Should I pay to have my driveshaft welded together?

Dave-115hp-1970-115083

Seaman Apprentice
I snapped off the very top end of my driveshaft removing the flywheel nut. should i take it to a shop and have it professionally welded together or buy new one?

I have run out of money trying to fix problem after problem with my boat.

1970 evinrude 115hp

cap0104.bmp

cap0106.bmp

Last edited:

burroak

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Should I pay to have my driveshaft welded together?

It can be welded and rebalanced by a hot rod shop. Check the cost of repair against a new one.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I saw the pictures that you posted elsewhere. Frankly, I would be very impressed if anybody would be able to weld that thing back together and it withstand the torque. Besides that, it broke at the o-ring groove. Without that o-ring the splines won't be around long.

I am also very impressed that you were able to break it the way you said you did. It must have been fractured before you ever touched the flywheel nut. Either that or you must have a terrific set of arms. That shaft withstands the power of 115 horses. Heck, I can maybe develop the power of one puppy-dog.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i don't believe it is a canidate for welding either. find a new/used driveshaft. you were lucky to get the rest of it out of the crank. also have you check out the lower unit. is it froze up?

reload

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have done a lot of repairs to shafts. It can be done but it is not something you will want to pay for. The repairs I've done were for myself and believe me it cost way more than a new shaft. I only did them to prove it could be done and because I have a fully equiped shop available to me where I can straighten weld turn etc.

Dave-115hp-1970-115083

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Guys, for the advise.

I would like to purchase one, but can't seem to find the part anywhere.

the two part numbers i have are:

year 1970, 384424
year 1969, 385414

both of which are not carried any longer.

I have a 1970 evinrude 115hp #115083

Any suggestions as to where i can find a new/used shaft??

6228SH

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If you end up not finding one anywere,do your homework as to were you take it to be repaired! the guy who says yeah I can do it no problem probably cant-go to the guy you have to talk into doing it if that makes sense-the guy who is reluctant probably knows whats involved in doing it right!

reload

Petty Officer 1st Class

It is an extremely hard repair. Alignment is critical, quality of weld is critical, turning and recutting the spline is critical, Heck it is all critical. A job like that done right will run about $400 or more including heat treat. May be able to make one from scratch for that.

Dave-115hp-1970-115083

Seaman Apprentice

I have sent emails out to a half-dozen suppliers to see if any of them carry the driveshaft. I've got a bad feeling about welding it.

I didn't find a rubber o-ring or anything loose parts from inside the motor. is it suppose to have a rubber o-ring where it broke?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

yes, it's probably in a million pieces, or fell out when you dropped the lower. helps keep crud out of the splines. it may not have even been in there. some people don't know to replace when doing the water pump.

tcoutboards.com you have to call, they get so many emails, they can't deal with them.

reload

Petty Officer 1st Class

I believe the o-ring went in the groove where it broke.

Dave-115hp-1970-115083

Seaman Apprentice

Now that my boat motor is in a million pieces. Should I replace anything that i will kick myself later for not having done so?

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

That shaft did'nt just happen to snap off. You probably have a sprung exhaust housing, meaning the next shaft will also break.

Dave-115hp-1970-115083

Seaman Apprentice

That shaft did'nt just happen to snap off. You probably have a sprung exhaust housing, meaning the next shaft will also break.

What in the world is a "sprung" exhaust housing. :confused:

Basically the drive system worked fine the one and only time i had my new(used) boat out on the lake.

The next time 3 times i took it to the lake it would not start, so replaced everything associated with the ignition system.

In doing so, i had to remove the flywheel. The nut was VERY tight.

The method I used was: while wrapping a strap around the fly wheel, and jamming the teeth with a pry bar, and placing one foot on top of the it ---- I hammered the end of a two foot extension bar which had a sock.

It was not until I used a small torch too that it broke free..

reload

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nothing there really would cause the shaft to break.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

A sprung exhaust housing mean's a bent exhaust housing. A factory service manual well tell you, if you have a broken upper drive shaft, check for a bent exhaust housing. You do this on a surface plate with a surface guage, or dial indicator. You can also use a drill press table with a dial indicator. If the case is bent, the drive shaft will run on a bind, and break at the weakest point, being the driveshaft o-ring groove. Most any machined part that end's in a sharp 90 degree corner can develop a stress crack. The o-ring groove has these sharp corners'. The shaft could break from metal fatigue at this point, but if the case is bent, it will break again.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

I got a guy in key largo has tons of salvage parts 305 852-2725