Will STP cure lower unit leak?

jwilkey84

Chief Petty Officer
I was told by a man at the local marina that if I mix 1/2 STP oil treatment and 1/2 lower unit oil and put it in, that it will usually cure any small leaks that the lower unit may have. Has anyone heard of this? Does anyone else have any "cures" that I might try before tearing into all of the seals?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Will STP cure lower unit leak?

replace the washer seals on the drain and vent plugs. #1 place for water intrusion. should be changed every time the plug is removed.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

I wasn't aware that an engine oil treatment was also appropriate as a gearlube treatment. :eek:

Seals wear out from hours, rot from age, or are damaged by fishline or other causes. I suppose it might be worth a try, but I'm skiddish on 50/50. But only if you trailer the boat. I wouldn't trust it in a moored boat, or in any situation where gearlube condition isn't easily monitored.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Ya talking that thick heavy stuff ya can barely get out of the bottle? See no reason why it wouldn't slow a tiny leaky seal, but have fun trying to get it in!
If the motor's worth it, seals are easy to replace

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You can pay to have the unit rebuilt, or you can pay to have the unit replaced after the snake oil remedy fails to perform ... ;)

WaterWitch2

Chief Petty Officer

I have never had any luck with any kind of stop leak additives.

jwilkey84

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the 2 cents guys. I'll try it, because it isn't my boat. It is for a buddy with not much money. How many seals are there to replace should I go ahead and do that. I am sure I can do it myself, right? It cant be that hard can it? There would be a vent and drain screw seal and I am guessing there is at least one behind the prop. Where else would I expect seals? Can I buy a kit or would I have to get them individually? It is for a 1958 merc 58a, but it runs good so I want to maintain it. Thanks

studlymandingo

Commander
Get your snake oil here!!!

Get your snake oil here!!!

For Sale:

1 gallon of bona fide snake oil. Guaranteed to cure leaks, improve fuel economy by 78%, and cure flatulence!!! PM me for further details of how to order!!!

Personally, I would remove and replace the shaft seals first thing. Use marine gear lube and go from there.​

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Thanks for the 2 cents guys. I'll try it, because it isn't my boat. It is for a buddy with not much money. How many seals are there to replace should I go ahead and do that. I am sure I can do it myself, right? It cant be that hard can it? There would be a vent and drain screw seal and I am guessing there is at least one behind the prop. Where else would I expect seals? Can I buy a kit or would I have to get them individually? It is for a 1958 merc 58a, but it runs good so I want to maintain it. Thanks
Damn right its worth it...find an old Merc freak near ya...don't do it yourself..thats a Gem there...'course I like old Mercs..

diaric

Chief Petty Officer

first, figure out which seal leaks, fill and vent screw gaskets are most common, then the lower water pump seals. the prop seals usually are least likely. you can find your parts here
http://www.oldmercs.com/mark58a.html

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You were told that magic stuff will fix small leaks. Do you have small leaks? How do you know?

If it is truly a slow leak, I find it easier to just change the gear oil more frequently. As I'm doing this, I'll be able to tell if the condition worsens and then replace the seals.

As mentioned above, losing the vent and fill screws seals is the most common cause for water in the lower unit. For some reason, those things can just disappear.