My first timing belt replacement

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander
I have little fear of tearing apart my Merc 3.0L or any small engine on the planet, but when it came to replace the timing belt in my 2000 Neon, I was sweating bullets.

These newfangled engines with more plastic than metal resemble giant watches to me. Watches which, when dismantled, explode with springs and parts, never again to be reassembled without a hefty dose of hot glue. So when I realized my car had an interference engine with a timing belt, the anxiety level began to rise. I scoured the net for any tidbits of wisdom as to how to swap out the belt well known for draining bank accounts both in failure and replacement. $600 is an average price for a new timing belt, and that is $500 more than I am willing to spend on this car. So I set out to do the heaviest maintenance I've ever done on a fuel injected engine.

Now, I'm not fearful to tackle a project due to lack of proper tools, as any reason to buy a missing tool has been found and taken advantage of over many years. So when I dug in I had the sockets, wrenches, torx and surprisingly, ply bar I needed. Yep, there sure was a pry bar involved. This job is not for the feint of heart, it seems. In order to dislodge the engine from the engine mount you must jack one side of the engine up a full 6". Sounds like small potatoes? Try saying that when you see your engine tweaked at a 15 degree angle; I was waiting to here some sort of loud *snap* the whole time. Luckily it went smoothly, with no bent or broken parts (that I noticed).

Putting it back together was pretty easy compared to removing parts in a strange arrangement. Torquing the bolts went well and after adding new coolant and a quick oil change, I started her up. More on that in a moment.

While I was in there, I took the opportunity to replace the water pump, which runs off the timing belt and the timing belt tensioner, the most expensive part, weighing in at $93. All the other parts combines barely exceeded the cost of that single part. Other parts replaced were two serpentine belts, coolant (due to water pump replacement), valve cover gasket (with spark plug tube gaskets), standard oil change and spark plugs. With all 10 hours of labor being free, the entire project cost me roughly $170, far less than bringing it in and with more parts replaced.

Okay, on to the moment of truth, the start up. As an ounce of prevention, I sprayed some mystery oil in each plug hole prior to installing the plugs, just to help de-sludge a bit. Knowing this, I assumed there would be some pinging on initial start. So I turned the key and the engine cranked over, and.. "varooom.. ping ping ping knock knock knock". After a sweat bead or two formed on my forehead from the pinging and knocking noises, the engine quieted down and began to sputter while the oil was burned away. After 30 seconds, the giant beast of a 2.0L was purring away without a hitch and, more importantly, without an explosion! After a day of driving it, I went to get it inspected. It passed with no engine computer complaints. Success!

The only real issue I have had was an engine "clunk" when I would shift, which cleared right up with some tightening of the engine mount bolts using my latest tool acquisition, a dog bone wrench.

Will I do this again? Maybe, but I won't be counting the days. My next vehicle will surely have a timing chain.

pmat1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: My Dodge Neon timing belt replacement - The aftermath

I replaced the timing belt on my 1995 isuzu trooper a few months ago, very stressful job indeed.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Try doing any engine that has 4 cams that are all timed individually, and not as pairs, and that is also an interference engine. AKA a DOHC Subaru motor. You need to set, and mark, each pulley by hand, and lock it into place with a special tool. If your off by more than 3 teeth on any 1 pulley then it's whammo.

Good job though, glad to hear it worked out for you!! :D

j_martin

Admiral
Re: My first timing belt replacement

Probably 100% of the pinging and knocking on startup was caused by the unnecessary Marvel Mystery Oil (Kerosene) you sprayed into the cylinders.

i386

Captain

Good job. I've pulled the head off a SOHC 4 cyl before and I can tell you I wouldn't want to do it again (blown head gasket). I will work on cars sometimes out of necessity but I don't like doing it. I don't have the patience for removing all the crap you have to remove just to get to the part you need to work on. All the cramped space, contorted positions, busted nuckles, mashed fingers, etc...

Glad it worked out for you and hope it's a long time before you have to go down that road again.

joey maneri

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Its all in a days work for me. Ive done them all. Im never scared cause its not mine an i have a ride home!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Probably 100% of the pinging and knocking on startup was caused by the unnecessary Marvel Mystery Oil (Kerosene) you sprayed into the cylinders.

+1

I agree.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Replaced the timing belt on My Lexus GS300 last July. Was a pretty nuts and bolts job. Needed a special tool to hold the crank since it is put on with 300 ft lb of torque(yes you read that right).On most cars, it is usually a good time to replace the water pump while you are in there. I replaced both cam seals, the crank seal and all tensioner pulleys and bearings as well. Dealer wanted $1200. Part for my car were around $300 using OEM parts. Found all the parts from the original OEMs who sells to Toyota/Lexus.

