe the cd/dvd burner has not worked properly since day one.

I was thinking of doing this.

1. Disconnect the cd/dvd drive from the system (have to break open the case)
2. remove all software
3. plug in the drive
4. reinstall drivers
5. reinstall the software

Anything wrong with this plan?

Ken

gonefishie

Commander

Before you go crazy, just try to reinstall the driver first. The driver probably got corrupted------drivers are like politicians, they tend to get corrupted from time to time :D. If you don't see the cd drive at all then it is a bios config. problem, if you see it and then you don't then it most likely the corrupted driver. Try to use the driver made specifically for that drive from the manf. of the cd drive. The drivers pre-loaded into XP are generic ones designed to works with most of the stuff but then it causes problem every now and then.

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

Do you see the drive in the BIOS? Check it a few times.

Coors

Captain

yeah, what mobo are you using? does it net up-date flash from manufacturer on-line. And as all said, get a new driver on-line, drivers are usually the problem, especially if you have more than one for the same application.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

OK, I came home and no matter how many times I rebooted, the computer never found the CD drive.

So I took the side cover off, unplugged all cables to and from the cd drive, plugged them back in and....

Now the computer finds the drive, but it wont read anything on any type of disk.

Trying something else, updat in a few minutes.

Ken

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I downloaded and installed drivers from HP/Compaq.

No change

I took CD drive out, took it apart, sweared at it, put it back together and nothing.

The computer says its there, put putting a disk in does nothing. You can hear the disk spin up and the laser move around, but nothing. You cant expore the files on the disk, it shows no files.

I think the drive is trashed.

Ken

rwise

Captain

Ken
Did you rebot while the cd/dvd was disconnected?

Coors

Captain

And then re-install it , and let windows see "found new hardware". But have the driver on a floppy, etc, and click- check here..

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Yes, I rebooted with the cd drive disconnected. In fact, it is out of the case right now.

I might try to uninstall drivers, then see what happens on reboot.

Ken

i386

Captain

Try to boot a bootable CD. Use your windows cd for example. If your bios is configured correctly for booting from cd and it fails you can be pretty certain it's not a windows problem and likely the drive is bad.

I've never personally had drivers with cdroms with xp. And I've never had to get drivers from the mfg for cd or floppy drives. Burning software is a different story. They just work. You might occasionally need to remove them from device mangler and let windows find them. You might also have to remove the device more forcibly by editing the registry. It's unlikely though.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Fixed it buy buying a new cd drive. I think the laser was out on the old one.

Thanks for the help guys.

Ken