PhotoBucket and picture size?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
I tried numerous times, to downsize a picture so I would not engage those dratted scrol bars. Because there is no bar at the top of the post, it makes it a PITA to read the text.

I ended up cutting the picture width by 50%. It made no difference. It was a horizontal picture that started out 1280 x 960. You can post a vertical picture that is 960 x 1280 and it won't trigger the scroll bar. Anyway it appears that it does not matter what size picture you upload on PhotoBucket. It seems to upload to a certain size no matter what size your picture is.

Any remedies out there?

tommays

Admiral
Re: PhotoBucket and picture size?

i resize all my pictures BEFORE i upload them to 640 X 480 pixels and save them as "boatsmall.jpg"

It usally allows a good balance between quality and viewing speed

Tommays

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Tommays, I resized the pic in question, in Corel, to 600 x 480. That is 300+ pixels narrower than the vertical picture I posted below it.

The resized horizontal picture, (600 x 480) hosted by photobucket, still triggered the scroll bars, where as the un-resized 960 x 1280 vertical picture does not. Something is going on in photobucket with sizing.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

I had a problem like that on P/B the other day. Ended up changing the name of the pic before i uploaded it (for the fifth or sixth time trying to resize)and that cured the problem. I think once you upload it from your origional files PB my up load from memory if you try to load the same pic again. Try changing the name of the photo (add a 0 or a 1 at the end of the file name/number) in your photo album then try uploading.

When I was having that problem the properties of the photo on P/B and the pic I posted in the forum did not match. Deleting the P/B pic, the pic that I posted, and changing the name of the pic in my photo album solved the problem. Restart from scratch.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I had a problem like that on P/B the other day. Ended up changing the name of the pic before i uploaded it (for the fifth or sixth time trying to resize)and that cured the problem. I think once you upload it from your origional files PB my up load from memory if you try to load the same pic again. Try changing the name of the photo (add a 0 or a 1 at the end of the file name/number) in your photo album then try uploading.

When I was having that problem the properties of the photo on P/B and the pic I posted in the forum did not match. Deleting the P/B pic, the pic that I posted, and changing the name of the pic in my photo album solved the problem. Restart from scratch.

I'll have to try that RP. I did, infact, keep resizing the picture while giving it the same name.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I use Picasa for my photos on my computer. When I want to send one to my photobucket account I resize it first.

Picasa has an export option and you select the size to be exported at (I always use 640x480) and I send them to a folder on my desktop.

From there I load them into photobucket.

640x480 works the fastest and is still workable.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I just resized another landscape picture to a width of 960 pixels, the same width as a portrait picture that did not engage the scroll bars. I uploaded it to PB, then copied it over to iboats. It engaged the scroll bar. This was all a fresh picture with a new file number so there was no chance that any cache memory was controlling it, either on PB or iB.:(

i386

Captain

Just curious boomy what resolution is your display set to on your computer? 640x480? 800x600? 1024x768? 1280x1024? The reason I ask is if it's at 640 and you have a picture at 640 or higher it's probably gonna scroll.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

i, I'm running 1024 x 768 with a 19" crt. My camera produces a portrait picture of 960 x 1280. These I can upload to PB and copy to iboats and they do not engage the scroll bar.

My cameras landscape picture is the reverse, 1280 x 960 pixels. When I upload them on PB then copy them to iboats, they do engage the scroll bars.

It stands to reason then, that if I reduce the width of my 1280 landscape picture to 960, that it too, thru PB, should not engage the scroll bar, but not so.

i386

Captain

It stands to reason then, that if I reduce the width of my 1280 landscape picture to 960, that it too, thru PB, should not engage the scroll bar

A agree. Let's do a little test. Post one of those pics in this thread so i can see what it's doing.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

A agree. Let's do a little test. Post one of those pics in this thread so i can see what it's doing.

Do you want it posted full size, thru PB, or my reduced one? Either way, I should post a landscape and a portrait picture for your comparison.

i386

Captain

Basically I want to know what size it was when you uploaded it. Then I want to see it for myself to see if it's been resized by PB somehow. Also want to see if I get the scrollbars too. I have a 21" CRT and running at 1280x1024. I have quite a bit of dead space on either side of iBoats web site.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Basically I want to know what size it was when you uploaded it. Then I want to see it for myself to see if it's been resized by PB somehow. Also want to see if I get the scrollbars too. I have a 21" CRT and running at 1280x1024. I have quite a bit of dead space on either side of iBoats web site.

Ok, I will post the resized portrait picture. Resized from 1280 wide to 960 wide, in Corel, then uploaded to PB and posted here.

DSCF0635-960wide.jpg

Here is an un-resized 960 wide portrait picture from the same camera.

DSCF0634.jpg

i386

Captain

Well I think PB is resizing them..

The top picture is 800x600. It might not have been when you uploaded it, but it is now.

The bottom picture is 600x800. It's narrower, but taller than the first. There's no need for the side scroll to be there, but yup I get it too.

PB isn't causing the scrollbar though. I would post a question in the forum issues forum or whatever it's called. I would use those same 2 images posted here and see what they say.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Well I think PB is resizing them..

The top picture is 800x600. It might not have been when you uploaded it, but it is now.

The bottom picture is 600x800. It's narrower, but taller than the first. There's no need for the side scroll to be there, but yup I get it too.

PB isn't causing the scrollbar though. I would post a question in the forum issues forum or whatever it's called. I would use those same 2 images posted here and see what they say.

Something is goofy somewhere. I even posted a Landscape picture that I resized to 600 pixels wide (b4 uploading to PB) and it still triggered the scroll bar. That was virtually cut in half. I will post as you say.

tommays

Admiral

A few thoughts, i allways allow the photo to keep its orginal aspect ratio ? and just use the shrink buy percent until its in the 640 X 480 ballpark

Tommays

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

A few thoughts, i allways allow the photo to keep its orginal aspect ratio ? and just use the shrink buy percent until its in the 640 X 480 ballpark

Tommays

Here is the above landscape picture, resized from 1280 x 960 to 640 x 480, having maintained it's aspect ratio. I guess it worked? I am sure that I had reduced one of these 1280 wides to 600 wide before and it strill triggered the scroll bar. Maybe I did not.

Thanks tommays.

DSCF0635-640x480.jpg

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Boom there is a menu in the upper right hand corner when your in photobucket.........sizing......then you go here and pick your flavor

sizing.jpg