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sometimes as far as serviceability goes a belt can be easier than a chain IMO.

Sounds like ya done a good job, bravo. I love when they go that way. :cool:

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

Try doing any engine that has 4 cams that are all timed individually, and not as pairs, and that is also an interference engine. AKA a DOHC Subaru motor. You need to set, and mark, each pulley by hand, and lock it into place with a special tool. If your off by more than 3 teeth on any 1 pulley then it's whammo.

Good job though, glad to hear it worked out for you!! :D

I've always heard Subaru's are a beast of a car to work on. Good thing they are so reliable :)

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Not that reliable....

DSC00029-1.jpg

happened at 55K

puddle jumper

Captain

Best advice i can give on that. Mark all your cams and crank plus make sure you know your timing marks. Crank the engine over by hand two complete rotations and recheck all your marks. If it comes up hard (with the spark plugs out) recheck your belt aliment. Just a reminder always first hand crank your engine over first after replacing your belt. This will save you a big problem if your timing is not correct.

Noob82

Cadet
Don't rag on Marvel Mystery oil

Don't rag on Marvel Mystery oil

First, it isn't "kerosene" and it's been around for 80+ years

Here's the chemistry.

70% Light Aromatic Oil (Pale Oil)
- It is a Naphthenic Oil, so while it oxidizes faster than a Paraffinic oil, it does clean and dissolve sludge and carbon well and cleans up after itself from any oxidation. serves as base oil as well

29% Mineral Spirits
- Cleans Varnish very well. General cleaner. Also acts as an antioxidant.

8 parts per million (ppm) Boron
- Anti-wear (AW)/Extreme-pressure (EP) agent, friction reducer, antioxidant

900 ppm Phosporous
- AW/EP agent

1/2% 1, 2 ortho-Dichlorobenzene
- EP agent as it interacts with Iron to form an Iron chloride barrier under any ZDDP or other AW additives. Also very good cleaner/solvent, and friction reducer

1/4% 1, 4 para-Dichlorobenzene
- EP agent as it interacts with Iron to form an Iron chloride barrier under any ZDDP or other AW additives. Also very good cleaner/solvent, and friction reducer

Oil of wintergreen - Not just for the scent, is also a cleaner and may aid lubricity.

Red Dye - for the color

I've used in my autos for nearly 30 years.

coolguy147

Commander

Not that reliable....

DSC00029-1.jpg

happened at 55K

i dont see what happened? what is that thing in the cylinder?

Pascal

Petty Officer 1st Class

i dont see what happened? what is that thing in the cylinder?

The right hand cylinder shows the top of an intact piston. The left cylinder shows what once connected to the underside of the piston - now clearly departed - along with evidence of the departure process on the side of that connecting rod and the cracks in the cylinder wall at the top and bottom next to the water jacket.

Some real bangin' goin' on - for a while........

coolguy147

Commander

ohhhhh now i see it! i didnt know it was a rod! i couldnt see the back of the cylinder.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

the Subaru 2.5 pancake engine is known for head gasket failure.......I have a friend who is a service writer for a local Subaru dealership....also , when replacing ANY timing belt, you can avoid being off by ANY teeth if you transfer your marks to the new belt......I never heard of "being off by 3 teeth " as acceptable...why would you close up the engine if you were off by any teeth ????? ......I replace 4-5 timing belts a month ,sometimes more...there are never two serpentine belts, if there is more than one belt , they are called drive belts...;)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I never heard of "being off by 3 teeth " as acceptable...why would you close up the engine if you were off by any teeth ????? ......
I don't think that's what he meant. You have an interference problem if you happen to goof and get it 3 teeth or more but it still needs to be exact.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Bruce got it right. What I meant was if you were off by 3 teeth then you have a 1 way ticket to interference city from the start. If you were off and tried to even start the engine then the valves would wack eachother. It's not acceptable at all to be off by even 1 tooth obviously.

That engine died from a headgasket failure and subsequent overheat. Funny thing about coolant temp sensors... they show cold when surrounded by hot air.

jonesg

Admiral

Takes me less than 1 hr to do the timing belt on my volvo 740 with the non interference head. Belt costs $12, waterpump $48.
I don't understand why my volvo parts are so cheap but they are.

Front wheel drive engines are a pain, the volvo fwd is rediculous.

Jason,
the Boston craigslist is advertising for marine mechanics the past few days.
http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/boa/1595273894.html