1976 22' Starcraft Islander Rebuild

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1976 22' Starcraft Islander Rebuild

Impressive Jas. I have a slightly off topic question... how would you cut 4mm thick 5083 plate alloy? I need to cut two six-inch diameter round holes for speakers and she's tough as all get out to drill through let alone using a nibbler and such like. As you're doing such a great job fabricating the alloy on the Islander, maybe you have some inspirational idea that won't cost me the earth. Any advice appreciated!

TII

a) Try a hole saw, lube it up with light oil or wax. It'll load up if you run it dry.

b) Jig saw would work too. Try drilling a series of holes around the perimeter of your circle. Connect the dots with a jig saw, then clean it up with a dremmel.

If I was at work I would use a 2 flute .500 end mill at 20,000 rpm. Circle interpolate the hole with an Archimedes spiral then a single circle pass to clean it up.:p If you have a CNC machining center.

ts

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yah, I sure love WY too! I spent some time in the Wind Rivers, WY Range and in Lander too. Beauty!

Gotta tell ya jas, you're a good sport, and this thread feels a lot like we're all sort of just swinging by your place and shooting the bull while you work on the boat. What a great thread! :D

Now, to give you a peak at what it's like to come by my place while working on my boat. (Taken this morning while stripping paint.) :)

Attachments

• small-IMG_0001.jpg
    small-IMG_0001.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 1

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Gotta tell ya jas, you're a good sport, and this thread feels a lot like we're all sort of just swinging by your place and shooting the bull while you work on the boat. What a great thread! :D

Now, to give you a peak at what it's like to come by my place while working on my boat. (Taken this morning while stripping paint.) :)

HA! Looks like that tree isn't blocking up your view any more! Nice man!

ts

Petty Officer 1st Class

HA! Looks like that tree isn't blocking up your view any more! Nice man!

We were gonna make it a tree fort for the kids, but it holds too many yellow jackets. :eek: ...so it's gotta come down this summer.

Notice the lack of grass? The PO didn't know how to fix the irrigation and let it all go to dirt...now it's my other project. :mad:

Cheers!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

So I had some time to work on those gunwales today...

I started by mitering the very front edge in order to add a short section. I knew way ahead of time that these would be short as my entire cockpit got 2.5 inches bigger on all sides when I chopped off those gunwale ridges. I then clamped them in place and measured for the piece...
P1010777.jpg

Dry fit...
P1010778.jpg

Then riveted in place with some backer aluminum...
P1010780.jpg

P1010781.jpg

Same process on the starboard side...
P1010779.jpg

P1010785.jpg

Again, all this stuff will be for support/unseen. The very front of the helm will have a nice piece of finished wood trim there to trim things out.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Basically the same process at the stern too...
P1010789.jpg

I picked out two (out of four) of the best looking trim castings I had and attached those also...
P1010790.jpg

Here are a few shots of the completed gunwale/trim job...
P1010794.jpg

P1010792.jpg

P1010793.jpg

Overall I am super pumped at how this setup turned out (I had my doubts)! Two of the miters ended up pretty tight. The stern not quite so. I'll need to put some attention into all three to make them look good. A little sanding/shining maybe some alumaweld to make it all look finished.

Looks pretty good, solid and should be functional. Sweet!

I am looking forward to moving on to the transom now!! Giddyup!

Triton II

Commander

a) Try a hole saw, lube it up with light oil or wax. It'll load up if you run it dry.

b) Jig saw would work too. Try drilling a series of holes around the perimeter of your circle. Connect the dots with a jig saw, then clean it up with a dremmel.

If I was at work I would use a 2 flute .500 end mill at 20,000 rpm. Circle interpolate the hole with an Archimedes spiral then a single circle pass to clean it up.:p If you have a CNC machining center.

Thanks BD. No hole saw in my toolkit so I'll give the join the dots method a go, as my CNC machining centre is currently just a part of my dreams. Cheers!

TII

jspano

Senior Chief Petty Officer

jas, you might have to change your handle to TIN-KNOCKER with all this fab work

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Old School v. New School

Ok fellas, I might be second guessing my decision to go old school on this boat and am sort of thinking new school. I am sort of 50/50 at this point. Now that I have changed up these gunwales she is looking a little sportier to me.

Check it out, here would be the canvas...
P1010728.jpg

Now here is what I was planning...
67Islander.jpg

But what about this (minus the swooshes)...
94894980_1thumb_550x410.jpg

Or something like this (minus swooshes)...
VP1441834_2_large.jpg

Or this...
3429562615_abd6dcd674_b.jpg

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I also have this stuff...

New school...
gauges.gif

Old school...
ebay002.jpg

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm....

ts

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Jas, personally I think you could do the paint old school, and it will look sharp with the new school gauge pack. This way if you change your mind later and decide to put some color over the white, or add a swoosh, it will all still go well together.

I guess it comes down to how you will do the interior. You could make it "new school classic" (i.e. with class).

Just my 2 cents worth. :)

Huron Angler

Admiral

Those Starcraft gauges are something else...I have checked them out online and it almost made me wish I had an I/O and below deck fuel tank so I could use them:D

As far as old vs new it's hard to say, you can't go wrong with these rigs.

Maybe take it to your family and have a vote on it?(or are you still maintaining a benevolent dictatorship?)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Hey Jas, personally I think you could do the paint old school, and it will look sharp with the new school gauge pack. This way if you change your mind later and decide to put some color over the white, or add a swoosh, it will all still go well together.

I guess it comes down to how you will do the interior. You could make it "new school classic" (i.e. with class).

Just my 2 cents worth. :)

Not a bad thought TS but I am pretty sure that once this rig is done I really want it to be done! You know, actually run it sort of thing. Besides, I'll likely have another rig in the rebuild phase at that point.:eek:

As for the interior...

The cabin walls will for sure be built out of some quality finished wood sort of deal. All white seats, flooring TBD.

Those Starcraft gauges are something else...I have checked them out online and it almost made me wish I had an I/O and below deck fuel tank so I could use them:D

As far as old vs new it's hard to say, you can't go wrong with these rigs.

Maybe take it to your family and have a vote on it?(or are you still maintaining a benevolent dictatorship?)

Almost wish you had an IO, almost being key! They have OB versions ya know.

Yah, it's a tough call I like stuff about each direction...

Yup, still a benevolent dictatorship for sure. Daughter likes pink an purple stripes with my elder son pushing for blue and green.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Here is some other gear that may play a part in the equation...

Old School...
tilt.gif

New School...
switches.gif

Steering Wheel, could go either way I suppose...
steeringwheel.gif

Huron Angler

Admiral

That steering wheel is no good for your rig.

I can send you my address in a PM if you need to get rid of it:p

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

That steering wheel is no good for your rig.

I can send you my address in a PM if you need to get rid of it:p

Man, you are such a great iboat friend!

Dude I eBayed that for a few pennies! I really like it, it's heavy and beefy, feels right ya know!