All this global warming weather we've been having...

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: All this global warming weather we've been having...

Also, don`t people understand that a vehicle that runs on ethanol uses conciderably more fuel to make the same HP than an engine ran on gas???????????
That's not really true as you're talking volume not energy. The Global Warming BS is based on the energy in the fuel. The BTUs to go the same distance is basically the same. That's where the carbon comes from, not the volume . I agree on the rest of your assessment though.

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

I have one question; can we convert our ethanol plants that use corn to Hemp plants? Seems to me that hemp would be a better choice for ethanol than corn, after all corn is a food, hemp has a lot more uses than weed. I don?t believe anyone has been eating it lately,

You look like a brownie guy to me.

treedancer

Commander

Quote RubberFrog

You look like a brownie guy to me.

Nah just hate to see good corn sqeezzins going to waste.;)

PW2

Commander

I kind of get a kick out of the premise of this thread.

Hundreds of dedicated scientists from all over the globe have studied this issue at length and independently and jointly published their findings.

The argument seems to be that there is a global scientific conspiracy, and that all these scientists are willing to put their professional reputations on the line, and in many cases their life's work, just to anger the political right in this country.

And the right wing in this country offers as conclusive evidence of this conspiracy: "It's cold outside today"

I would suspect most of the scientists involved would respond to that: "Go put on a coat".

tommays

Admiral

When they come out with stuff like they think the trees in the mountains are BAD ?

It makes me step back and question everything they conclude :confused:

And when for every pound of green house gas we stop somebody else is putting out 27 it hard to understand why the finger is being pointed at US as the main cause

Tommays

ob

Admiral

I kind of get a kick out of the premise of this thread.

Hundreds of dedicated scientists from all over the globe have studied this issue at length and independently and jointly published their findings.

The argument seems to be that there is a global scientific conspiracy, and that all these scientists are willing to put their professional reputations on the line, and in many cases their life's work, just to anger the political right in this country.

And the right wing in this country offers as conclusive evidence of this conspiracy: "It's cold outside today"

I would suspect most of the scientists involved would respond to that: "Go put on a coat".

What you failed to convey in your comments is that it is the direct causes and cure that is at global debate.That is where the scientific community is divided.Get a grip and listen to the whole story.What you're precious scientists have yet to reveal is their concise plan and timetable for said plan that would reverse,and stabilize this global phenomena so that we could all live happily ever after as the global population continues to increase and people continue to make money from lumber.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, kinda like the left in this country when they hear: "Man, it's hot out tday." Except they respond, "Quick, run. We're all gonna die." :rolleyes:

cbavier

Lieutenant

You think it's cold down there. You ought to be here in Michigan and try and sell that Global warming Bull!

Highs in the low 30's and lows in the teens and 20's and 6-8 inches of snow tonight AND IT'S April 11th. We still have snow on the ground from last week.

Boats suppose to come out of storage next Saturday? I may have to blow snow first!

Pony

Rear Admiral

You think it's cold down there. You ought to be here in Michigan and try and sell that Global warming Bull!

Highs in the low 30's and lows in the teens and 20's and 6-8 inches of snow tonight AND IT'S April 11th. We still have snow on the ground from last week.

Boats suppose to come out of storage next Saturday? I may have to blow snow first!

LMAO!, its gonna melt in a few days. Sure its frustrating, but it what we get for living in the upper midwest!

Its payback from the global warming 80F we had last month, and the nearly snowless December.

cbavier

Lieutenant

First Great job on Restoring the old Evinrude and the Boat. They both look fabulous. Keep the Motor Cover Waxed good. That will protect it from the UV rays and also from any minor scratches.

Second 80 Dg ??? We haven't saw 80 Dg since last September. We did have a dry December but 15 inches of snow the end of Oct and November and it stayed on the ground until December when it all melted. It got above 32 Dg.

I don't want to mislead anyone. We are about 100 miles south of the Mackinaw Bridge right in the center of the Northern Lower pennisula.

Yea I saw my first Robbin last week and the Red-Wing Blackbirds are back so Spring is coming.

I have a lot of things I want to do and I guess I am getting impatient.

PW2

Commander

Ob,

My comment was specifically directed at this thread, and the notion somehow that the recent cold snap is somehow indicative that global warming doesn't exist.

No reputable scientist will conclude that any specific weather event is directly related to global warming, or that there is a "direct" link between one phenomenum and another. The best you are likely to get is some percent probability that one is linked to another. It is far too complex a science.

What you are likely to get is measurable data that says, on average, that the earth has been warming, on average, and CO2 levels are at historically high levels and seem to be continuing to rise, and that computer models suggest there is a link between the two, and if the earth continues to rise in temperature, there are likely to be serious ramifications to that.

