1961 Starcraft - 'The whole' story

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1961 Starcraft - 'The whole' story

I don't think you've got any serious issues with your motor Kenny. There's a lot of adjustment on those cables and you may just be off. Replacements aren't too expensive either. I think a lot of people overthink their electrical stuff on here. I wire everything like it's a train layout :p hook up all the positives and negatives couple switches if needed and let 'er rip. Fuses? What fuses :D

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

"fuses? what fuses" LOL

Found the shift problem...when I had the controls apart to identify the tach wiring colors/code, the pin that hold's it{cable end} in place{freefloating pin btw} must of raised up during my playing around and let the cable end slip out ....it's all good now :D

Dang weather...again!!!!...rain, thundershowers/storms predicted all weekend :mad:

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Update...

I hate when life get's in the way!
Still haven't hit the water, been tuff trying to find enough time to finish up the little things and some larger things{need to pull the trailer bearings out for inspection} Did get the bilge pump in and the thru hull cut for it yesterday evening. The guy I bought the Imperial from stopped by the other day for a chat, came back a half hour later with another 6.5 gallon plastic fuel tank he said he forgot to give me originally{thought that was cool of him}, need to tie it and the other one along with the batteries to the deck. Guess there's nothing stopping me{cept'n time :(} from mounting the pedestals & seats. Waiting on an order from here for my throttle cable and some odd n ends, hopefully 4th of July she'll be subjected to testing my resto capabilities or lack of..lol although that weekend would not be my main choice, it's a nut house around here on a regular weekend, let alone a holiday...I started this mess on a holiday{Thanksgiving} for a Holiday;) might as well end it{I hope} on one as well!

Hope all is well with all.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Glad to see a update, I thought I was going to have to head down to the St. Clair launch to see the rig;)

Seems appropriate enough to me to launch her on a holiday, but you know you could just sit on a cooler and leave the gas tank just sitting under the splashwell unsecured in the meantime too:D

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Glad to see a update, I thought I was going to have to head down to the St. Clair launch to see the rig;)

Seems appropriate enough to me to launch her on a holiday, but you know you could just sit on a cooler and leave the gas tank just sitting under the splashwell unsecured in the meantime too:D

LOL, if I do that, satisfaction may set in these lazy old bones ;)
and by the way, the way those fish sacrifice themselves to me, the cooler wouldn't close for the ride in :p

sprintst

Commander

Make sure to get pics posted once you get time to work on her.

Hopefully I can get some stuff done this week too.

jspano

Senior Chief Petty Officer

kenny we need pics ... something any thing heck look at my thread i stooped to pics of manatees

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

No new pic's, but so as not to let anyone down...lol, here's a few to keep things going...

My roots from Dad's side...Dad's the little squirt{lower left}, his dad{grandpa to me} sitting next to him, my great grandpa standing behind him...along with a couple of uncle's and great uncles...thinking this was around 1940ish...that's snow piled up behind them...
minidad3.jpg

Me teaching a couple of niece's the fine art of crawler fishing lol...they're both married now and the tin boat {which if I recall correctly was a Monkey Wards} is long gone, but that Hiawatha 5 hp is still in Dad's garage up north, and the girls have passed the tradition on to their families...
11563664.jpg

Me drowning in guitar study a couple yrs ago...lol...
31309606.gif

Hey at least they all fit a water theme...almost on topic :D
Hope ya enjoyed the flashback...I always do

jspano

kenny great photos!!

that pic with you and the nieces... i see a little likeness in your avatar

Huron Angler

Admiral

Very cool photos Kenny...the one with the car looks like it was taken up north:)

It sure does look like a early 40s ride to me too, my Grandpa-in-law just finished a restoration on a '38 Cadillac V8 that is very similar to that one. Suicide doors and all.

Can't wait to see the photos of the big tin can on the water too:D

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Yep Mike, up north is correct, the 'Lear' area which you've probably heard of ;)
North of Lachine, S.W. of Posen, those woods in the background belonged to my Granddad for many a year.

Those pics of my tub on the water are coming soon{hope I didn't just jinx myself lol}.

Flashbacks and hindsight Bob ;):D

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

I love old family pictures. Very cool.

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Hopefully someday this year I'll get her on the water

Seems I jumped the gun earlier when I said I had the wiring done, silly me, it's not done until the fat lady sings, and it seems she was just clearing her throat.

Anyways, piddling with this and that and whatnot's, gone this far without splashing her, may as well finish it...and yes..I am getting quite good at making motor noises in the driveway :D

Made a little storage box for under the dash...fit the foot supports to it..
minidscf2130.jpg

and being as I'm lazy and out of shape, I figured I better make it easy access...
full extension slides brings it out for searching thru... also added two more small led lights on the backside of the dash, which lights the box up inside very nicely...excuse the wires hanging, I need more butt connectors, heat shrink and another switch to hide those showing.
minidscf2131.jpg

Also, finally used up the last of the plywood from this project and the Imperial. Made what I call 'step boxes'...great size for the fenders, first aid, etc without being to obtrusive on the deck, beefed them up in the center with 2"x2" support's which hold my big behind and makes exiting much easier...oh yea, the seat & pedestals are not yet mounted, as aren't the gas cans and rear batteries..
minidscf2134.jpg

And lastly, got the motion security light installed, our bedroom and survival aids ;) are right next to the driveway...I'll sleep better tonight
minidscf2140.jpg

jspano

kenny that is really looking sweet, i like the storage both at the dash and the deck. the HSF on the drink holder is awesome. i have to keep remembering that i can't read sarcasim in your the post, cause you keep talking about a lack of skills, and i just don't see them as lacking. brother that looks great, nice work

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Pretty sweet Kenny. Your interior work is very nice. You've done quite a job here.

If you need electrical supplies Genuinedealz.com is hard to beat. Free shipping and low prices.

You didn't really want to splash on 4th of July weekend anyway. Lake St. Clair is going to be crowded beyond belief.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Looking great as always Kenny, nice work on the storage.:)

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer

Looks great - ! feel better as there is least one person - maybe two NB - who spent more time on money on their old tin can me!

Brand new boat!