No serious scientist is going to say that if we do X, it will definitely produce Y result. Unfortunately science simply doesn't work like that. If you require irrefutable absolute evidence, when that happens, it will be too late.

No one can say with absolute certainty what effect lowering carbon emissions will immediately have, or how much will produce what effect, but it is known that human activity puts more carbon in the atmosphere, that the current levels are at historical highs, and that reducing carbon emissions are unlikely to be detrimental, are very likely to impede this process.

It's worth a try in my book, even if it is solely based on the old Boy Scout notion of always leaving a place no worse than you found it.

Oh, and since the lumber industry in North America tends to plant 6 new trees for every one harvested, they as an industry on balance probably help this situation more than they hurt it.

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.

~Marcus Aurelius

The world is warming FACT is it not disputed by any scientist. This warming changes the environment we live in FACT. flora and forna changes we get different wildlife , bird migrations change etc. None of this is in dispute.

The debate is the cause of the warming and the degree of the effects. This is not a republican v democrat thing its a science thing. Read the information and make an informed decision dont make a decision based on weather :)pun) it snowed in April.

Have fun

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

10" of snow in the middle of April. Coldest winter in years. But hey have some kool-aid and believe that temperature has nothing to do with global warming.

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

There's that old hypocritical liberal logic again...

Global Warming! The Sky is Falling! Everyone stop producing co2! While they continue to drive their car and boat... give me a break.

China puts out more co2 then we do... but you claim we should cut back to be an example to them.... a world leader!

Let me take the logic of your example one step further... how about all of you bleeding libs sell your cars/boats and start pedaling/sailing... be an example to us... a domestic leader!

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Frog your right, Global warming is not a problem Ive just had the best easter boating in years its never been warmer. Bloody liberals they just want to spoil our fun! Ill cut down once our summer temperature reaches 95 degrees or Im underwater!

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

C, I am assuming everything after the first comma was unrelated to my post?

If libs are so concerned about GW, why don't they put their lifestyle where their mouth is? Or is it that their mouth is just too big?

If I really thought the sky was falling, I would put a hard hat on BEFORE I tried to pass a law making everyone else wear a hard hat. Do you see the hypocrisy?

SuperNova

Lieutenant

It's just a shame that politics has to get in the way off properly assessing a global event which will affect us all......saying the temp and CO2 are at historical highs.....how long exactly have we been measuring these things?? Not very long in the overall scheme of things. FACT: The only true constant is change--things change. Things about the Earth-weather in particular- run in cycles and we haven't been observing this particular phenomenon long enough to know it's not just another cycle. Humans like to waste huge amounts of resources attempting to stop change, usually to no avail. And you can't always trust the "scientific community" to tell the truth-mainly because they usually don't know the whole truth. Remember the panic right before Y2K? How much B.S. did that turn out to be? How many of the "panic purveyors" became rich "fixing" everything? Cynical maybe, but humans are a bunch of sniveling whiners who are willing to pay any price to be "safe", Patriot Act anybody? And the last time I checked all the trees that are disappearing are in the rain forests, none of which are in North America and thus none of which are being replaced 6 to 1.

ob

Admiral

SN,I'm no chest thumper when it comes to the global warming craze,but make no mistake,the tropical rain forests comprise just under 2% of the earths surface and contribute from 20-40% of the earths oxygen,depending on what research info you browse.The state of the earths tropical rain forests should be everyones concern.

Pony

Rear Admiral

First Great job on Restoring the old Evinrude and the Boat. They both look fabulous. Keep the Motor Cover Waxed good. That will protect it from the UV rays and also from any minor scratches.

Second 80 Dg ??? We haven't saw 80 Dg since last September. We did have a dry December but 15 inches of snow the end of Oct and November and it stayed on the ground until December when it all melted. It got above 32 Dg.

I don't want to mislead anyone. We are about 100 miles south of the Mackinaw Bridge right in the center of the Northern Lower pennisula.

Yea I saw my first Robbin last week and the Red-Wing Blackbirds are back so Spring is coming.

I have a lot of things I want to do and I guess I am getting impatient.

Thanks for the compliments cbavier.

Last month we had two days where the temperature got up into the middle to upper 70's. Besides that it has been in the 40's for the most part. Even my relatives up North had temps in the 70's, and they are just 20 miles south of Lake Superior. I guess you just missed out on those two days on your side of the Lake.

SuperNova

Lieutenant

You misinterpreted(?) my meaning, ob. I also am saying the rainforests are everyones concern and contrary to what pw2 said about the north american logging industry replacing every tree it cuts down with 6 new saplings, the rainforests are not in north america and are not being replaced 6 to 1, much to the detriment of the atmospheres delicate balance. Sorry for the confusion.

--
Stan